Travis

so, my dog was put to sleep tonight...
Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:18 PM Quote
... and i have no idea how to cope with it. i knew it was gonna happen one day, as he was almost 14 years old and his heart had become very weak. and during the last couple of months he lost so much weight that you could see every bone - only his stomach became a huge balloon and the vet couldn't really tell what happened. but breathing and moving became heavier every day... and tonight the vet came to our house and said it was about time to put him down.

when i was with him last night - i spent over three hours lying next to him, to the point were we both fell asleep - and i heard him breathing and whining, i realized for the first time ever, that it definitely is time for him to go.
i know it was for the better, i really do.

but i don't know how and when i'll get over it. it feels like i've had him forever. for me, this definitely is as bad as losing a family member and i don't think i'll ever stop crying.

help.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4052/forumd.jpg

Re: so, my dog was put to sleep tonight...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:29 PM Quote
So sorry, Sarah. It will just take time.

Try to stay busy with happy things. Go out with friends and stay away from the TV and movies. Do stuff where you don't have to think. When I feel sad about something, I find that being active helps. Do something silly like get a bunch of girls together and go miniature golfing or bowling or roller skating.

After my cat was put to sleep, it was a long time before I could even watch a pet food commercial without crying. It just...takes time.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:34 PM Quote
Oh I feel so so sorry for your loss! Animals really become family members that's for sure. I was completely devastated when my previous dog past away, it took me almost a year to move on.. :( No words can make it any less painful, but I truely feel for you, I know how hard it can be... And it's okay to cry, let it out!

*HUGS*

mili
mili Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:35 PM Quote
He looks beautiful in your picture.

He must have been suffering, so at least that's over now and he has no pain anymore. You had a long history together, that's something to cherish and you'll always remember him, best to concentrate on the good times.

*Hugs*

Aída
Aída Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:37 PM Quote

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:40 PM Quote
Sarah, I am so sorry. I have 2 dogs of my own...(one is a dachshund too) and although they are still young, I know one day I will have to face this too. I'm getting a bit choked up thinking about it, and reading your story.

I hope you find some comfort soon. It will take time, I'm sure, but like Kayte said, try to keep yourself busy.

*Hugs*

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:51 PM Quote
aida, so sorry you lost your cat... the pictures are beautiful.

and thanks guys for all your kind words, it really means a lot.
he looked so peaceful when he was dead, i never thought i'd be able to look at him but it felt like he was asleep. we burried him in a "coffin" (my dad made it) with all his blankets, flowers and his favourite ball... it looked beautiful, really.
and i don't think we were overdoing anything, because seeing him for the last time that way helped a lot.

anyway, i think i'll try to sleep now, otherwise my head will probably explode.

goodnight and thank you!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:43 PM Quote
So sorry for your loss Sarah. They become little furry parts of your family. He looks like such an adorable doggie.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 12:48 AM Quote
So sorry Sarah. I've loved and lost several pets in my life and it is always heartbreaking. They bring so much love and joy so of course it's horrible when they die.

In time it won't be so awful. You will always love him of course but it won't hurt this bad forever.

I got lots of support from fellow animal lovers on here when my cat got killed last year. Know that lots of people on here understand what you're feeling right now.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 4:08 AM Quote
l'm so sorry Sarah.

You're right, animals are part of the family. l remember when l lost my first dog. l was 6 years old. l still miss him.

Life must go on.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 4:09 AM Quote
Sorry for your loss Sarah:(
*BIG HUGS*

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 7:28 AM Quote
I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved animal is horrible. I know just what you are going through. It will take some time to heal. Remember all the good times. I don't know if some people think this is lame, but this really helps me and I still cry everytime I watch it.

The Rainbow Bridge

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:43 AM Quote
^wow, that must be the most beautiful and saddest video ever... thanks so much for sharing, i love it... <3

feeling awful today. this morning i thought the crying had stopped but of course it has not. but at the moment i don't want it to stop anyway, as there's nothing else i wanna do... i don't wanna go out, i don't even wanna see my boyfriend. maybe tomorrow.
i've already lost some people in my life and sometimes it has been just as bad as this situation now. therefore i know i will feel better someday. but at the moment it's just awful... =( i miss him so much.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 2:14 PM Quote
So sorry to hear the news Sarah. It's not something I've had to go through myself, I'm very lucky. I'm sure I have no idea how you must be feeling. It's ok to feel as low as you must feel, don't rush. Take all the time you need, and I'm sure you'll feel better as time passes.

Nell
Nell Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 3:59 PM Quote

I'm so sorry, Sarah, to hear that.
I can't imagine losing my dog, who's been with me for the last 8 years...

I'm so so sorry for you...

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:29 PM