Travis

Re: Could Travis be acused of neglecting their UK fans?
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:49 AM Quote
I have the perfect solution. All of us boardies move to the UK. You have enough room for us, don't you Ben?

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 4:24 AM Quote
Darn. So, every year Travis make less dates. This is worrying. Lol you girls made me hungry.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:21 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I would also very, very much like to leave it be. :)

I tried on the previous page by running through the thread naked. Thought it would lighten the mood. Or at least frighten people away. lol

Everyone have a nice week. :)

Yes , about that. My lawyer will be in touch :)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:36 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
I would also very, very much like to leave it be. :)

I tried on the previous page by running through the thread naked. Thought it would lighten the mood. Or at least frighten people away. lol

Everyone have a nice week. :)

Yes , about that. My lawyer will be in touch :)

Hahahhahhaa oh my God...;)

If he gets thrown out of the UK he can come to us...apparently some Swiss people like it to go hiking...and that totally naked....

hahha

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:39 PM Quote
Good gawd. I'm with the side saying 20 is enough. I don't really see the point of analysing all this either. They have lives to lead, they wanna travel, do different things ... whatever. I can't help but think that doing gigs in the same place, seeing the same people might just get a bit tedious ... but that's just my opinion and what I'd be thinking if I'd been doing the same circuit for 10/15 years.
And all those who are picking fault in them only doing 20 gigs - did you go to those 20 gigs? If you didn't, then what are you complaining about? If you wanted to see Travis so many bloomin' times why didn't you go to every gig?
If you did go to 20 gigs ... gawd help you.

gromit373
gromit373 Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:10 PM Quote
all i can say is.. i've been in dublin for a year and it can't be possible (but it is) that bruce springsteen has played here twice in that time while travis has none :( i don't know if they're neglecting their UK fans, but they surely are their irish ones!! :( i miss you guys!!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:46 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
Good gawd. I'm with the side saying 20 is enough. I don't really see the point of analysing all this either. They have lives to lead, they wanna travel, do different things ... whatever. I can't help but think that doing gigs in the same place, seeing the same people might just get a bit tedious ... but that's just my opinion and what I'd be thinking if I'd been doing the same circuit for 10/15 years.
And all those who are picking fault in them only doing 20 gigs - did you go to those 20 gigs? If you didn't, then what are you complaining about? If you wanted to see Travis so many bloomin' times why didn't you go to every gig?
If you did go to 20 gigs ... gawd help you.

Ouch, feeling the negativity here....

Back to basics.

Yes it is a form of neglect. See comments re other UK based bands.

Yes, a UK band gigging in the UK will help boost their album sales.

No, 20 gigs in 2 years is not a lot, in the context of 2 brand new albums to launch.

And a big hefty NO, I certainly hope that no band I ever see finds it tedious to play to its fans. Regardless of how many times they have played that particular town.

This is not in depth analysis. I don't have the time. This is simply a UK fan's perspective, based on a, experience of Travis in the past, b, current UK gigging "patterns" by other UK bands, and c, genuine surprise and disappointment that Ode and TBWNN haven't been backed up with systematic and comprehensive live promotion here.

Lordy I thought this topic was exhausted. But clearly not. Paul C asked a simple question, and the simple answer is yes. End of.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 3:28 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Ouch, feeling the negativity here....

Back to basics.

Yes it is a form of neglect. See comments re other UK based bands.

Yes, a UK band gigging in the UK will help boost their album sales.

No, 20 gigs in 2 years is not a lot, in the context of 2 brand new albums to launch.

And a big hefty NO, I certainly hope that no band I ever see finds it tedious to play to its fans. Regardless of how many times they have played that particular town.

This is not in depth analysis. I don't have the time. This is simply a UK fan's perspective, based on a, experience of Travis in the past, b, current UK gigging "patterns" by other UK bands, and c, genuine surprise and disappointment that Ode and TBWNN haven't been backed up with systematic and comprehensive live promotion here.

Lordy I thought this topic was exhausted. But clearly not. Paul C asked a simple question, and the simple answer is yes. End of.

It's not negativity at all. It's just my perspective and what I would think if I'd been in a band since the mid-90s.

There isn't really an answer to the question posed. You either agree with it, or you don't. There are differing opinions on this board, you know that :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 1:46 AM Quote
Well, I think neglect is kinda a strong word to throw around for starters. It kinda implies Travis have some sort of almost moral obligation to gig more in the UK and that's not the case. Perhaps they haven't done as many UK shows recently as usual, but I'm sure there'll be another big UK tour in the pipeline in the not-too-distant future.

As we all know and have frequently discussed, Ode wasn't well promoted. Commercially speaking, perhaps they feel that to try and push the Ode boat out now with big tours and what not would be a bit like flogging a dead horse. I'm happy with them going into writing mode at the mo, and doing the occasional show here and there around the world. It would've been nice to see them on the stage of a few of this summer's British festivals for sure. But who knows, maybe this time next year they'll have another album near or at completion and it'd be more sensible for them to go all-out then.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 5:11 PM Quote
It's threads like this that make me glad I went on holiday for two weeks! No offence Ben, but you did end up making the same two points over and over again. I think if you'd stopped arguing (er, I mean discussing) then everyone else would have done too :)

I think that "neglecting" the UK is a bit strong, but they're not giving us (or anywhere) an excess of attention. Now that they're living in different parts of the country/world, touring is a lot harder and they can't just throw together an impromptu couple of shows very easily, so full tours are more the order of the day. In fairness, I've seen them 3 times in the UK in the last 2 years and 2 months and that's fine for me.

However, it is rare that a band spends an entire year away from UK gigs - we'll have to see whether they have anything planned. In the UK, you can reasonably expect to be able to see a band at least once every few months if you're prepared to travel a bit.

Finally complements to Paul for asking a good question and then staying out of the ensuing mess :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:01 PM Quote
You're right James. I did keep repeating myself. Though to be fair, it wasn't easy with people calling me selfish, spoiled and offensive and having nobody even vaguely on my side for about 4 pages. Also, I never realised it was going to be such a sensitive issue. :) Maybe I could/should have known that though. :)

I'm sure the UK will receive the next Travis tour and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them. :) I also hope Travis visit other countires. Countries they've never been and a whole South American tour would be fantastic. :) I would one day love to see Travis in another country. :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:08 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I would one day love to see Travis in another country. :)

Me too! France , Spain , Berlin ,anywhere in Europe , I just gotta cure my fear of flying lol :)

Anyway Ben , I appreciate that you are disappointed and I'm sorry for that but hopefully something soon :)

Fran
Fran Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:13 PM Quote
We played 25 times in the Uk out of 86 shows over J. Smith. That's a third of all shows. There is no other country we played more or play more. WTF!
We play our balls off every night regardless where we are or who we play for, so kindly fuck off with your moans else I will come round your house and personally administer a wedgey... AYE!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:20 PM Quote
Master ......'as spoken :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:54 PM Quote
Fran, I love you.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:04 AM