Travis

Re: Ode Musical :)
Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 8:15 PM Quote

Turn & Slide show ..very good suggestions..

Slide show used to be in - but we wanted to keep it rockier - since the idea came from the Ode record...

I also have to make sure that that whole thing doesn't get longer than 2 1/2 hours...

That's why there'se gonna be a medley : 3-times and you lose & Chinese BLues - just like they did in the States - but finishing again on "3 times and you lose"

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 8:21 PM Quote
Thanks Nora, but I think you're forgetting that you're talking about me now, you're the genius among us! :)

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:06 PM Quote
START
Darkness light on the narrator

Narrator: Welcomes the audience and starts telling the story of a guy called J.Smith living in a town/city (not sure yet) where things are not really good. "dreams are broken, words are seldom spoken"...She's also already talking about the lyrics / about ppl thinking that they have their fate in their own hand - but then get their big surprise. About ppl being all together - and yet lonely, helpless and sad. That's how she picks up the storyline.

While she's speaking you can see in a big screen on the side a city, covered in snow, ppl running through it (an accelerated 24h shot)...which goes on whilst out of the dark the first song starts to play, meanwhile you see the lyrics of the songs on another/same screen:
3 Times and you lose(1.verse)-ChineseBlues-3times and you lose (first verse)

(3 Times may be sung by J.Smith - but Chinese Blues will be sung by the "choire" - as it is ABOUT him and them and has 3 voices. The "choire" is the support of the narrator!)
------------------------------------------------------------

Scene 1:
J.Smith alone on the sofa in a tiny room playing on his playstation. Doing nothing but that! On the fridge you can see a list whith things he's supposed to do - but hasn't done yet. You can see he's not pleased with the situation, but still isn't doing to change it. (He's got black cloths on). Lights out:
Driftwood
Tail of the tiger
Scene 2:
Sarah get's home and get's mad about J doing nothing for both of them. You can see by the way they talk that they've been together for a long time. But there's not just moaning but also sadness in it - They fight - stop fighting and sit down in the kitchen - none of them speaking a word - but both sad - realising this can't go on like this - but what way to go? The fight mainly was about not talking to each other - She can see that he's uncomfortable - but he won't tell what's going on.
Light out
Battleships
-------------------------------------------------------------
Scene3: Next day:
(With help from the narrator)

J.Smith remembers the time when they were lucky together. And realises how everything changed...(on the screen now: slideshow of old pictures of Sarah&J.Smith)
Used to belong
The Distance
---------------------------------------------------------
Scene4: (With narrator)
He remembers the time when he asked her to marry him but then also how she turned him down and gets sadder and sadder...
The Ballad of J.Smith
---------------------------------------------------------
Scene5: (With narrator)
J.Smith realises that he's got to do something...he's lost like everything in his life - and now he is kinda losing the one thing he actually loved - Sarah.
He get’s the idea that everything and everyone is against him. Everyone’s out to get him - everybody else’s got a better life than him….he’s getting a bit paranoid:

Side-Eyes wide open-side

He realises that he hasn't been very good to her - that she's deserved better and there's no way back to those good old times.
He desperately looks for something, anything to hold on...
Something Anything
Scene6:
Meanwhile Sarah is remembering the past as well. Going through all those years…Doesn’t quite know how life will go on..with him or without him..but she know’s she’s not quite alone as she hold a wee picture in her hand (on the screen now: a sonogram). She goes to the phone..wants to tell J.Smith..but then hangs up again. She’s been carrying this secret now for a while - unable to talk to him - not knowing if he’s ready for a role like this…
Slide Show - while remembering (slide show on the screen not sure if that song is in or out)
Love will come through (sung by Sarah - and choire on the refrain)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scene7:
J.Smith is now at his lowest point. He's calling Sarah...wants to talk to the only possible person...but Sarah's working - not picking up the phone. So he leaves a goodbye message and says "by the time you hear this I'll be gone". He waits a sec - before turning off his phone - while the song already starts to play.

Song to self (sung by J.Smith)

(Will probably be cut out!)
Scene8
: J.Smith speechless, angry...goes into the bathroom.....looking into the mirror - smashes the mirror....
Narrator: he never want's to be alone, he never ever wants to go home again...this,he knows for sure...
Broken Mirror (sung by J.Smith)

Scene:9
Again with Sarah: She hasn't heard the message yet. Doesn't know what's going on but is also reflecting the last couple of years being with him...realising that he's actually never been a quite nice friend...
Friends sung by Sarah
----------------------------------------------------
Scene10:
Narrator speaking, J. acting:
Back to J.Smith now: He goes out of the bathroom and to the window. He stares down (Screen: high building, looking down at ppl, winter, snow). He want's to jump - acts like it - but then looks down again - relises: Fuck it's very freaking long way down (which was the point at the beginning but never mind...dear J...) and gets scared. This fright of death gives him the will to live again!

