Travis

Re: What do you like especially about a Travis song? Highlig
Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:01 AM Quote
I agree with those who say that WTRY (and I add) Chinese Blues are perfect examples of how they're great at setting the mood for the rest of the song with the first chords and beats of an intro...

Then, I also value the way inwhich each instrument is never overshadowed, they all unite in perfect harmony (J. Smith, Selfish Jean, HTHA, Turn, to name a few)...or when for instance Fran's voice takes off and the bass and the guitar follow in a climax, an explosion you know is coming but when it happens you hold your breath and are blown away all the same...wow, it's like feeling all the pieces falling into the right places.

Blue Flashing light, I feel it in my bones, it's like having all my senses awaken and the emotion they release hits me over and over again until the end of the song. They accomplish an equilibium which is difficult to maintain all through a song.

I'm attracted to those sounds that at first seem hidden in the back of a song, sometimes it's the piano, so subtle yet fundamental to close the circle and give meaning to what you're listening to..

Therefore, OTJS was a nice surprise, I feel that there're moments where the instruments take over. LWD and BYWY are complete opposites but have the same impact on me when I'm listening to the record with my earphones, whether it is a guitar at its highest power or the sweet melody of a piano...
And who doesn't like the harmonica in Colder or the banjo in FITW? They all fit with absolute perfection and bring a special touch to the songs, making them magnificent and leaving a truly distinctive mark, a Travis signature :)

(Hope I've made at least a bit of sense..)

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:03 AM Quote
It totally made sense - to me at least.

I really love the 2nd verse in Closer - where the "echo" comes in...That's my fav. part in that song....I could make a endless repeat of that part....

Nell
Nell Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:38 PM Quote

I were listening again to "under the moonligh" and I totally fell in love with the verses. Especiall the second one - where Fran goes to that very high note in "into the horizon" ...and I love his little laugh when he comes down in "where the ocean meets the sky"...

And the bassline - I really like here.

Also in Battleships: i like the 2 backing vocals in the chorus (thank God Dougie does one of it onstage) and the bv in the second verse...

alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 6:16 PM Quote
Describe every song would take too much (and I'm a zero about musical knowledge and all that stuff) I agree with everything you said here.

I just wanna stand out the background sounds in 'Last Train' (I have no idea how describe it haha) and the Fran's voice at the beggining of 'Humpty dumpty...' OMG both are incredibles.

Ana_Smith wrote:

Blue Flashing light, I feel it in my bones

Oooh Ana! I can't be more agree with you :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 06 May, 2009 1:29 PM Quote
I love the bass-line in Blue On A Black Weekend, great job Dougie! :)

turner150990
turner150990 Posted Wed 06 May, 2009 3:04 PM Quote
fran is the man! 1of the best vocalist around
the fear is a good song, don't know if its the bass or not,
follow the light as well, the rythm of the 2guitars is awesome

damon
damon Posted Wed 06 May, 2009 4:26 PM Quote
i love indefinetly....
the rhythm, the voice.... and drives me crazy the andy's arregments at 1:02... and then the ebow sound at 1:45...

but, my favourite travis ever is as you are solo:
the way it drives you from a picking guitar, then the fade in-outs parts... until the crazy and hyper distorsion !!!

lovely !

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 06 May, 2009 7:00 PM Quote
turner150990 wrote:

I love love the guitar in Follow the light - also the chorus

Nell
Nell Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 9:51 AM Quote

A little bit of soul: Besides the brilliant melody that seems to stay in my head...:

The instrumental part (especially the lead guitar) @ minute: 1:37!!! Amazing - simple but STRONG

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 5:15 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
turner150990 wrote:

I love love the guitar in Follow the light - also the chorus

I love that the bassline is completely different to the lead guitar, you can choose which one you want to listen to ;)

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 19 Jun, 2009 2:53 PM Quote

Say Hello: I love that B-Side :)
I really really love the echo-part!
Especially where Dougie sings "work it out" Been listening to it like 40 time today...
It's so peacuful..so sweet, and such a fine melody :)

Tail of the Tiger: Love the verses rather then the chorus!!!!!!! I mean really really love!!
: Especially the second one

"Looks like the weels
just keep on spinning
So pour me a drink
while we are WINNING (here...)
..."

The rythm's very special!

And the part "ans it is - so far..." Is amazing! And the guitar setting in afterwards...

Batlleships:

Love the verses! In the very first verse: Fran goes a slides a bit down with his voice ...at the second time singing "when will you carry me home"

In the part: "Cos when you talk to me that way" - Andy plays and F instead of an E while playing the C-Chord. (Csus4) Which sounds fantastic! He doesn't repeat that though - :(

And I love the backing vocals in that "Cos when"..part - 2-3 voices - brilliant!

The chord suite is simple but strong!

The only thing I don't really like is the intro as well as the middle part - but the bassline is quite strong there - so it's cool again :)

Mind: The BV and the bassline in the Chorus is brilliant!

The lyrics are as well ...haha used them once to make my point :) very helpful..

....and I'm drifting to be a freak again..

sorry for that..you may laugh now:

:)

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 19 Jun, 2009 4:14 PM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:

Blue Flashing light, I feel it in my bones, it's like having all my senses awaken and the emotion they release hits me over and over again until the end of the song. They accomplish an equilibium which is difficult to maintain all through a song.

Agree Ana! There is a rawness about this song which makes every nerve stand on end ...... and yet there's a softness which you feel as a sort of delayed reaction. Very hard to explain (you did a better job of it than me, haha)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 7:04 AM