Travis

The Man Purse--discuss
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:18 PM Quote
I was listening to the radio a few days ago and they were interviewing a man who had written an essay about the fact that he now carries a "man purse." It all started when he and his wife had a baby and he had to carry a diaper bag. He started putting his cell phone in it. Then his keys. Pretty soon (gasp) his wallet (which he likened to taking out his soul and putting it into the bag). After his child was no longer in diapers, he lost his bag that he had been so accustomed to carrying. He broke down and bought a man-purse.

So, today I opened up my first holiday catalog of the season and what are they selling? Man purses.

I'm sure we've all seen the episode of Seinfeld where Elain gives Jerry the "European Men's Carry-all." (It's not a purse! It's European!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnKRbEPbItE

So, I just wondered what the opinion is nowadays, and if it varies by country. In the US, a man purse will still get you talked about and snickered at behind your back. But with all the stuff guys have to carry around...I can see where it would be convenient. My husband's friend has taken to wearing cargo pants just for the pockets.

So, is the man purse becoming more acceptable anywhere? Will anything other than a backpack make people whisper about the carrier?

Discuss. I would especially would like to hear the opinion of male boardies. (And no, I'm not getting Don a "murse" for Christmas. I'm just curious in general.)

Re: The Man Purse--discuss
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 2:36 AM Quote
Well a "Man-purse" can't be any worse than this:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/Byrnes323/FannyPacks.gif

The fannypack

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 2:41 AM Quote
i'd rather carry everything in my hands than use one of them.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 4:05 AM Quote
monkey wrote:

Than a man purse or a fanny pack????

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 5:43 AM Quote
a friend of mine uses one to carry cameras and stuff but i think it's werid

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 7:29 AM Quote
not acceptable.
only worn by elderly men who need to carry their pipe & tobacco around.

which is the reason why two of the very few good German comedians are wearing them to every show.
http://www.br-online.de/content/cms/Universalseite/2007/12/20/cumulus/BR-online-Publikation--56273.jpg

carrying college-/messenger-style bags is totally normal. Most of the guys I know would never put their wallet in there, though.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 7:56 AM Quote
This is a very French thing to do as well. My father in law has carried a "handbag" for years. Personally, I find it a bit strange :-S

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:05 AM Quote
I've taken to using a datchel style over the shoulder nmher. It's large enought that it would be referred to more as a man 'bag' than 'purse'. It's essentially the same thing though. I love havng my phone, keys, wallet, mp3 player all n there. When they're not in my pocket it keeps the lines on my jeans clean. Sometimes I'll put a book or a jumper in it, just to flesh it out a little. It's particularly useful in the summer months when I don't have my jacket with uber pocket space. I won't ever take it on nghts out though, that'd just be weird. It's easy enough to get aWay with it round town - people just assume I'm a student with a satchel bag. I can't imagine this will be so effective when I'm 40 however.

So those are my thoughts on man bags. Have I said too much?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:49 AM Quote
Depends what you actually mean.
I have a laptop type bag which i carry most of the week.
To be quite honest i dont think i could function without it.
Although i can see myself not needing one eventually.
More and more i can do everything on a phone these days that i need a laptop for.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:20 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
monkey wrote:

Than a man purse or a fanny pack????

both. I use a bag like the one Moray mentioned if i'm in and around the town centre.

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:39 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

I HAVE to stop using the "special" account for normal posts...hrmph...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:53 PM Quote
I agree with the boys that those larger types of bags or laptop bags are acceptable. Eve if Moray's explaination was hilarious. ALmost lost it when you got to the jumper bit :)

Remember Moray's "Scottish Man Purse/Fanny Pack" bahahaha

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 1:21 PM Quote
I think the problem with the "purses" is that you have to carry them round your wrist, or in your hand. So they swing along as you walk... and they're tiny.

Satchel-style bags are even used by business-men now, so I guess they've made it out of universities and into "grown-up"-life, at least in Germany.

http://www.besportier.com/archives/coach-varick-suede-flat-mail-satchel.jpg
(THIS is a GREAT bag... )

I would, however, probably raise two eyebrows if I ever saw a guy wearing a satchel like this one:

http://www.portmeiriononline.co.uk/images/product/pingu_satchel1221480687_914.jpg.

As I said, most guys I know wouldn't put their wallets into their bags - and I have no idea why they're so keen on ruining the pockets of their jeans... any ideas?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 3:51 PM Quote
I want that Pingu satchel for myself!! I laughed when Lindsay posted the fanny pack pics remembering the meaning of that in the UK.

I agree- man purses are weird but satchel bags are cool. Why shouldn't guys be allowed to carry around more than their wallet?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 21 Oct, 2009 3:56 PM Quote
One thing I remember seeing in Germany a lot is men carrying little coin purses in their pockets. I can see the need, lots of things need coins over there--train ticket machines and such, and you may not want to jingle when you walk. But you'd never catch a man with a coin purse here.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:09 PM