Travis

Your 1st Travis concert
sallycc
sallycc Posted Fri 01 May, 2009 11:47 PM Quote
I am just curious about when and where did everyone here go for their 1st Travis concert; and what was the experience like...

ok, here is my 1st Travis concert:

where: golden gate park, san francisco, ca, usa
when: summer 2000

my college roommate and i decided to go to this outdoor concert called "alice now and zen fest" (alice being a popular bay area ratio station). and the interesting thing was that we actually wanted to see keanu reeves's band called "dogstar" (yes, yes, i know, i heard how "good" the "dogstar" is). BUT, we over slept and by the time we arrived at the festival, "dogstar" was long gone and guess who was playing when we got there...TRAVIS (they just started off with WDIAROM)...i had no idea who this band was and all i saw was audience members jumping up and down as the song played on (now i am proud to be one of those "jumpers" at Travis concert during WDIAROM)...i did NOT fall in love with Travis at first sight cuz i was so mad at the fact that we missed "dogstar"...worse than that, i got irritated when someone in the audience shouting "Travis is the greatest band in the world" (whoever you were, my sincere apology cuz you were speaking nothing but the truth :) )

...now i wanted to start a thread called "Your 2nd Travis concert"...hahaha...cuz i didn't fall in love with the band until i saw them for the 2nd time (another good story, btw)

peace :)

Re: Your 1st Travis concert
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 01 May, 2009 11:56 PM Quote
Parr Hall, Warrington, March 2007.

After being a fan for 6 or 7 years I finally saw them live. It was actually 2004 when I first realised I wanted to see them live. It wasn't until then they really toured again (please Travis, no big gap like that again) so it was a few years of waiting. :) The band had been revealing songs weekly by Myspace but I'd avoided them so didn't know any new songs apart from Closer. It was 9pm, the lights dimmed and a few men walked on stage. Music started, the lights came up. Travis were up on stage in front of me. Couldn't believe it! They played Eyes Wide Open a song I had never heard at that point so it was so strange. But then they played Writing To Reach You which was when it really hit me. "I'm finally at a Travis concert!"

Not my favourite Travis gig though, but will always be very special. :)

alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 12:24 AM Quote
National Stadium. Lima, Peru
November 2008

only a few months ago but feels like an eternity.
Travis were supporting REM, the gig was succesful but everyone here thinks that Travis deserves come back. no doubt.

Definitely won't be my first and last Travis gig (Hope so!)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 1:04 AM Quote
Sports Palace, Mexico City, August 2007.

They had already came to Mexico City 3 years before this gig. Unfortunately, I couldn't go, my sisters didn't let me, they say it was not safe to go and something could happen to me... Yeah, they didn't know what was the deal with Travis... Anyhow, on 2007 I decided I would go no matter what, I even paid for my ticket, so they wouldn't said NO to me :oP.
Well, about the show I have just one word: OUTSTANDING. After long years of waiting to see/heard them live this gig was a fantastic reward. Also, I'm not showing off on this one :oP, but it has been the longest setlist they have ever played on a gig. Every time I thought it was the last song they would play, another one came up. I couldn't believe, I even cry because I thought I would never get to hear live some of the songs they played that night. So, yes, it was a bit overwhelming... and sooooo freaking fantastic! :oD
That one has been the best Travis concert to me, so far.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 3:08 AM Quote
l've never been to a Travis concert ='(

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 3:26 AM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:

:,( The same here. Now I'm depressed...

steeler62
steeler62 Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 5:34 AM Quote
My first concert was in 07 at the Filmore in San Francisco. I was disapointed the took a gab after 12 memories but it was worth seeing them live that night. My favorite song by them is Sing and hearing that live was truly amazing. I remember being shocked by how good they were live. It was amazing and Fran was funny and every song was just great. Though my second time seeing them was even better cause I got to meet the band and I got to kiss Frans ass.(He had pants on and it was a bet i had lost with a friend) The greatest thing was that when i saw them later that week Fran remembered me. Well it is hard to forget a guy who kisses your ass. Well I have not been sad about a gig yet and always come away being blown away at just how good they are live.

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 6:32 AM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:
Rammsfer wrote:

:,( The same here. Now I'm depressed...

