Travis

Happy May Day!
mili
mili Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
The eve of first of May is a major drinking and behaving silly carnival here in Finland (especially for university students), and the following day is not much different. We're keeping our preteen and teen kids indoors for their safety, and I'm not tempetd to go to the center tonight…
How do you celebrate May 1st?

Re: Happy May Day!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:42 PM Quote
We don't celebrate anything May 1.

yulen10
yulen10 Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:44 PM Quote
In Spain is not celebrated. On May 1st there are only demonstrations around the country, specially in the big cities.
Have a good party!! :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:47 PM Quote
I didnt know May 1st was anything.
Im going to celebrate the end of April by getting to the bank after work and paying my taxes. BOOOO I've never owed before. Stupid government. Have you seen my paycheque?????

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:52 PM Quote
mili wrote:
The eve of first of May is a major drinking and behaving silly carnival here in Finland (especially for university students), and the following day is not much different. We're keeping our preteen and teen kids indoors for their safety, and I'm not tempetd to go to the center tonight…

Same thing here, but I'm just gonna have a beer or two and watch a movie :) Demonstration-day is tomorrow, if you're sober.

mili
mili Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 6:55 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
mili wrote:

Same thing here, but I'm just gonna have a beer or two and watch a movie :) Demonstration-day is tomorrow, if you're sober.

I'll be watching ER (last season) in a few minutes. Guess I'm old, then.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:06 PM Quote
Close to home
Less close to home

Dancing round the maypole sometimes happens in England but most people do nothing. For me, the festivities are May 8th - Flora Day - which is a huge celebration all day in our local town. It supposedly celebrates spring... and alcohol presumably :P

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:10 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

That looks similar to what we do!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We don't celebrate anything May 1.

I'm singing the International mazn

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:20 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

Dancing round the maypole sometimes happens in England

Like the SAFETY DANCE?????

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:33 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Have you seen my paycheque?????

Have you seen the way you spell check? hahahahaha!!

I've mentioned before that in high school I was an exchange student and live in Cologne, Germany for a year. On May Day (well really the eve of) boys secretly put a decorated tree in the yard of their beloved (or someone they liked).

And yes, an actual live tree. The ones I saw more looked like part of a larger tree they had sawed off but they were several feet tall and certainly seemed difficult to transport. My friends boyfriend went a little nuts and hers was as tall as their two-story house. They would put streamers, crepe paper, etc. in them.

The girl had one month to guess who did it. If she didn't, she owed the guy a case of beer. On the 31st we gathered on the Rhine River and threw them all in the water. Maybe some were burnt? I can't quite remember that part.

Edit: found a little blog about them http://english-speaking-cologne.blogspot.com/

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:52 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Listen here, funny money! That is how it is spelled. You are just obsessed with checking.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:04 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Listen here, funny money! That is how it is spelled. You are just obsessed with checking.

Crosschecking?

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:54 PM Quote
Happy May Day to all that celebrate it!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 01 May, 2009 4:35 AM Quote
the 28th was equal pay day for women , hope you ladies got your extra $ a hour

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:17 AM