Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 4:23 AM Quote
Indeed I do! Probably more now that I have a toddler that wrecks my home in 1 second flat ;)

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 5:29 AM Quote
I met up with (samurai)Sandy and her husband Tyler a few times while they were vacationing in Seattle. I hung out with them Saturdat night at the Iron & Wine concert and we met up for dinner tonight. I love getting to hang out with boardies! They're the best!

mili
mili Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 8:09 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
mili wrote:
Another round of collecting money for a camp school about to start. At least it'll be the last!

what's a camp school?

I don't know if there's a more official word for it, that's a direct translation from Finnish. Anyways, these camp schools typically occur at the start of the 6th and/or 9th school year (Last years of the school stages). The class goes somewhere for a few days with a couple of teachers and a parent or two to "study" outside school premises. For the younger ones it's often something like three days in some sort of activities centre, where there are sports, handicrafts, rafting or something like that. For the 9th graders it can be similar to the 6th graders' activity or even a trip abroad.

My oldest just came back from four nights in Strasbourg (most of the kids in her class have French as the first foreign language), where they had both sightseeing and museum related tasks, went to the European Parliament etc.

School doesn't pay for these trips, so families have to raise the funds themselves. I really hate selling loorolls, washing powder, opera tickets etc to all my friends and family. Thankfully there are some other more suitable jobs, too, + some of the fee we pay straight to an account.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 12:58 PM Quote
Field trip, gotcha.
You have to sell toilet paper?! Jeesh, our stuff was normally chocolates!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 1:22 PM Quote
Arse.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 15 Sep, 2011 9:41 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Field trip, gotcha.

Field trip! Sounds like something shorter term and involving wellies.

Yup, classes sell toilet paper, kitchen rolls, socks, candles, opera and theatre tickets, washing powder, picture frames, biscuits, raffle tickets, organise cafés at school functions, discos etc, and parents still end up paying something on top of buying all that stuff. Also, a lot of people are fed up with all this force-selling by classes, sport teams and scout groups (they "only" sell advent calendars and biscuits + have bazaars).
There's a whole catalogue of stuff kids can sell to raise money, the companies send it to the school with another brochure advertising suitable targets for the field trip. It's a massive industry!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 16 Sep, 2011 5:40 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
I met up with (samurai)Sandy and her husband Tyler a few times while they were vacationing in Seattle. I hung out with them Saturdat night at the Iron & Wine concert and we met up for dinner tonight. I love getting to hang out with boardies! They're the best!

I'm back to work after spending almost a week in Seattle. I had a great time! And, getting to see Lindsay was great!! I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

The weather in Seattle was so great, I brought it home with me ;) We had a great time, but it's nice to be home.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 16 Sep, 2011 7:53 PM Quote
mili wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Field trip, gotcha.

Field trip! Sounds like something shorter term and involving wellies.

field trip is pretty much the generic term for any trip out of school. I wonder if they did originally take place in the field. with wellies. SOunds fun!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 16 Sep, 2011 10:18 PM Quote
The elementary schools in our area do a 5th grade camp. I think it's 2 or 3 days. We do enough fund raising for girl scouts. Now we have a cub scout and a daisy scout this year. Oh, boy. I've never known any group to sell toilet paper, though!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 17 Sep, 2011 3:46 PM Quote
the annual American-Australian-Japanese-Spanish invasion has begun. if things go as usual, Italian caravans will take over the whole city next weekend. I'm not complaining, those crazy beer lovers do great things for the local economy! ;)

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 18 Sep, 2011 1:46 AM Quote
Last month i seen this really pretty lassy at my local with a girl who is good friends with my sister. So, like a true coward the next morning i described girl x to the twin and it turns out she knows her quite well. Long story short, twin passed on my facebook profile and said that i thought she was very pretty and now we are going out on a date :).

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 18 Sep, 2011 1:49 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:

If this were a FB uppdate i would 'like' it. Hanging out with boardies is awesome

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 18 Sep, 2011 1:53 AM Quote
monkey wrote:
Last month i seen this really pretty lassy at my local with a girl who is good friends with my sister. So, like a true coward the next morning i described girl x to the twin and it turns out she knows her quite well. Long story short, twin passed on my facebook profile and said that i thought she was very pretty and now we are going out on a date :).

Good for you!

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 18 Sep, 2011 3:57 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
monkey wrote:

Good for you!

i thought so

mili
mili Posted Sun 18 Sep, 2011 5:27 PM Quote
Sounds good, Andrew!

I've been doing mundane tasks like sewing a raincover for my husband's cycling rucksack (serious bodging) and ironing. Also, cycling. It's been a perfect autumn day, + 15° C and sunny.

Pages Previous 1...143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:02 AM