Travis

Todays NME
Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 5:51 PM Quote
Just read todays NME review of the decade issue only reason i bought it, totally slags travis off yet again (once in the editors intro and in a feature about what bands might reform) what is this mags problem with the band?

Re: Todays NME
SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 9:02 PM Quote
Craigyboy wrote:
Just read todays NME review of the decade issue only reason i bought it, totally slags travis off yet again (once in the editors intro and in a feature about what bands might reform) what is this mags problem with the band?

they're self-indulgent twats who think they're awesome?

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:11 PM Quote
thats the impression i got

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:49 PM Quote
Christ! I just read their "review" of TBWNN and more.

That's not even a review anymore. I think they'd expected death metal and were disappointed when they got assigned to critic about this instead.

It hasn't even anything to do with music anymore!

davidbova
davidbova Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:39 PM Quote
i think fran commented about this before.. and he didnt give a shit. perfect response, but i still loathe them. its like someone slagging off your mate, cause its the music you grew up with and love. you want to defend them.

but i forget that rag exists now really and i used to buy it every week! I don't know anyone that does buy it anymore.

I think people used to buy NME to hear news about up coming releases, and all the cool new breakthrough acts were featured, and of course, the wit can be amusing. However, what with myspace, music websites, blogs etc, i dont think people really bother. I'd be interested to see what there reader figures are now compared to a decade ago.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:18 AM Quote
Edit: Hahaha that was a Freudian slip :p

Well of course I want to defend the band I think it's the best in the world - at least for me.

But I was hugeyl disappointed by the unprofessionality the article/review was written. It hadn't anything to do with music, the record or Travis whatsoever.

They just went on about bad lyrics (rhyming "fethers with whethers" - and I'm sure that's not an English Philology Prof. who wrote that) whilst "Today is gonna be the day" is hold to be a terrific line.
If you write a proper review you normally write about the pros and cons; but instead this article uses insults to push people away from their records. Which is weird!

If they mentioned "boring" lyrics in one peace then it'd be fair to mention the double - intertextuality of SJ. But nay.

I can live with people who don't like Travis. I can live with bad reviews. Hell I can live with this - but it still pisses me off.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 19 Nov, 2009 3:33 PM Quote
That review is just someone's personal opinion disguised with an "aura of impartiality" conferred by the mere fact of being published in a magazine with enough money and tradition to be able to issue tons of copies that are read by a large amount of people. Music is about feelings, so I don't care if the man got a degree on I-don't-know-what, he's still writing his own views on an album, band, song. Therefore, no matter what the critic/magazine says or wants to make believe or even believes him/itself, it's not a piece of objective, absolute truth. It's not even the most solid review that can be written. It's just some guy's personal opinion written with some florid words. And sometimes there's even money involved in a good/bad review.
So I don't give a crap about whatever they have to say about anything :o).

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:02 AM Quote
Without sounding totally crude, I wouldn't wipe my arse with the NME. Their reviews don't mean anything to me. And if anyone reads those reviews and has their opinions swayed by them isn't a proper music fan. The types of people who write those articles are too afraid to give themselves up to the music. To be totally open to anything and everything. Its easier to jump on the band wagon of the next big thing and run with it. I alway like to think if you put them in an isolation chamber, turned on the radio and asked them if they liked a song they jut wouldn't know. Because they need a frame of reference. A reason to like a song. Thats why I love being a Travis fan. We don't need to swagger and posture if we don't want to. We all switched on the radio at somepoint and decided that a Travis song connected with us in some way and that was good enough for us. Irrespective of what anyone else had decided was cool / hip / in fashion at the time. And at the end of the day, thats the really cool thing - when music grabs you and moves you and you don't need to explain why.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:58 AM Quote
Not worth the paper it's written on. Be confident in your own taste, and don't take offence at reviews. A bad review is often better than no review. What if Travis were completely ignored? I think that's worse.

Also, if you have a problem with a review you read, write your own, and submit it! It might bet published, but even if doesn't, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing somebody read it. Amazon for example will happily publish peoples' reviews. Get it off your chest that way, and counteract the cynics.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:46 AM Quote
davidbova wrote:
I think people used to buy NME to hear news about up coming releases, and all the cool new breakthrough acts were featured, and of course, the wit can be amusing. However, what with myspace, music websites, blogs etc, i dont think people really bother. I'd be interested to see what there reader figures are now compared to a decade ago.

"Circulation of the magazine has fallen continuously since 2003. In the first half of 2009, the magazine's circulation was 40,948, 44% down on a 2003 figure of 72,442."
~Wikipedia

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 21 Nov, 2009 2:31 AM Quote
Great news, thanks James. :)

They don't "review", simple as that. They slam the bands they want, and they big up the bands they want. If Thom Yorke released an album where he farted and vomited all the way through it they'd call it original and genius.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:09 AM Quote
And that's from a Radiohead fan! To be fair though, it would be original... just not genius. At all.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 5:52 PM Quote
Haven't read the review but apparently they think Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' is the best track of the decade. Oh how I laughed.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
Thois is the list of the songs:

1. Beyonce Knowles – “Crazy In Love”
2. MGMT – “Time To Pretend”
3. The Strokes – “Hard To Explain”
4. MIA – “Paper Planes”
5. OutKast – “Hey Ya!”
6. The Rapture – “House Of Jealous Lovers”
7. Klaxons – “Golden Skans”
8. Blur – “Out Of Time”
9. Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies)”
10. Arctic Monkeys – “A Certain Romance”
11. The Libertines – “Can’t Stand Me Now”
12. The Streets – “Dry Your Eyes”
13. The Walkmen – “The Rat”
14. The White Stripes – “Seven Nation Army”
15. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Bang”
16. Rihanna – “Umbrella”
17. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Maps”
18. OutKast – “Ms Jackson”
19. Radiohead – “Reckoner”
20. Hot Chip – “Over And Over”

Some crappy songs... That's another reason of "Why NME should not be taken seriously" (did i write that well?)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 9:19 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Thois is the list of the songs:

1. Beyonce Knowles – “Crazy In Love”
2. MGMT – “Time To Pretend”
3. The Strokes – “Hard To Explain”
4. MIA – “Paper Planes”
5. OutKast – “Hey Ya!”
6. The Rapture – “House Of Jealous Lovers”
7. Klaxons – “Golden Skans”
8. Blur – “Out Of Time”
9. Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies)”
10. Arctic Monkeys – “A Certain Romance”
11. The Libertines – “Can’t Stand Me Now”
12. The Streets – “Dry Your Eyes”
13. The Walkmen – “The Rat”
14. The White Stripes – “Seven Nation Army”
15. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Bang”
16. Rihanna – “Umbrella”
17. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Maps”
18. OutKast – “Ms Jackson”
19. Radiohead – “Reckoner”
20. Hot Chip – “Over And Over”

Some crappy songs... That's another reason of "Why NME should not be taken seriously" (did i write that well?)

All I have to say about that is "LOL".

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:25 PM