Travis

Re: Unsecret Santa Christmas Exchange - REMINDER
minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 05 Dec, 2009 11:31 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
minnmess wrote:

woot!!! Sorry about the tear. Wait, should I be apologizing? Im canadian, I must.

No worries, I'm not American so I don't blame the Canadians... I only blame the postal services :)

Not this one though, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkfI7wCrI

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sun 06 Dec, 2009 8:16 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Not this one though, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkfI7wCrI

Hehe no, I don't think that the Danish postal service makes music like that :)

By the way, ever seen a goth person dressed in red? Our mail men and women always wear red coats. The girl who handed the package to me looked very goth but with the red uniform coat AND a red hat. Very unusual :)

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sun 06 Dec, 2009 9:10 AM Quote
Boardieland!

today is a special day - it's Saint Nicholas' Day!
Those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, please consult the first paragraphs of this page. Without Bishop Nicholas, the world wouldn't have Santa Claus!

I will put my boot outside today and see if Nikolaus (that's his German name) got something for me *weee* :D
Luckily, I haven't seen a "Krampus" (yet) this year, although a friend told me they're "strolling" through the Christmas Markets in Munich again. Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Tue 08 Dec, 2009 5:46 AM Quote
Today I was finally able to send Nikki's parcel and I really hope she gets it on time *fingers crossed*!
Well, I just wanted to let everyone know about it -including Nikki, even though I'm PMing her as well - but especially to our dear elf since she likes to keep everything under control... which is a good thing, eh! I love (most) things under control ;o).

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 08 Dec, 2009 1:21 PM Quote
bogusblue wrote:
especially to our dear elf since she likes to keep everything under control... which is a good thing, eh! I love (most) things under control ;o).

errr, sorry if I've been a bit of a bossy elf lately ;P I just wanted to make sure everything was alright (especially after all that "I can't get hold of my exchange partner" mess *sigh*)
I'm not a control freak *ahem*, really, I'm not! ;D

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 1:22 AM Quote
I sent off Elodie's package today. It should arrive there in about 6 to 10 days.

Since my candy exchange partner, Lucia, never received her package of candy this past summer, I'm sending her a package for Christmas. She has been super, super sweet and sent me a Christmas present also. Thanks again Lucia!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 1:57 PM Quote
I have a question (I think American boardies might be best qualified to answer this)

Do you REALLY call OUR Christkindl (Bavarian & Austrian present-bringer on Christmas Eve) "KRIS KRINGLE"???????????

As in "Kris Kringle" markets and "Kris Kringle" presents???

Kris Kringle... seriously... *shaking her head*

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 3:21 PM Quote
I have never heard one of those markets referred to as a Kris Kringle market!! Lol! It's either a Christmas market/festival or Christkind is pronounced correctly.

To me Kris Kringle is Santa's code/regular person name in the vein of Bruce Wayne/Batman Clark Kent/Superman

who on earth told you this??

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:11 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I have never heard one of those markets referred to as a Kris Kringle market!! Lol! It's either a Christmas market/festival or Christkind is pronounced correctly.

To me Kris Kringle is Santa's code/regular person name in the vein of Bruce Wayne/Batman Clark Kent/Superman

who on earth told you this??

I've heard it from SEVERAL people!!! All of them are English native speakers. I also checked google amd Wiki.

And "Kris Kringle" as Santa's regular person name makes sense!! "Kris Kringle" and "Christkind" sound similar (at least to my German ears *lol*) and Santa is the equivalent to our Christkind... so someone just TOOK our name for baby Jesus and turned into a first and last name of an old man with a white beard! ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Santa

http://www.santaswarehouse.com.au/history_of_christmas/who_is_kris_kringle.shtml

oh and look at THIS! http://www.kriskringle.ca/indexmain.html Maybe it's a Canadian thing *lol*

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:41 PM Quote
I'm at work, but my sister texted me to tell me that Moray's present arrived today! I'm very excited!!! :o)
I can't wait to get home and see what it looks like on the outside. Lol.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:45 PM Quote
Yes I think it sounds similar but the part that I'm totally baffled about is "Kris Kringle Markets." Never ever heard that one.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:00 PM Quote
Ya sure, blame the Canadian.
Despite that website, Ive never heard of them either

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 5:47 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I'm at work, but my sister texted me to tell me that Moray's present arrived today! I'm very excited!!! :o)
I can't wait to get home and see what it looks like on the outside. Lol.

ah brilliant!! I was so nervous but I'm glad it arrived ok and intact. :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 9:32 PM Quote
Santa Claus's "real" normal person name is Kris Kringle, yes, that's what we believe.

I often hear boardies on the other side of the world talking about the Christmas markets. What are these Christmas market things? What do they sell? We have craft fairs and stuff and at this time of year they do take on a holiday flair (they sell mostly homemade crafty things), but we don't have anything called a Christmas market.

mili
mili Posted Wed 09 Dec, 2009 9:53 PM Quote
Our Christmas markets sell food (jams, cakes, pickled herring etc, also to eat there and then), hand made things, woolly socks, jewellery, decorations, candles… Also hot drinks, something called glögi (kind of mulled wine, but because of local legislation, it's alcohol free, in restaurants and homes it's not).
In Germany they have most things mentioned above + alcoholic Glühwein, related to glögi. Also in Germany there are markets dedicated to nativity scenes, all kinds of little items to build your own with.
Markets often have music, sometimes even live.

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:18 PM