Travis

Let it snow... or not!
Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 9:30 AM Quote
Right, so we got snow yesterday and since some time during the night, we've had a snow storm. As per usual, the entire country comes to a standstill when we get snow because we're not used to getting snow in these amounts.

Right now it's not a problem for me; I just work from my warm home. However, the gospel choir that I'm in has it's Christmas concert tonight and I fear it will be cancelled. Bla!

Does anyone else have snow problems?

Btw, it's quite ironic that we get such a snow storm while there's a climate conference in Copenhagen to stop the global warming...

Re: Let it snow... or not!
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 10:22 AM Quote
There's a chance of Snow here in Dublin today.

I hate the fucking stuff, it's cold, wet and fucking slippery. All these people going around thinking the place looks wonderful because it's snowing, meanwhile OAPs are falling everywhere breaking ankles, hips, etc. Not too mention some of them freezing to death or their system just giving up because of the weather, Yeah snow is wonderful !!

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:14 AM Quote
We've had around - 10 °C all week + snow. At least it's light and fluffy. Last night's snow caused some traffic problems and crashes this morning, as this kind of snow becomes very slippery when crushed. You'd think it shouldn't come as a surprise, that it's slippery, but this happens every year with the first few snow falls.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:52 AM Quote
Snow in Paris today.

I don't like it.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:10 PM Quote
I always thought that a white Christmas was a bit over-romanticised. If this had been Christmas Eve, people would have had their Christmas plans ruined. I hope that most of it melts before then.

Milli, it's the same here. People are incredibly surprised that we get snow. Mind, we don't get snow every winter and this means that a lot of people don't change their summer tyres to winter tyres. I think that in itself causes a lot of the traffic jams.

Btw, the concert tonight has been cancelled. *sigh*

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:25 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
I always thought that a white Christmas was a bit over-romanticised. If this had been Christmas Eve, people would have had their Christmas plans ruined. I hope that most of it melts before then.

Milli, it's the same here. People are incredibly surprised that we get snow. Mind, we don't get snow every winter and this means that a lot of people don't change their summer tyres to winter tyres. I think that in itself causes a lot of the traffic jams.

Btw, the concert tonight has been cancelled. *sigh*

How cold is it ? We have - 3°.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:26 PM Quote
No snow here and I don't think we will be getting it. People are complaining about how cold it is, personally I don't think it's that cold at all it's only 5degrees out.

It's the same thing every Christmas time, people put so much hype into "is there going to be a white christmas"? I don't mind the snow but then again, I don't drive in it and I do like it (apart from the slippery bits but then that has me giggling down the street like a moron to myself).

Also, I get all doe-eyed when it snows because it is so pretty. If I lived somewhere that got snow all the time and it was heavy and caused major issues then yes I would probably get a little disgruntled.

Awwww Hanne, that's not good about the cancelled show! :-( Will they plan it for another date?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:38 PM Quote
The temperature right now is about -4 degrees Celsius. However, we have a quite strong wind so it feels much colder than that.

I don't know if they'll plan another date. It won't be before Christmas though. Next planned date is 24 January where we will be performing with a jazz/gospel singer, Lillian Boutté. Just found a video from the 80s.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 1:27 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
The temperature right now is about -4 degrees Celsius. However, we have a quite strong wind so it feels much colder than that.

Oh dear, this must be terrible.
Stay home !

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 1:38 PM Quote
it's -14C today. But better than last week when it was -20. We've had a snow or 2, but went from too warm to snow to too cold to snow rather quickly.
I want snow for Christmas :(

mili
mili Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 1:38 PM Quote
Sorry about the concert, Hanne!

Here in Finland Winter tires are compulsory, so that's really not an excuse. Nothing gets cancelled, and even planes depart usually on time, only trains are affected when it's really cold

It's really coming down now! We'll be in line for a sleepless night with all the snow plows making a racket in the streets. My son's school has a christmas party tonight, I'm glad it's not far to walk.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 2:50 PM Quote
Oohh, I'm so sorry about your concert, Hanne! :o(
I didn't know you were in a gospel choir. Do you think maybe we could hear some of your music sometime? Pleaaaaaase?? :o)

Peewee wrote:
If I lived somewhere that got snow all the time and it was heavy and caused major issues then yes I would probably get a little disgruntled.

It doesn't snow in Buenos Aires. Winters aren't that cold and it only snowed once in 2007, and this happened after over 80 years. It wasn't so much snow, but it was enough to be beautiful and not cause any trouble. So I love snow!!! But I agree with Wends, I'd probably think differently if I lived somewhere else.

For me it would be very strange to have a white Christmas, or even a cold Christmas.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 4:03 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:

Yup, I can confirm that ;). But come on, Denmark looks so cute and adorable when it's all snowy and cold! Although, the fact that I actually experienced a traffic jam today for the very first time here kind of got on my nerves.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 5:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
it's -14C today. But better than last week when it was -20. We've had a snow or 2, but went from too warm to snow to too cold to snow rather quickly.

MINUS 20???? CELSIUS?? OMG.
It's -6°C here and it's FREEZING. sometimes I think my nose is going to fall off... BUT there's SNOW as well, and I loooove snowy Munich :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 Dec, 2009 5:56 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
minnmess wrote:

MINUS 20???? CELSIUS?? OMG.
It's -6°C here and it's FREEZING. sometimes I think my nose is going to fall off... BUT there's SNOW as well, and I loooove snowy Munich :)

-20 is nothing. -40 is cold. My first year of university it was -40 for 2 weeks straight in December in Ottawa. After that it would just be a few days after that, and very rarely here, but once in a while. you cough when you try to breathe, the inside of your nose freezes and you cant feel anything. brrrrrrrs

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:31 PM