Travis

Sentimental Clothing
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Oct, 2009 2:17 PM Quote
Do you have an article of clothing that is so old, outgrown, outdated, etc. that you know you will never wear it again--yet for some sentimental reason, you keep it? It stays there in the drawer or in the closet. You look at it and smile. It will never see the light of day, but you feel better just having it around.

Here is mine. It's a shirt from The Gap. I got it on my 16th birthday. My friends had the same shirt, but in different colors. It was my favorite shirt. It is ragged on the edges of the sleeves and collar now. But I still keep it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/4049381537_ce4211b0c6_m.jpg

Re: Sentimental Clothing
minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Oct, 2009 3:02 PM Quote
I have a couple things.
-a tshirt from when I was in about grade 4 and did Jump Rope for Heart (is that in other countries?) it is so stretched and so full of holes and I never ever wear it, but I cant throw it out.

-this sweater that I think it actually an old school rugby jersey that was my dad's as a kid and I found at my cottage years ago and also never ever wear anymore but it's adorable

-And I have zillions of old hockey jerseys and tshirts from tournements that I havent gotten rid of, and the crinoline from when I was 6 and a flower girl. It seriously doesnt fit around one leg now.

-OH and this dinosaur sweater that my mom knit for me when I was about 4. I used to wear it allllll the time in kindergarden. I squeezed myself into it a few months ago and it is what can only be discribed as a belly shirt.

I will try to remember to take pictures later

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 27 Oct, 2009 8:25 PM Quote
- A t-shirt that someone gave me as a birthday present when I turned 8. It still fits. I still wear it when I want to be comfortable at home, but I don't go out with it because it has a couple of holes.

- A huge crappy t-shirt with the logo of a Radio Station from Salta. It used to be the top of my pajamas, now it's nearly transparent so I don't wear it anymore. But I love it, I can't throw it away!

- My "graduation from primary school" sweater (rugby shirt style) - 1998. I still wear it on top of my pajamas when it's cold, but it's ragged on the edges of the sleeves.

- My overall from primary school signed by all my class mates and teachers.

- The clothes I wore for the "vuelta olímpica" ("olympic tour") when I graduated from highschool. A vuelta olímpica is a tradition in my highschool, it's evolved over the years, but when I graduated it meant: huuuge party in front of the school, with music, paint, foam, party favours, (alcohol), etc. It looks like this and this. It's awesome :oD

And then there're a lot of baby clothes, but my mum keeps those.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Oct, 2009 8:47 PM Quote
woah, Juli that looks like so much fun!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 27 Oct, 2009 9:16 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
woah, Juli that looks like so much fun!

It was! When my room is no longer chaos I'll look for a pic to show you. I remember one where I looked like Marilyn Manson but with bright colours in my hair :oP.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:49 PM Quote
a t shirt from the kinks 81 tour and I still have one full set of my army uniform from the 25th ID(L)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 1:27 PM Quote
I have a couple of tshirts; a few from Hard Rock Café, my graduation shirt (we don't get those big gowns, we just get a shirt with print)and of course my signed Coldplay tshirt.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 3:32 PM Quote
I have a T-shirt that is in good condition and fits but I never wear it yet I would never throw it out. It's a T-shirt from a family reunion weekend. I always mock those shirts so it's amusing that I show what a hypocrite I am since I can't get rid of mine.

It reminds me of a really fun weekend. We went to the town in Ohio where my grandfather grew up. A few years before WWII his dad came over from this teeny town in Italy, along with a good chunk of the population, so it has a lot of Italian roots and traditions.

Highlights include walking by a vacant lot and him saying "there was a bakery here until the mob blew it up" and the dancing doll celebration.

The weekend we went is some big Catholic celebration. The town has a carnival and Saturday night is the best night. It features a person inside a huge doll. I'd say it is a good 10 feet tall thing. A band plays horrible repetitive music and after awhile they light the thing on fire and the person keeps dancing. Eventually they put out the fire and the person climbs out.

It was one of the funniest and weirdest things I've ever seen in my life.

And that is why I love my ugly stereotypical tacky shirt.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:15 PM Quote
I posted my Gap shirt on Facebook, and although I know I have at least 3 friends who had the same shirt, no one has come forward.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:21 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I posted my Gap shirt on Facebook, and although I know I have at least 3 friends who had the same shirt, no one has come forward.

sometime's taking point has no glory , chea !

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:51 PM Quote
Baby Doll Video

I remember it being a bit bigger and actual fire but maybe my memory is off because other videos look similar to this.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:55 PM Quote
What is the purpose/significance of the Baby Doll Dance? I'm sure there's some great story behind something so bizarre.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 5:05 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
What is the purpose/significance of the Baby Doll Dance? I'm sure there's some great story behind something so bizarre.

I'd be interested to know as well.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 6:25 PM Quote
I read on some blog that at one point there was a shrine and it burnt so perhaps this is a tribute to that. ("Hey, how can we honor that our sacred statue got burnt?" "I know!! Let's put a dude in a lady costume and burn IT!")

I have no clue if it's true or not. I'll ask my aunt if she knows.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:38 PM Quote
I'm not sentimental about clothing at all. I tend to chuck stuff or send it to charity when I'm done.

I do have a jumper/sweater from Uni Graduation. But only coz it has my year of grad and name on it (along with everyone else in my year/BSc who graduated). It's a crappy top though, it annoys me as the neck seems too high but my mum and dad bought it for me on the day. Plus it's nice to look back on and try and remember who those other people were (my memory is dire).

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:04 PM