Travis

"foot without a sock"
joemono
joemono Posted Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:04 PM Quote
I was listening to that song Tempted by Squeeze and the lyric "foot without a sock" is in there. Is this maybe where Fran got it for AIWTDIR or is it a common phrase? (I haven't heard it anywhere except these two songs, but maybe it's a cultural thing.)

Re:
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:46 PM Quote
If I remember correctly Fran likes Squeeze and they have covered them so there is a possibility...

Re:
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:09 PM Quote
Ask him next week on Friday Question Time.

Re:
hsamfriend
hsamfriend Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 5:57 AM Quote
Fran was/is a massive squeeze fan. I know he was inspired by a show at barrowlands in the early glass onion days. As for fool without a sock I always thought it was just a throw away lyric but as the years go by it is more of an artistic signature by Fran. Does define the song more than any other line. Fran's genius shows through. Just a coincidence with squeeze im sure.

Re:
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 1:37 PM Quote
As a songwriter I think you pick up more than you know from songs and artists that you like. I write a lot myself and I have noticed that sometimes when I listen to a song I go all "Oh this line actually sounds like one of my songs!!", but when I wrote it I had no idea that I was inspired by it. I think you store stuff that you think sounds good somewhere unconsciously and that's why it's called "inspired by" instead of plagiarism ;) It's a bit funny when you think that you've created something genuine and really good and find out that it's already been written..

Re: Re:
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 6:42 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
As a songwriter I think you pick up more than you know from songs and artists that you like. I write a lot myself and I have noticed that sometimes when I listen to a song I go all "Oh this line actually sounds like one of my songs!!", but when I wrote it I had no idea that I was inspired by it. I think you store stuff that you think sounds good somewhere unconsciously and that's why it's called "inspired by" instead of plagiarism ;) It's a bit funny when you think that you've created something genuine and really good and find out that it's already been written..

When I write a melody or riff I always wonder if I've nicked it from somewhere. I'll probably listen to The Man Who one day and realise half of my songs have blatantly ripped it off. But hopefully my latest ones, 'Driftplank', 'Slideshoe' and 'Texting to Reach You' are completely original. :)

Re: Re:
minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 7:03 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
But hopefully my latest ones, 'Driftplank', 'Slideshoe' and 'Texting to Reach You' are completely original. :)

I'm more looking forward to Green Twinkle Light and 19.5

Re:
Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 10:30 PM Quote
LOL @ Luke!

I love "texting to reach you"!!!! :)

Your funny.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:22 PM