Travis

Re: Harry friggen Potter Wednesday!
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:51 PM Quote
I'm getting ready to go see it here in about an hour. I'll let you know what I think.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:04 PM Quote
yeah, Im seeing it tonight too! Acouple more hours though for me.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Fri 17 Jul, 2009 3:51 AM Quote
Alright so I just got back awhile ago. It was OK. I liked the last one a little more.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 2:32 AM Quote
I was dissapointed.
C'mon, i'm not doing any spoiler, but the death on this movie, isn't sad. For example, on the 4th Movie, it was saddest when cedric died, but, in this one was like "O_o....ok"
And i just "like" the movie, but more dissapointed me than nothing. Some ineccesary scenes. Lot of feeling left apart.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 2:54 AM Quote
For me it was the closest to my imagination of any of the movies thus far. I was quite satisfied.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 4:12 AM Quote
No, your right about the death scene...It was fairly anti-climatic. But overall, I really enjoyed it as well, even if it strayed from the book much of the time...what can you do, its a complicated story to tell in 2.5 hours.

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 8:07 AM Quote
R.I.P.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 1:37 PM Quote
I've stopped judging the movies compaired to the books. So I'm just quite happy that this movie was entertaining. I think all the actors keep getting better, and even though I hate Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, I didn't find him as annoying in this one as in others.

As for the death, I thought it was well done, I found it shocking even though I was expecting it.

EDIT: I just read an article about Michael Gambon saying he doesn't want to read the books cos he feels it would ruin the illusion of the movies. I think that shows a total lack of respect for the story, the fans, his job. I don't know, I mean I'm not an actor but i've seen interviews with some actors who seem to go to great lengths to research their characters cos they feel it's part of their job and it's expected of them. At least this explains why Gambon's got it so wrong, in my opinion anyway.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 4:18 PM Quote
I'll probably see the movie on Thursday when it comes out, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

But Fen, I totally agree with you about Michael Gambon. I didn't know he didn't read the books. No wonder his Dumbledore is so different from the one on the books. I think that if you're doing a movie that's based on a book series, then you *must* read it. No question about it.
It's one thing that they change many parts of the story and leave out a lot of the plot of the books. That's understandable; a film is not a book. But to deviate one of the main characters from its original version (that - to make things worse - was portrayed so well by Richard Harris in the first two movies), is totally wrong.
I <3 Richard Harris.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 4:27 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
EDIT: I just read an article about Michael Gambon saying he doesn't want to read the books cos he feels it would ruin the illusion of the movies. I think that shows a total lack of respect for the story, the fans, his job. I don't know, I mean I'm not an actor but i've seen interviews with some actors who seem to go to great lengths to research their characters cos they feel it's part of their job and it's expected of them. At least this explains why Gambon's got it so wrong, in my opinion anyway.

I totally agree. I mean, I guess it could be easier to not read the books and create your own character, but in THIS series most people want the characters they know from the books! Also, Michael Gambon was never Dumbledore for me- Richard Harris, however, was unnervingly Dumbledoreish...
-I read somewhere that Alan Rickmam never read the books either, but he's pretty spot-on with Snape...hum

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 5:04 PM Quote
Steph_canuck wrote:
fenchurch wrote:

I totally agree. I mean, I guess it could be easier to not read the books and create your own character, but in THIS series most people want the characters they know from the books! Also, Michael Gambon was never Dumbledore for me- Richard Harris, however, was unnervingly Dumbledoreish...
-I read somewhere that Alan Rickmam never read the books either, but he's pretty spot-on with Snape...hum

He's doing himself and everyone else a total disservice by not reading the book. It's even kinda disrespectful to the author. He's supposed to mold himself to the character. He's an actor, not an artist free to make it what he wants.

That's like trying to be Scarlet O'Hara without reading Gone With the Wind.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 21 Jul, 2009 5:14 PM Quote
Steph_canuck wrote:
Richard Harris, however, was unnervingly Dumbledoreish...

Richard Harris was amazing. Michael Gambon probably hasn't even watched the first two. He's using an Irish accent cos Richard Harris was Irish, but he had an English accent in the movies! Not to mind his accent is totally the wrong region if he wants it to be like Richard Harris.

I heard that JK Rowling told Alan Rickman things about Snape that hadn't been in published books yet! He's different to what I think of Snape, but apparently she thinks he's perfect, so I can't complain.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 4:02 PM Quote
rap off

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 1:55 PM Quote
ok.
the actors: great. totally loved Harry's Felix-Felicis scenes and Ron was hilarious!

BUT:

I'm sorry, this movie is NOT a "Harry Potter" adaptation. It is a "David Yates and Steve Kloves invent all kinds of stuff and make the whole thing totally un-emotional" CRAPPY film.
Horrible horrible movie, on the whole.

I have to pretend it wasn't a HP film, maybe I can get over it this way...

Damn David Yates... They only kept him because he's making non-expensive movies (seriously)...

I WANT ALFONSO CUARĂ“N BACK!!!!!!
*sniff* I'm soooo disappointed...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 4:00 PM Quote
I saw it yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it.

lilly wrote:
ok.
the actors: great. totally loved Harry's Felix-Felicis scenes and Ron was hilarious!

I agree. I honestly didn't know Daniel Radcliffe could be funny, lol! The "comic parts" were very funny.

lilly wrote:

BUT:

I'm sorry, this movie is NOT a "Harry Potter" adaptation. It is a "David Yates and Steve Kloves invent all kinds of stuff and make the whole thing totally un-emotional" CRAPPY film.
Horrible horrible movie, on the whole.

I have to pretend it wasn't a HP film, maybe I can get over it this way...

I'm not sure if I liked the movie or not. I was very disappointed because they changed so many important things and invented others that weren't necessary at all. Half-way through the film I thought "ok, try not to think about the book and just try to enjoy it", but still I found it very un-emotional, like you said, Lilly.
I think that many if not all of the crucial moments of the story lacked "drama" (I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for). I'm not saying it should be melodramatic, but it shouldn't be so ordinary either. It was like terrible things happened but people seemed to be not so concerned... I don't know how to say it...
Plus the relationship Dumbledore - Harry suckssss!

On the other hand, I like how the movie was shot. It has some very nice scenes.
When it ended I thought that maybe if I hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books I might have liked it more...

I don't know. I think I have to see it again.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:43 AM