Don't be Fer and Ana!U'll both DEFINITELY get ur chance one day=D

Mine was on the 2nd Aug 08,pretty unexpected when they announced they were headlining Singfest 08 in Singapore!Still remain the BEST night and gig of my life ever=D It was crazy awesome and so surreal most of all to see them right in front of me when I never thought it would ever happen.They'll probably never come back to Singapore(I WISH THEY WOULD THOU!) and I hope I'll get to see them again somewhere else if not here:)I'll never forget priceless memories of that night and I even got my MVT item from the first Travis encounter,I couldn't have asked for more.They were just amazing.They put up a brilliant show!

seasonticket
seasonticket Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 7:32 AM Quote
Like a lot of people of my age in the UK, I saw them supporting Oasis.
Now, call me naive if you want but as it was my first big gig I did not know you were not supposed to care about the support... so I carefully watched MTV and listened to the radio so I was able to tell my Mum (who was taking me and my bf in the car to Birmingham), all about the other band.
Not like these days with the internet, you kids don't know you're born etc.

We got to the gig and since my Mum has a trick knee we were sat right at the back of some cavernous exhibition centre.
Travis were so ... there was energy, there was crowd interaction, there was love and all three of us had a wonderful time.
Oasis, by contrast, were really cold. The music was good and we had a great time, don't get me wrong... but they seemed really shy or as if they were trying to play through plexiglass.

I think a lot of people came to like Travis the same way but it was not until they played my university and I went with a girl (who had written a fanzine about them *and* appeared on the Good Feeling collage album insert), that I was properly hooked. Ahhh. To be young again ;)

yulen10
yulen10 Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 9:27 AM Quote
The first time I saw them was in June 2007 in Barcelona. I loved them since I knew them with The Invisible Band.
I could get first row in front of Andy & I liked a lot how he moved without stopping the whole gig.
They began with Selfish Jean.. It was very good, but the highlits for me where the songs I had loved for years before such as Writing to reach you, Turn, Sing, Side, Pipe Dreams, As you are, Why does it always rain on me, etc..
I have to mention Battleships, that emotioned me. It was my favourite of TBWNN & they played it. Beautiful.... Also it was very beautiful MY EYES..
I can´t remember if they played The Humpty Dumpty love song, I´m sure they did it in my third gig.

That´s all :)

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 1:51 PM Quote
First time I saw them was during the fall/winter '07 tour for TBWNN. at the Centre for Performing Arts. I had listened to them for years on in before, so naturally when I found out they were coming I was overjoyed. The venue was a bit..... grand, I suppose. It was designed for theatre so it wasn't the best for a concert. But that didn't take away an ounce of the band's performance. Fran mentioned the time he was there he felt like he had to do ballet. Or something.

They did play some great songs though - Humpty Dumpty, Good Feeling, and Fran's mic-less acoustic version of "20". I cried the first time he played that. It was a great night.

Of course, I saw them the following night in Seattle, and that was just as superb, if not better. =)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 2:52 PM Quote
warfield ( 04 ?) i had missed a bunch of chances to see them before

winatel
winatel Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 3:04 PM Quote
My 1st Travis concert was
Pentaport rock festival, @ Incheon, Korea, 2008.07.26

It was first Travis gig in Korea. Right 2 months before that gig, I got to know Travis, and became a fan of travis..I think I was really lucky. If I had known Travis after that gig..?! it's terrible. I don't want to miss a single gig of Travis in Korea.

At the gig, Travis was headliner, and it was such a great night! I was in the front row. Fran was right in front of me!! and everthing was amazing. Everybody got hyper, sing-along was so loud that I got a sudden deafness after the show...but I got better after few weeks so whatever, and Some people even did slam when 'Selfish Jean' was played..

I can hardly listen to the bootleg of the night cos whenever I listen to that, I feel like I could die due to the heart attack.

I wanna go to Travis concert again..

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 3:04 PM Quote
Chicago 2009! Woohoo!

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Sat 02 May, 2009 3:17 PM Quote
Just about 2 months ago. Well, what should I talk about it? It was just FANTASTIC. Such a brilliant night.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:31 PM