Travis

Fran "review" (3rd NY show)
Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:58 AM Quote
just found this on the tour archive

At 6pm I became very nervous about the gig tonight. Our friends had come round and were coming to the show. Nora and Clay (wife and son) were also thinking of coming, as was Andy's son Dylan and his wife Jo. Now Clay has never seen me play before and I kind of felt that the environment was maybe a bit too adult and even though it is an acoustic show, the sound might be too loud, even with his ear protectors. And seeing me do this totalIy weird thing might scare him, might blew a fuse in his beautiful new brain. He just knew me as Papa afterall.
Anyways my friend Josh picked me up at our place and we drove up a little earlier than usual.
Sat around before the show until Andy arrived. Jo and Dylan had fallen asleep at their hotel so I called Nora to tell her but she said she was going to walk our friends to the venue and then make a decision on it...see how he was feeling.
In the meantime, Andy and I rehearsed New Amsterdam in a big room on a grand piano. Then our managers came in and asked if someone could come back and say hello. "Who?" I said, having asked for folks to come after the show for a visit instead of before. "He's about this height..." gesturing to about 2 and a half feet off the ground. "Clayyyy..."
So he came in and we played and chatted and then it was time for the show. I just assumed he was going home. Nora had gone to say goodbye to our friends and then Clay with our manager, wandered off as I waited to go on stage.
The first 4 songs of the set were great and ran smoothly. My between song talking was the steadiest it had been on the Joes run. Then in the silence between bending down to pick up my towel, I heard this familiar voice break through the silence. " Brown Teddy do it..."
Arrhgghh!! It was himmm... He was there...
"Is that you darling?" I said. "Yes?" he called back. "Are you ok?" I queried "Yes?" " "Are you having a nice time" "Yes" matteroffactly.
The audience was now laughing and turing round to see where this wee voice was coming from. Thankfully he was unfazed.
So the gig continued and every few songs he piped up with a " Hello Papa..." after one interlude he treated the audience to his rendition of Billy Jean. It was very very cool.
Then after we played Last Train he shouted over the end of the applause "Papa?" "Yes?" "Stop singing now." The room erupted. "Did you not like that one?" I asked "No. Clay want to go home now... Clay want to go home with you and mama" More laughter from everyone...
Now I was looking at the set and thinking "Shit, there's 5 songs left..." 'Ok" I said. "If you wait one more song there is a song you'll really like..." "Ok" he said.
So we played New Amsterdam and then I introduced My Eyes with my usual please don't take pictures of the next slides announcement and then showed the slides which he liked. Especially the last one. I explained that after a long romance with Grandmaster Flash he was now enjoying Michael Jackson and at the end of My Eyes I recited the first verse of The Message and everyone sang the chorus loudly... He loved this. I could see him in the shadows, bopping. Then we played two more songs and that was that. No requests at the end tonight. I had to meet my upstager backstage. We had the biggest hug after and I asked him if he had enjoyed it and he said yes. I had the best show ever too. I think maybe the best Travis show I ever attended.
This morning he didn't mention the show at all apart from just before he woke he said in his sleep "Not that song Papa..."

---------
aaawwwww! that's SUCH a cute story!!!
thanks for sharing, fran! :)

Re: Fran
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 1:41 PM Quote

Awwwww!!! What a beautiful experience!!!! No wonder it's Fran's favourite show ever! :o)

Sarah- wrote:

This morning he didn't mention the show at all apart from just before he woke he said in his sleep "Not that song Papa..."

LOL! Adorable! :o)

Like Sarah said, thanks for sharing this with us, Fran :o).

closergms1968
closergms1968 Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 1:43 PM Quote
Thanks for the review from Travis number one fan..Fran.
Such a sweet evening, which was full of emotions for you and your family.
Dont know how you managed to carry on.
I guess you will never ever forget the evening and will be a warm memory to share with the family,years from now.
I think i would have cried a few tears, had i been at the gig.
His first and your best TRAVIS gig. Magic.

tracymac1969
tracymac1969 Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 2:57 PM Quote
Adorable! What an amazing Father/Son experience ;)
Thanks for sharing Fran, it must have been one of the proudest moments of your life.
I'm glad that you got to spend some precious time with Clay and Nora, afterall, they have shared you with us for so long.
Enjoy your well earned rest, not long now.....
Until the next time, take care.....
Tracy

melissam3173
melissam3173 Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 3:44 PM Quote
Thats the sweetest thing I have ever heard, very heartwarming. Fran I am glad you had such a magical experience with your family and it was such a nice way to end the tour. Cannot wait to see you all again, I hope you guys enjoy your time off. Best of luck to the lot of you and wishing you the best holiday season! Safe travels.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 4:01 PM Quote
Awww that's is so sweet! Definitely a beautiful experience! I'm glad Clay seemed unfazed with the audience. I would've loved to have heard the Billy Jean rendition. Thanks for sharing with us Fran!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 5:57 PM Quote
my insides are dying of cuteness overload.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 6:29 PM Quote
Aaah how nerve-wracking playing for your biggest fan! A wonderful story, Fran and great memories for you to treasure and share with him when he's older.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 8:52 PM Quote
Oh that is the best thing I've read in ages , Thanks Fran for sharing that , Clay sounds lots of fun and so brave ! Yes, you were upstaged ( and that takes some doing!!) He's got it all taped bless his little tootsies - He knows ya know!

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 9:32 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
my insides are dying of cuteness overload.

hehe well said, that's how i was feeling.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:15 PM Quote
No requests at the end is like the equivalent of Daddy coming home from work early. So sweet. Nothing can prepare you for how much you will love your kids.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:31 PM Quote
A wonderful story. I can see why it must be such a special concert for Fran. I'm sure he'll remember it forever. Very cute and very lovely. :)

Fran is always great at putting stories across, either at a concert or written down. It'd be lovely to have an official Travis book one day. :)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
No requests at the end is like the equivalent of Daddy coming home from work early. So sweet. Nothing can prepare you for how much you will love your kids.

This is sooo true! You would stop heaven and earth for them.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:38 AM Quote
Awww thats so cute! I hopeclay will enjoy Last Train more when he gets older!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 2:11 AM Quote
Awwww...so sweet:)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:09 AM