Travis

The Oscars -- do we care?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 06 Mar, 2010 7:18 AM Quote
So, do we care that the Oscars are this Sunday? Well, I know I care about the red carpet dresses, but what about the movies?

Here are all 10 best picture nominees: Avatar, The Blind Side, The Hurt Locker, District 9, An Education, Precious, Inglorious Basterds, A Serious Man, Up, and Up in the Air.

I'm not impressed with any of the movies up for best picture that I saw this year. I know Kayte already touched on this in a different thread, but movies seriously suck lately! What’s going on, Hollywood?

Granted, I haven't seen "Avatar", but how can an animated movie about 10-foot-tall blue aliens really be that great? Sure, sure, it used groundbreaking technology and whatnot, but is the story really Oscar-worthy?

I saw "The Hurt Locker" and I honestly don't understand why this is up for any kind of award. It was boring as hell. No character development. No real plot. Just dudes shooting guns into the desert and dismantling bombs day after day. Big whoop. Where is the STORY?

"A Serious Man" was just weird. Honestly, I don't even remember it that well, so how can a forgettable movie even be up for an Oscar?

I liked "Up In The Air"...sure, it was a GOOD movie. I left the theater and said "Yeah, that was OK...I liked it." But by no means was it Oscar-worthy! It was an OK movie! And George Clooney is pretty to look at! That's all!

I guess the other movies I'd want to see are "Precious" and "The Blind Side", but based on how it's gone so far, I don't have that much faith I'll be all that impressed. I hope I'm wrong. I really, really want to see a good movie.

Re: The Oscars -- do we care?
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 06 Mar, 2010 8:09 AM Quote
The only best picture movies I saw were Avatar and The Blind Side.

Avatar was good. It was better than I thought it would be. I'm not sure its strong enough to win best picture but it should win awards for special effects and stuff.

I really liked The Blind Side. I was crying like a baby in the theater.

Overall, I agree with Nikki. There were some good movies but nothing that really stood out to me.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 06 Mar, 2010 1:29 PM Quote
The only one Ive seen is Up, although I do want to see An Education, but it isnt out on DVD until the end of the month.

I do care about the Oscars, but I think more in a pop culture sense than anything else. I like seeing big hollywood put on their pretties and celebrate their industry, but it is harder in a year when ive seen very few of the movies.

And Im always cheering for people even if I havent seen the movie. I was Jason Reitman to win for Up in the Air because he is Canadian. I want Sandra Bullock because she is awesome.

And I've seen, and really like Up, but I doubt it has the clout to win best picture over all those films, but it should win best animated movie, which is awesome, because it is adorably fantastic and made me cry like a 3 year old.
All I know is that I have to work tomorrow from about 12:30 on and said "I hope Im home in time for the Oscars." that means I care.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 06 Mar, 2010 2:24 PM Quote
Actually only seen Up In The Air and Avatar out of the nominees. Want to see Up very much, 'cos I love pixar films.

I don't really think Up In The Air is all that great to be honest, wouldn't say Oscar-worthy no. I guess the acting is good, but the story etc isn't hugely inspiring.

Avatar though, well I'm actually in the camp that thinks it's amazing, so yeah it should win stuff. :P

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 07 Mar, 2010 10:41 PM Quote
The only two things I care about this year are:
1. Christoph Waltz getting an oscar. Even if you didn't like the Basterds you have to admit he was excellent.
2. Avatar NOT getting any oscars. Seriously, Hollywood? Will you really get fooled again by Cameron's overhyped movie that is considered good only because 3 zilion dollars were spent on it?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 4:20 AM Quote
Argentina won best foreign oscar . i'm hoping the hurt locker or district 9 win but thats about it

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 5:01 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Avatar though, well I'm actually in the camp that thinks it's amazing, so yeah it should win stuff. :P

that is called the nerd camp :)

This years Oscars have been pretty lame so far. But Im glad that Up won for best animated feature, not that anything else was in the running. And I hereby predict Toy Story 3 to win it next year.
And Im glad Sandra Bullock won. I didnt see the Blind Side, and im sure other performances were better, but I just adore her! I did very much like Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia, however, and I really want to see An Education!
Pretty cool that a women won for best director. And extra cool that it was against her ex-husband :)

3 cheers for Avatar not winning best picture!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 5:19 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:

that is called the nerd camp :)

This years Oscars have been pretty lame so far. But Im glad that Up won for best animated feature, not that anything else was in the running. And I hereby predict Toy Story 3 to win it next year.
And Im glad Sandra Bullock won. I didnt see the Blind Side, and im sure other performances were better, but I just adore her! I did very much like Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia, however, and I really want to see An Education!
Pretty cool that a women won for best director. And extra cool that it was against her ex-husband :)

3 cheers for Avatar not winning best picture!

