Travis

What has TRAVIS taught you?
alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 7:02 AM Quote
What has TRAVIS taught you?
I mean about life, love, anything.

Travis does a lot of things for me. The music moves me to tears sometimes, makes me feel content with where I'm at, makes me run and smile and want to reach my full potential whatever that may be...a lot of things.

But I think one of the greatest things I've learned from their music is that I should never keep Love to myself. I know everyone's takes on lyrics and all that is unique to that person because of their life/experiences/views/desires but I think, their music particularly, just inspires me to be open with people, and tell them what I find beautiful about them, even if it's rambly and corny and possibly unreciprocated. I feel like it's so so much better to just let it out and let it take its own course from there on.

Anyways! yeah, anyone else wanna have a go?

Re: What has TRAVIS taught you?
Fer Fer
Fer Fer Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 7:50 AM Quote
I can't exactly say that Travis has actually taught me anything.. but maybe like they taught me that i'm not the only one going through a certain situation. Like in the song 20. I listened to that so much when i was 16 or so, it was like it was written just for me. Then listening to it again after i became 20, well, same thing all over again. And now it's been about 8 months living with my boyfriend and sometimes we get into these stupid arguments, and Battleships is kind of the song that says to me 'don't worry, it's normal to have spats every now and then when you live with someone, you're not alone'. So... i guess for me Travis kind of confirms what i already feel and puts it in such a beautiful form

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 2:42 PM Quote
Well the biggest thing for me was how to sing/play guitar at the same time. The first song i learned how to sing and play guitar at the same time was a Travis song- before that, i just couldn't do it!

Apart from that, they've taught me how to have a bloody good time! Some of the best nights i've ever had have all been at Travis gigs

deadair
deadair Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:33 PM Quote
reading an interview with Fran Healy about 3 years ago renewed my determination to follow my dream. in a way it doesn't matter whether i actually achieve this dream; it's just the fact that something about Fran's passion for music gave me renewed hope

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:35 PM Quote
Travis have taught me what a capo is haha. I didn't know what one was before!!

Re: Song Showdown Round 3
harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
this kind of system never means anything until you get to the winner. A song just has to beat one other to get through, but by the end you DO have a proper winner because every other song has been knocked out by a better one. If that makes sense.

Some really good songs have already been knocked out but SOMEWHERE in this 16 should be the best of the best.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
I've probably learnt a few bits and pieces from Travis, 'though nothing specific comes to mind. Perhaps how a banjo can be implemented into a pop songs and actually sound cool. :D

I'd say they've taught me the meaning of good quality song-writing though. That's definitely inspiring.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
Travis' music has shown me that it's okay to be a sensitive bloke and that great music doesn't have to be turned up to 11 to rock. Travis have been part of the soundtrack to me and my wife's lives for quite a number of years now, it's always great for us to bond over the new music and the old stuff too. that's why i can't wait for july when me and jones can see the lads play live in Beantown. we're taking that day off, and the next day too (hurray) long, long weekend for us, so cool.

kevinnn
kevinnn Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 4:39 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Travis have taught me what a capo is haha. I didn't know what one was before!!

haha, the little riff in side which andy plays inspired me to learn guitar.

tinkerbell
tinkerbell Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 5:25 PM Quote
Not to play Why Does It Always Rain On Me? on a sunny day!!!

Lucile
Lucile Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 5:43 PM Quote
Travis has taught me quite a few things. Among other things, I think Travis has taught me to be a better person. I've always been amazed at how much they love people. They spread love through their songs, their live performances and when they take the time to chat with the fans. And once you've seen them perform, you're just overflowing with love and happiness and it makes you want to share it with other people. You just feel like you have to give something back. I'm not sure that makes sense but that's how I feel.

On a more personal note, I also think their music has taught me to live with myself. I've gone through some rough times when I didn't really like myself to say the least and I've always felt it very soothing to listen to their songs. It's like hitting the pause button of a remote control and you feel at peace with yourself. This feeling is particularly strong when I listen to The Boy with no name for some reason. I sometimes say it's like having a peaceful meeting with yourself.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 6:54 PM Quote
I guess that there's good music out there that's not necessarily what's popular or fashionable. Sounds weird, but I'll try to explain - when I was a kid I just took notice of what was in the chart. If a song didn't chart well, it was because it sucked.

Then I hear Side and I'm in love. I wait for the chart position, and it goes in quite low down. I'm thinking "but I love this, what's going on!" and suddenly everything's not so black & white anymore.

Really that was about the stage I started to listen to stuff I liked, not what my mates listened to. Started to get my own taste, without Travis wouldn't have got into bands like Ocean Colour Scene, Teenage Fanclub etc.

So 6 years or so down the line I'm quite scathing of the top 40 chart, the stuff 'kids these days' listen to, etc. If it wasn't for hearing Side on the radio I'd probably be listening to Beyonce and 50Cent innit.

Elein
Elein Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 7:45 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
I think Travis has taught me to be a better person. I've always been amazed at how much they love people. They spread love through their songs, their live performances and when they take the time to chat with the fans. And once you've seen them perform, you're just overflowing with love and happiness and it makes you want want to share it with other people. You just feel like you have to give something back. I'm not sure that makes sense but that's how I feel.

makes perfect sense and i totally agree

Afterglow
Afterglow Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:38 PM Quote
Travis has definitely taught me that there is a lot of music out there that is not mainstream but sounds much better than stuff on the radio. Before I found Travis I was just listening to popular music and the stuff that my friends listened to. Now most of what I listen to is not mainstream and I enjoy listening to music so much more.
The messages of the songs always teach me something.
Other than that, I really admire how genuine and fun-loving the guys are and and how they aren't afraid to speak their minds. I try to act the same way and I think it has made me a better person. Thanks for helping me grow up Travis! ;)

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:41 PM Quote
Travis taught me a lot of things... a lot as you can' imagine... but i guess the selfconfidence and think possitive has been one of the best. Music is my passion, Travis is my passion... I'm like "hi, I'm Erika and I love Travis..." that's true lol

I need to think and I'll wrote it... now I just have the idea in Spanish lol

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:05 AM