Long way down
Scene11:
He goes back to the bathroom, wants to shower, wants to start again. But then, the radio falls into the bathtub and he....

So the narrator talks the story line again...about how fate took over...about his way up to heaven and down to hell until he's again on earth, condemned to walk on earth as a ghost. Seeing but not able to interact. So earth is hell.
J.Smith
(Screen don't know...women sing the angel part, men sing the demon part - all together the rest)
Scene12:
Sarah comes home....finds the message

Last words
Scene13:
Sarah is devastated....J.Smith's watching her but she can't see him. The audience can see a bottle of gin on the shelf..which she takes and drinks..and drowns herself in her sorrow...fade out..piano intro

Sarah sung by the choire or by J.Smith's ghost :)
Screen: you can see time goes by..Sarah pregnant, Sarah having his child...
One Night sung by all
Final Scene14: With help from the narrator

J.Smith watches the screen during the song "Sarah" and finds out about their child...taken by it he sings to his son/daughter about the days before he/she was young...

Before you were young sung by J.Smith
---
Maybe - as for a lift up:
My eyes sung by Sarah

Songs in line or cut out: Quite free, Get Up, Broken Mirror (?), Last Words (?), Tur, SJ
Additional Song: Slide Show: On Screen: Pics of us of the preparation during the whole year…

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:12 PM Quote
So you skipped Side Wide Open?

I like the new version, but I'd liked it if Eyes Wide Open made it too, it fits the story....Side is a great song, but I didn't really understand what it was doing there, but EWO should be in the play ;) hehehe

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:21 PM Quote
Errhm also it gets a bit depressing ending it with One Night + Before You Were Young, hehe I almost started crying reading all of that(Well that must mean you've done a hell of a job) so how about somehow having Sarah singing My Eyes to put the baby to sleep whilst thinking of J. Smith? That would be more of an american ending lol! "Deep in my heart there's no room for crying, but I'm trying to see your point of view"...

Sorry for all of these ideas, I don't want to take over your play!

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:31 PM Quote
I kind of like the depressing ending, that's how life is! :P
The same thing happened to me as I read it, first of all I felt the urge of playing Ode and then my eyes started to water :) Good job!! (Both of you!)

Have you tried to fit EWO in the new arrangement?

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:41 PM Quote
double

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:42 PM Quote

Hahhha...well let me edit then again..

EWO is still in - somehow my word kicked it out though..I think my computer does not like the story...hehe.

Selfish Jean would be great - but the story's getting quite long now. As goes for Turn.

My Eyes at the end would be great I think I'm gonna put it in - but then the whole story get's a different ending..

BYWY gives it a heavy ending...and My Eyes more a soft ending --- both would fit into the story- but would totally change it as well...

Ah yes...and it's Side-EWO combination. Side: Since he thinks everyone's life is better than his...Eyes wide open - cos he gets paranoid.....which leads him to his decision...

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 7:01 AM Quote
Wow, great job Nora! I got all excited just by reading, I can't imagine how I am gonna be when you finish the whole project xD.
Just like Ana I like the depressing scenario :oP.

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 19 Aug, 2009 1:49 PM Quote

edit: deleted it since the story's been rewritten from the beginning to the end. Actually I think it's better now. More for a theater than a movie now. Less reminiscing.

The parts Fran told us about are still the same though. So that won't change. Everything else is new. Won't publish it though until we do it here.

today we're gonna team up for the musical part, visual part, technic part, direction and play etc.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Thu 20 Aug, 2009 5:42 PM Quote
WOW! Nora, great proyect!!! I really like the way you have planned it ;)
If I could I'd love to go there and watch the play :)

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Sun 07 Nov, 2010 1:32 AM Quote
Over a year later... the big day arrived!!

I want pics, vids and backstage stories :) Spare no detail, Nora!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 07 Nov, 2010 2:37 AM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:
Over a year later... the big day arrived!!

I want pics, vids and backstage stories :) Spare no detail, Nora!

I second Ana! ;oD

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 07 Nov, 2010 3:16 AM Quote
I third Ana. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 07 Nov, 2010 10:14 AM Quote
I fourth Anna, hehe!

This is so cooooool!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:13 AM