Also glad a woman won Best Picture, but it's kind of bitter sweet since she won for a shit movie.

And I also love Sandra Bullock. I should rent "The Blind Side".

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:26 AM Quote
hah!
I wanted Oscars for
1: Christoph Waltz (even though he's Austrian *ahem*) - check.
2: the original score of "Up!" - check. (the 3 minute wordless flashback at the beginning of the film made me cry sooo much, and it was mainly because the music underlined the storyline perfectly...)
3: Sandra Bullock (because she's awesome) - check. (she can place that horrible Golden Raspberry thing right next to her Golden Globe AND her Oscar now *rofl*)
4: "The White Ribbon" (foreign feature film, from Germany) - *sniff*, that one didn't work out. But it was kind of a miracle that it was nominated (as it's 100% "not-Hollywood", from the story to the acting to the cinematography and design...)

I watched parts of the ceremony (yaaaaawn!) and I really really REALLY don't get why "The Hurt Locker" was even nominated in so many categories... (it's "Saving Private Ryan" all over again...)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:45 AM Quote
whoelse can say they won a razzie and oscar in the same year?
Her speach made me tear up, and then they cut to her husband with tears in his eyes and I teared up more.

Ive turned into a girl sometime in the last few months and it's really effing annoying! stop crying!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 12:04 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
The only two things I care about this year are:
1. Christoph Waltz getting an oscar. Even if you didn't like the Basterds you have to admit he was excellent.
2. Avatar NOT getting any oscars. Seriously, Hollywood? Will you really get fooled again by Cameron's overhyped movie that is considered good only because 3 zilion dollars were spent on it?

1. YAY!
2. HA! In your face, Cameron!

edit: red carpet dresses were pretty lame. If I consider Kirsten Stewart's to be the best one something is wrong here!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 1:15 PM Quote
Saving Private Ryan was a comic book story but with intense realisitic combat footage , the hurt locker is more a diary of a tour in Iraq of a adrenaline junky military lifer who can't change , established pretty early , and the transformation of a guilt riden troop . Best movie I've seen were it shows how people in the military interact with each other . In Saving Private Ryan , the Sgt was like I said before a comic book character . The sniper incident in the hurt locker could of been all screaming and over the top but she had them try and show the stress of the situation and have them work it out . It deserved the oscars it won . The oscars are voted by those in the industry . They probaly looked at it as how hard it was to film . I normally don't care who wins but when a movie I like wins i'm all for it .

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 3:27 PM Quote
I never ever pay attention to the Oscars. I don't give a damn about the dresses, the ceremony... nothing, to be honest.
Plus, I just don't agree with most of the choices they make. Some seriously awful films have won over the years.

I haven't seen any of the nominated films this year, though I want to see a few of them, but most of them sound like the typical thing Hollywood gives awards to, so they don't interest me one bit. The Sandra Bullock film is about to come out here, I've seen the trailer and it looks dreadful: typical Hollywood production and Oscar winner candidate, à la Tom Hanks films ;oP.

I never even watch the ceremony at all, I don't know when it happens, it just isn't a part of my life at all.

However, I knew El Secreto De Sus Ojos was nominated for Foreign Language Film. I watched literally 10 minutes of the ceremony and luckily I got to see the moment it won! (I didn't care about the rest, tbh, lol).
I'm really proud, because it's an excellent film, one of my all time favourites. And as much as I think quality is not what defines an Oscar winner most of the times, it's a great opportunity for the film to be seen by broader audiences. It's a really good thing for Argentina's film industry.
AGUANTE EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS!!!!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 3:36 PM Quote
LOL, Juli, you're so funny. How can you not like Tom Hanks?!?!?!

He's the most likable actor out there! He can do any kind of role. And well. Now that I think about it, he's in some of my favorite movies in nearly every film genre. Comedy: "The Money Pit", Drama: "Forrest Gump", Romantic Comedy: "You've Got Mail"...he's just awesome. <3

Edit: League of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story...

All great movies and great performances.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 08 Mar, 2010 4:35 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
LOL, Juli, you're so funny. How can you not like Tom Hanks?!?!?!

He's the most likable actor out there! He can do any kind of role. And well. Now that I think about it, he's in some of my favorite movies in nearly every film genre. Comedy: "The Money Pit", Drama: "Forrest Gump", Romantic Comedy: "You've Got Mail"...he's just awesome. <3

Edit: League of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story...

All great movies and great performances.

LOL! I don't know! I haven't seen The Money Pit, but I didn't like Forrest Gump and You've Got Mail at all. :oP
And I think if there's one thing Tom Hanks lacks is versatility. Every character he does is exactly like the rest. I haven't seen all the films he's been in, but in general, he plays "the good American". I'm not saying he's the worst actor out there, far from it. But I don't know, I just don't like him. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Lol.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:08 PM