Travis

Why did Fran lose the plot?
smilerjon
smilerjon Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:57 PM Quote
What was the full story behind Fran losing the plot at last nights gig at the House of Blues in Boston? I heard it was a bit of soccer banter that Fran took exception to and had the offenders evicted?

Re: Why did Fran lose the plot?
sallycc
sallycc Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 4:19 AM Quote
hmm...i was fairly close to the stage last night and from what i gathered, those morons decided to spoil the show by exercising their freedom of speech (i believe it was religion-related?) in an offensive manner (hence comes fran's remark about "catholic, christian... who cares..."

i could be wrong though...anyone else wanna share what they saw/heard?

peace :)

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:46 AM Quote
I am with the church of the flying spaghetti monster.....

=D

missmoo
missmoo Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 2:54 PM Quote
sallycc wrote:
hmm...i was fairly close to the stage last night and from what i gathered, those morons decided to spoil the show by exercising their freedom of speech (i believe it was religion-related?) in an offensive manner (hence comes fran's remark about "catholic, christian... who cares..."

i could be wrong though...anyone else wanna share what they saw/heard?

peace :)

I wasn't there so don't know but I agree with Fran.."who gives a ****"!

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:30 PM Quote
smilerjon wrote:
What was the full story behind Fran losing the plot at last nights gig at the House of Blues in Boston? I heard it was a bit of soccer banter that Fran took exception to and had the offenders evicted?

Again idiot it was not banter... the fact that you have never logged on before until April 27th and that you think that he would take offense at "banter" makes me think you know exactly what happened because you were there, you know it was not "banter", and you participated. You are a complete idiot!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:45 PM Quote
What'z this fuzz all 'bout? :S

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:47 PM Quote
emmahealy wrote:
smilerjon wrote:

Again idiot it was not banter... the fact that you have never logged on before until April 27th and that you think that he would take offense at "banter" makes me think you know exactly what happened because you were there, you know it was not "banter", and you participated. You are a complete idiot!

Tad bit harsh, he was just asking a question, and you have no evidence that he was one of those evicted or whatever.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 2:10 AM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
emmahealy wrote:
smilerjon wrote:

Tad bit harsh, he was just asking a question, and you have no evidence that he was one of those evicted or whatever.

There is no direct evidence, but if you check out the Boston gig in the Tour Archive, smilerjon makes a rude comment directed at Fran. I suppose emmahealy was just putting two and two together...

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 7:01 AM Quote
I was front row and one of the losers was behind me. What happened was, these four college-aged drunk idiots holding beers elbowed their way up to second row center during Sing. They were pretty into the song, and when it ended they started chanting something and pointing and laughing at Dougie. I had no idea what they were saying, but I assumed it was football-related and they were Scottish, so they had thick accents. Fran went into Falling Down and into the audience; etc., on his way back, the four guys tried to yell things at him but there was too much noise and cheering so I don't think Fran heard a thing, he just smiled at them. When he got back to the stage, he started the introduction about My Eyes as these idiots began chanting and pointing and laughing at Dougie again. Fran was getting annoyed; he wanted to tell the story about My Eyes but these losers were so close to the front and right there that he couldn't talk over them. So he said something like, Why are you here? No one even likes football here. Dougie does, but me and Andy and Neil, we don't care. If you want to ruin things and behave like that, why don't you go across the street? (Fenway is across the street and there was a Red Sox game on). Anyway, the jackasses began chanting and pointing and laughing at FRAN now, and Fran is getting very very annoyed. I think at this point, he very quickly finishes the My Eyes story and they go into the song. As soon as it ends, the four dumbasses start up again, but at this point they began chanting something about Rangers? to which Fran says "What you guys are talking about is from 30 years ago, this is the 21st century, man. Catholics, Protestants, we all live in peace now." but these four idiots are still chanting at Fran and laughing at him, and Fran says something like "you're like those guys who used to beat me up in school" and these four guys cheer and seem really happy that they're getting a rise out of Fran. Fran also said something about how they were a disgrace to the country, etc. Then Fran loses it a bit and tells them to get out; he calls at Ian to help. But there were no guards up front and this was about two songs from the encore, and one came. Fran skips the introduction about Friends and is completely glares at these asses during Turn; he basically is so mad that he won't even look at the audience and when he does.. man, if looks could kill, those four would have died on the spot. Once Turn is over, he doesn't strum the last chords to the audience; he turns his back and leaves the stage immediately. There was a longer wait for the band to come back on; during that time, two guards come to the front and finally a 3rd guard stands on a stoop in front of us obviously looking for the culprits, who have stopped cheering but are still there. A bouncer made his way to the 2nd row center, and the whole front row turns around and points to the four jackasses and basically curses them out. And then they're led away, even though they're protesting about why they're being taken away. When they leave of course, everyone cheers.

While they are being led away, Fran has returned to the stage solo. He didn't look at the audience until after the punters have gone. Then he goes into 20. He doesn't talk about what had happened, but after 20, he was being handed his electric guitar but he shook his head, and instead the band does into WDIAROM. They end with Flowers, and bring the Republic Tigers and the roadies onto stage to sing together.

I found out later that the original encore was supposed to be The Cage, Good Feeling, WDIAROM and Flowers. I was absolutely furious that 1. the four asswipes ruined the last half of the show and made their US tour end on a bad note, and 2. they RUINED the encore!

And also 3. while the assholes were being obnoxious and cheering that they got Fran mad, they were jumping and spilled beer all over my dress and most of the front row.

Complete asswipes and I have no idea why they paid money to heckle the band. They obviously knew the songs and were there to see Travis but what the hell is the matter with them?

After the show, my friend and I spoke to Andy and asked what they were saying, and Andy said it was something racist and that if they had said it in the UK, the whole audience would have beaten them down.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 7:10 AM Quote
Thanks for the story Amanda. That was rather unfortunate. =(

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 7:48 AM Quote
i think the four assholes were singing something that had to do with the rangers vs. the celtics and this. it sounded like chanting to me, but now that i think about it, it was probably a song.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:09 AM Quote
Thank you Amanda for clearing it out!

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:14 AM Quote
yah..thats pretty bad..but I understnad Fran's reaction. I mean he has no chance to go backstage and take a few minutes to calm down - so I can understand he wants to end the concert quickly..

but it's pretty sad for the audience and also for the band.

Total idiots..these people...maybe Fran shouldn't have reacted to them but let them throw out earlier - maybe it could have saved something...but well...

This is really sad... :(

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:53 AM Quote
Very sad to see that going on in somewhere as far away as Boston.
Thats something that hasn't even happened at any of the Glasgow gigs, where you might expect it.

Just goes to show you , there are Neanderthals everywhere.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:14 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

Just goes to show you , there are Neanderthals everywhere.

Haha that's a good way of describing it! :)

Respect to Fran!

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:42 PM