Suspenders for stockings are garters.

It's amazing any of us can communicate.

two nations divided by a common language and all of that

Because there's a fucking "H" in it ??

Dubz

Re: British to (probably North American) English Translation
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Apr, 2010 1:52 AM Quote
What is with the make-up??? I've seen him in guy liner before, but he's gone all out on that.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Apr, 2010 2:02 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
What is with the make-up??? I've seen him in guy liner before, but he's gone all out on that.

he is pretty well known for his cross dressing

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Apr, 2010 2:26 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

he is pretty well known for his cross dressing

Oh.
I don't understand that. It's so much more trouble to dress femininely. I'd be glad if I never had to do it.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:08 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
minnmess wrote:

yes, shagging flies is a thing. I played baseball for years.

Me too. Now I think of something VERY different if I hear someone say "you go be the shagger" :P

so it's true... oh my...

and I won't write this down here, but please tell me there's an alternative expression for this:

http://www.justbaseball.us/Qstore/uploads/ball_shaggers.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:19 AM Quote
mate - friend

In the US you would never call your friend your mate. Means something totally different. With the exception of roommate. Your roommate is not (necessary ;)) someone you mate with. But you don't share a room with them, either. So that word is totally misleading on both ends.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 1:10 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
mate - friend

In the US you would never call your friend your mate. Means something totally different. With the exception of roommate. Your roommate is not (necessary ;)) someone you mate with. But you don't share a room with them, either. So that word is totally misleading on both ends.

you could share a room with them. Like a university dorm room.
But generally, you are correct. Housemate sometimes used. Apartment mate sounds funny. Brits get their flatmate. That sounds better.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 1:23 PM Quote
maths - math

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 3:44 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
maths - math

Maths = Mathematics (The Science of Mathematics)
Math = Mathematical (A Mathematical Problem)

I have heard that American degrees are based on learning and repeating verbatim, whereas European degrees are based on learning and then using the information.

Now I must stress that this is only what I have hard a could be construed as a huge generalization.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 6:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I have heard that American degrees are based on learning and repeating verbatim, whereas European degrees are based on learning and then using the information.

Now I must stress that this is only what I have hard a could be construed as a huge generalization.

Dubz

This would be very interesting to ponder. I've been reading books upon books about education lately (me, reading non-fiction!) and how most of what we learn in school is quickly forgotten after the test because we really have no reason to know it in the first place. So much of what is taught is presented to us in tidy "subjects" that are way out of context of real life. I apply this as much to elementary and high school as to university.

My daughter is in 3rd grade (age 8) and will occasionally ask me something about her homework. Most of the time I know, but occasionally I just don't remember. She'll say, "This is 3rd grade work and you don't know!!!" and I have to say it is because after I passed the test in 3rd grade, I have never had cause to use that information in the past 30 years.

Basically, people remember new information because they have a reason to want to know it or a reason they need to know it. Example: a kid may not care about learning percentages, until he finds out that something he wants to buy is 30% off at the store. Does he have enough money? This may be the day that percentages finally make sense to him. The A-HA! moment. Or converting a recipe, fractions might finally make sense.

You don't learn everything about a new job in school or from a book. But after you've worked there for 2 weeks, you know it. You've applied it. You'll remember because it's useful to you.

As for university, I managed to get a degree without a single mention of a career it could lead to. The job I ended up getting required only a high school diploma and passing a basic skills test that was ridiculously easy. When I was placed in my position, I discovered I needed to know all about the ear. Fine. Couple weeks on the job and I knew all about the ear. (At least as far as fluid, infections, wax, and hearing loss.)

Beyond basic math and communication skills (writing and grammar) there's not much I learned in school that has anything to do with life in the real world. The rest is all game show trivia.

On the other hand, there is a lot I've learned outside of school that I use often, enriches my life, and/or is of benefit to me.

These hippie education books I'm reading really are changing my attitude. Having a degree does not necessarily make someone bright and not having a degree doesn't mean a person is not smart. Real, true wisdom comes from living life in the world--doing as much as you can, going wherever you can, meeting the most interesting people you can, and doing what interests you. That's what makes a "well rounded individual." You can graduate university and not know how to balance a checkbook or make yourself dinner.

So, I don't know much about European education, but as for my education, I'd have to say it was presented, discussed briefly, tested, and forgotten.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 6:55 PM Quote
Put it in a song and you will remember it forever...

"the provinces of Canada are fun to remember, fun to remember, so sing them with me..." oh grade 3!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 6:58 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

"the provinces of Canada are fun to remember, fun to remember, so sing them with me..." oh grade 3!

I had to sing a song called Fifty Nifty United States. I had to sing all 50 states in alphabetical order. I can still do it.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 30 Apr, 2010 7:04 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I had to sing a song called Fifty Nifty United States. I had to sing all 50 states in alphabetical order. I can still do it.

werent you looking for a mother/daughter sing along song!

your encore can be the Provinces of Canada. it is in geographical order. East to West.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 01 May, 2010 2:13 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[quote="weirdmom"]

Dubz

I think education systems are different everywhere. I don't know if knowing more stuff and having a more comprehensive education is more useful than having a pragmatic education.
I haven't studied either in the US nor Europe, but I shared a class with some exchange students from Yale and I've helped my friend who's doing a MA at King's College in London, so this is what I know.
The girls from Yale were amazed by the amount of books we had to read, how many papers we had to write and the fact that in order to pass that class they had to do a research and apply what they had learned to a specific case. To me it was a normal class. So I guess they were used to a more pragmatic approach.
As for my friend's essays at King's College, they're no different from the ones we write here in every class to get a Bachelor's degree. She also has to do an internship to get the Masters degree, which would be like the 200 research hours we have to do in the University of Buenos Aires to become sociologists... So I guess our system is more like the European one? The difference is, with pretty much the same training counting her BA + MA, at King's she'll get a MA, and at the UBA she'd get a BA.
Anyway, this all makes me realise how stupid we are in Argentina for studying something for six years in order to get a lower degree... I'm very satisfied with my education, I think it's very useful, and I'm very proud of the quality of public education in my country. However I do believe six years is way too much for a BA...
(Sorry this became a rant about my years in university xD).

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:03 AM