Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
mili
mili Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:12 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Meridith, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but maybe you should try to make the logo bigger!

Such is the life of a designer. Don has this client who wanted a web site that reflected "balance." BALANCE! BALANCE! IT'S ALL ABOUT BALANCE! So, Don would give him things that reflected balance and the guy would say, "No, I want something that says 'balance.'" After several rejects, he finds out that this guy has a marketing team that he did NOT consult before his brilliant "balance" idea, and they HATE the idea of balance and the whole thing has to be done over again.

LOL that video is awesome! Yes, that definitely is the life of a designer. sigh. That's frustrating about Don's client. Starting over SUCKS! I can't tell you how many times I have a client dead set on something, I give them my opinion on why it wouldn't work, and then do it for them because that is what they are paying me to do, and then they hate it, so I have to start over. If they would just listen to me in the first place. But sometimes they just have to see it for themselves. Not only do I have design woes, my computer is being slooooooooow and I need to upgrade to CS5 AND get a new computer so I can run CS5. But first, I need to finish these freelance projects and get paid, so I can buy these things. sigh.

I made a logo a couple of years ago to a veg and fresh seafood company in cooperation with an advertising agency (their client, my designs). It started with quite nice colour scheme with shapes of fruit, veg and fish. Then the pictures were taken off and we were left with just colourful squares. There was still some idea with colours, until the client decided to have only hues of two, thus destroying all the references to the produce. I offered some fonts, and then just for fun added Futura condensed italic (all caps) (as they were pushing Arial or something like that), and slanted their squares to match the font. Success! But not something I'm very proud of, knowing what could've been.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:20 PM Quote
mili wrote:
For the frustrated designers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2rrFiN1Jw

Clients can be bad for your ego, it's best to just smile and wave (great wisdom from Madagascar the film), as long as they pay the bill. I can't say I'm proud of all the stuff that leaves my office, but sometimes you just have to stop hitting your head against a brick wall and let it go.

Mili- that video cracked me up! I do need some new fonts....:) I'm not always proud of what goes out either, but at the end of the day if the client is happy and I'm paid, I consider that a good thing.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:23 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Meridith wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Meridith, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but maybe you should try to make the logo bigger!

Such is the life of a designer. Don has this client who wanted a web site that reflected "balance." BALANCE! BALANCE! IT'S ALL ABOUT BALANCE! So, Don would give him things that reflected balance and the guy would say, "No, I want something that says 'balance.'" After several rejects, he finds out that this guy has a marketing team that he did NOT consult before his brilliant "balance" idea, and they HATE the idea of balance and the whole thing has to be done over again.

LOL that video is awesome! Yes, that definitely is the life of a designer. sigh. That's frustrating about Don's client. Starting over SUCKS! I can't tell you how many times I have a client dead set on something, I give them my opinion on why it wouldn't work, and then do it for them because that is what they are paying me to do, and then they hate it, so I have to start over. If they would just listen to me in the first place. But sometimes they just have to see it for themselves. Not only do I have design woes, my computer is being slooooooooow and I need to upgrade to CS5 AND get a new computer so I can run CS5. But first, I need to finish these freelance projects and get paid, so I can buy these things. sigh.

I made a logo a couple of years ago to a veg and fresh seafood company in cooperation with an advertising agency (their client, my designs). It started with quite nice colour scheme with shapes of fruit, veg and fish. Then the pictures were taken off and we were left with just colourful squares. There was still some idea with colours, until the client decided to have only hues of two, thus destroying all the references to the produce. I offered some fonts, and then just for fun added Futura condensed italic (all caps) (as they were pushing Arial or something like that), and slanted their squares to match the font. Success! But not something I'm very proud of, knowing what could've been.

There's got to be some sort of design graveyard for designs that should've been. A memorial of sorts.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:46 PM Quote
I can't find that video of the graphic designer who is working with his client who is a baby, and he asks him what his budget is and the baby yells, "NO MONEY!" And the guy is telling him he's done 8 revisions for free, when the agreement was only 3 or 5 or something. Remember that one?

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 5:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I can't find that video of the graphic designer who is working with his client who is a baby, and he asks him what his budget is and the baby yells, "NO MONEY!" And the guy is telling him he's done 8 revisions for free, when the agreement was only 3 or 5 or something. Remember that one?

