Travis

Fun Games
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 01 May, 2010 10:09 PM Quote
What games did you play when you were a kid? I'm specifically interested in a game that is NOT available worldwide, like Monopoly. Something that is regional to where you live that the rest of us don't know about would be cool.

I didn't play games much. Only child in a single parent household and all. I think I only owned 3 games in my life and never played them with more than one other person. They were Monopoly, checkers, and Hungry, Hungry, Hippos.

I'd like to know what the rest of the world plays, though.

Re: Fun Games
Nell
Nell Posted Sat 01 May, 2010 10:48 PM Quote

We always had wooden toys from a Swiss firm. Kinda like the stuff that's on naturaltoys.ch - called Brio. It's really great!
http://www.findix.com/data/adpix/picture_L/brio-eisenbahn-195602.jpg

I specially loved the wooden railway and the marble run. I just loved murbles so I even
http://www.naturaltoys.ch/contents/media/l_113100-113120.jpg

Also had these "my little pony" collection...and Lego of course! http://informatik-student.serverstack.de/images/lego_relativity.jpg

and I just realised that you're looking for games not toys..sorry. erm...Cockroaches salad!
We still play it. It's hilarious:
All you've got to do is name the veggie that's on your card. But you can't say the word your neighbour's just said or the one veggie that's forbidden - then you've got to lie. And all that you've got to do FAST :) it's brilliant!!!
Simple, very simple but smart and certainly not easy. Cos the more you think about what you can't say the surer it get's that you'll say it. :)
http://www.superfred.de/kakerlakensalat.gif

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 2:34 AM Quote
As for regional games:

Cornhole!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/amieel/4th%20of%20July%20in%20CA/IMG_1497.jpg

It's like horseshoes with beanbags. We also played horseshoes. Oh, Cincinnati, probably the only place where you can ask your friends if they're up for a three way after you play cornhole and nobody will bat an eyelash. ;)

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 6:44 AM Quote
hide and seek
First you pick someone to be "it" (the person to seek) then he/she turns around and counts to 100 (nobody ever really counted to 100) with their eyes closed at the "base" while the rest of the people hide. Then "It" says "Ready or Not, Here I Come" and rushes to find everyone. Then the people try to get back to the base without getting tagged or else they are "It". If the person who is "It" doesn't get someone in three tries he/she gets to pick a someone to be it!

mili
mili Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 9:31 AM Quote
One of the favourite board games of my childhood was (it's still popular) Afrikan tähti (the Star of Africa)
http://timo.herd.fi/images/afrikantahti190.jpg

"Afrikan tähti (Star of Africa) is a legendary game, one that nearly every Finn knows. Designed by late Kari Mannerla in 1949 (at the age of 19), it has thus far sold 3,5 million copies (1,7 million outside Finland!) and is cherished in childhood memories all over the country. It has also been translated to 16 languages, and is still available in nearly all Finnish supermarkets and bookstores.

Why am I writing about this? Well, browsing an auction site, looking for a fun board game to play, we found a rare sequel!

Afrikan tähti a fairly simple and straightforward game; the one who finds the fabulous Star of Africa diamond and returns it to either one of the starting points is the winner. The players earn money from various other gems they discover, but are also in danger to lose all their possessions to bandits. The rules of the game take 5 minutes to learn, and one game takes about half an hour (unless the diamond is very close to a starting point, in which case the game can be over in less than a minute).

Many reasons for the games success have been presented, ranging from the simplistic rules to the romantic view of the colonialistic era, and the truth is probably a combination of them all. The game still sells 30,000 copies a year, so whatever the reason for its success might be, it remains an integral part of Finnish cultural heritage, along with Nokia, rye bread, Fazer milk chocolate, and Father Christmas."
http://timo.herd.fi/pivot/entry.php?id=85

Of outdoor games Kirkonrotta (Church Rat) is still played. It's basically hide and seek, but involves "back washing", rhymes, kind of prison and rescuing caught rats. The rules vary a bit. Hours of fun, we even had a night time version with flash lights.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 12:23 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
hide and seek
First you pick someone to be "it" (the person to seek) then he/she turns around and counts to 100 (nobody ever really counted to 100) with their eyes closed at the "base" while the rest of the people hide. Then "It" says "Ready or Not, Here I Come" and rushes to find everyone. Then the people try to get back to the base without getting tagged or else they are "It". If the person who is "It" doesn't get someone in three tries he/she gets to pick a someone to be it!

did you just explain hide and seek? I really dont think that was Scotland specific, dude. We used to have epic hide and seek games in the dark on my street as kids. Everyone would dress in black.

Edel
Edel Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 12:56 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:
hide and seek

did you just explain hide and seek? I really dont think that was Scotland specific, dude. We used to have epic hide and seek games in the dark on my street as kids. Everyone would dress in black.

Maybe its specific to Scotland to play 'hide n peek' when youre twenty something and it involves neighbours n curtains? ;0)

Edel
Edel Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 12:57 PM Quote
Error_1! = double posting. We need a delete button

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 2:12 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:
hide and seek

someone somewhere wont have played it. it's not like it was a good game

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 4:51 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
monkey wrote:
hide and seek

We played hide and see all the time. We also played one similar to it called Sardines. One person would go and hide and then everyone else would go and look for that person. Once you found that person, you would hide with them. Eventually everyone ends up packed in the hiding spot like sardines. The last person to find everyone loses and the game starts all over again.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 7:51 PM Quote
I LOVE playing sardines! Nothing says bonding like hiding in a closet or under a bed with 10 of your closest friends.

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 8:17 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I LOVE playing sardines! Nothing says bonding like hiding in a closet or under a bed with 10 of your closest friends.

you still play sardines?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 8:35 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
minnmess wrote:

you still play sardines?

I did play a few months ago! But I was babysitting.

We definatly played in high school though. It's still fun/funny. Especially in big backyards or big old houses.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 11:20 PM Quote
Mili's game looks really cool!

I have never heard of sardines.

One thing we used to do when we played tag was having "gool." I'm not sure if everyone called it that. I think it might be a mid-western US term. If you are on "gool" you are safe and cannot be tagged. See definitions #3 and #6.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gool

Kristy
Kristy Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 9:45 PM Quote
knock a door run

great fun when you're about ten.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:27 AM