Yes, I've seen it! Too funny!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:06 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Congrats on the new job Dubz! Hope your ankle is okay and feels better soon. Maybe try to ice it a bit today. I had something similar happen to me in the fall. I don't remember twisting it or actually injuring it, but it just didn't feel right. I went in and had an x-ray done but nothing looked off. Dr. thought it was a mild sprain and just said to ice it and take it a little easier. I hope you are able to keep with your training one you start your new job. It's sooooo hard to get back into it once you stop. I haven't run since November and I just can find the motivation to get out there and do it. I've got a race coming up in a couple months that I need to start training for but I'm finding all kinds of excuses to not do it. Now that the weather is turning nice, I really have no excuse.

Thank you and I'll try the ice tonight, can't do any harm. I was the same was just starting to get into my training programme when the weather closed in October/November last year, as the weather has picked up I thought I'd better get back into it. Good Luck with the training and I hope your designing business turns around soon.

Dubz

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:42 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Meridith wrote:
Congrats on the new job Dubz! Hope your ankle is okay and feels better soon. Maybe try to ice it a bit today. I had something similar happen to me in the fall. I don't remember twisting it or actually injuring it, but it just didn't feel right. I went in and had an x-ray done but nothing looked off. Dr. thought it was a mild sprain and just said to ice it and take it a little easier. I hope you are able to keep with your training one you start your new job. It's sooooo hard to get back into it once you stop. I haven't run since November and I just can find the motivation to get out there and do it. I've got a race coming up in a couple months that I need to start training for but I'm finding all kinds of excuses to not do it. Now that the weather is turning nice, I really have no excuse.

Thank you and I'll try the ice tonight, can't do any harm. I was the same was just starting to get into my training programme when the weather closed in October/November last year, as the weather has picked up I thought I'd better get back into it. Good Luck with the training and I hope your designing business turns around soon.

Dubz

Thanks!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:52 PM Quote
Well the BIG NEWS today: Kristy and I had the opportunity to touch the aviator jacket which used to belong to C Firth! It pretty much made our week. hahaa.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:55 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Well the BIG NEWS today: Kristy and I had the opportunity to touch an aviator jacket which used to belong to C Firth!It pretty much made our week. hahaa.

LOL!! Well, that IS big news! Congrats to the both of you :)

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:55 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:

Moo- that is great news! What will you be doing as an ambassador?

Scottish Dubliner wrote:

moo_the_evil_boffin wrote:
I got a job as a student ambassador for my university! The extra money means that I'll definitely be able to live down here for my placement year (no student finance for placements - boo!)! Woohoo!!

That's great news Moo, Well Done !!

Dubz

Thanks guys! Hope all goes well for both of you :-)

Being a student ambassador means I'll basically have to represent my university in various schools/colleges and events. I've gone for the subject ambassador too, which means I'll give psychology lectures to prospective students so they get a feel for what the course is like. I've got to give a presentation to my lecturers to get approved for this role - scary but I'm really looking forward to it :-D

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 10:03 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Well the BIG NEWS today: Kristy and I had the opportunity to touch the aviator jacket which used to belong to C Firth! It pretty much made our week. hahaa.

I might have cuddled with the sleeve a little bit. We also learned that Scarlet Johanson is way skinnier than either of us could believe. (based on her dress, not seeing her).

Really liked a house that I saw tonight. Nice neighbourhood, super close to the station. Good price. But we think we are not cool enough for the guys that live there.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:12 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Really liked a house that I saw tonight. Nice neighbourhood, super close to the station. Good price. But we think we are not cool enough for the guys that live there.

Don't underestimate your coolness.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 9:27 AM Quote
I'm with Kayte on the above, Coolness is relative (there's a very fine line between Cool as F**k & looking like a Dickhead)

Beautiful morning in Dublin, been out for a run along the canal already (Canals are great for running relatively flat and tarmac instead of concrete).

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 12:23 PM Quote
Okay, saw a BEAUTIFUL flat this morning in a gorgeous village at a reasonable price. I want it so hard. We are trying to play it cool, but we want it! SO MUCH CLOSET SPACE.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 02 Apr, 2011 12:41 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Okay, saw a BEAUTIFUL flat this morning in a gorgeous village at a reasonable price.I want it so hard. We are trying to play it cool, but we want it! SO MUCH CLOSET SPACE.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Shocked.gif

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 Next All Times UTC Current Time 1:35 AM