Travis

WRNR Showcase in MD anyone?
hburke21
hburke21 Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:44 PM Quote
Hi guys! I won tickets to the WRNR Travis Private Artist Showcase in Annapolis MD for tomorrow afternoon, YAY! So excited!!!
I was wondering if anyone else was going and if anyone from that area could tell me a bit more about it. I am coming from Philly and just want to know what to expect :)
Couldn't think of a better reason to take a "sick" day!

Re: WRNR Showcase in MD anyone?
cornax
cornax Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 1:06 PM Quote
I'll be there! And I was there last year, too. : ) This year will be a little different bc it's just Fran and Andy but the venue is delightful. Intimate, with tables set up all around. I'm guessing that they'll come out and do maybe 4-5 songs with a dj asking them questions in between like an interview.

There's a parking garage around the corner on Calvert St. (go past the venue, which will be on your left, and make a right on Calvert). Street parking is very difficult although maybe not during a recession!

hburke21
hburke21 Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 1:18 PM Quote
Nice!!! Thanks SO much for the info. My sister-in-law and I are so pumped! Looks like we have a 2 hour drive ahead of us, totally worth it!
Do they allow cameras and stuff?

cornax
cornax Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 1:37 PM Quote
Cameras were fine last time. In fact, we waited around afterwards last year and the band came out for pictures and signing (although I have no idea of their schedule, of course, so certainly no guarantees).

hburke21
hburke21 Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 2:08 PM Quote
Perfect! I hope they do have time, that would be wonderful!
See you there!!!

smithwicks
smithwicks Posted Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:26 PM Quote
Hey,
I'm also doing the double tomorrow (Rams Head and 9:30)

What time do we start lining up to get in. I think I remember DJ Alex Cortright saying 11:45 but I don't recall. Very excited

cornax
cornax Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 1:11 AM Quote
That sounds about right. I think I was told to be there "for 12:00". So I'm guessing that means when they open the doors.

Phyxius
Phyxius Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 4:13 AM Quote
Oh man, I didn't know about the thing at Ram's Head. I work literally 10 mins from there. Is there anyway to still get in to this? I'm coming to the concert, but you can never have too much Travis. Have fun guys!

cornax
cornax Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 12:45 PM Quote
Try calling the radio station at 410 269 1031 to see if they have any spots left. Couldn't hurt!

cornax
cornax Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 8:42 PM Quote
Well that was a delightful little Frandy show on a beautiful, sunny afternoon in Annapolis. I signed the 11 year old out of school ("cultural arts event" dontcha know) and we snagged a table with a good view. Even though I was 100% positive that I'd have no problem memorizing a short setlist I may not get this right:

Pipe Dreams
Friends (yay!)
Driftwood
Out In Space (first time played live said Fran)
Closer
Falling Down (with Andy playing on the resident baby grand piano despite no practice)
Sing

Hmmm...I think that's right actually. Then we waited around while they ate their lunch to get the child's poster (collage of photos of her with the band from the last time they did one of these gigs here nearly 2 years ago) signed. They couldn't have been lovelier or more gracious and engaging. Andy even wrote "Great to see you again!" She couldn't believe he remembered her (I didn't point out that the photo of them together may have tipped him off).

One of the best parts is that on the way home she said, "I think I'll start practicing my guitar again." Ahhhhh...inspiration!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 3:05 AM Quote
It's great you had such a good time :o). Oh, and the played Friends and Out In Space, I'd really love to hear that ones live... Do you think someone was able to get a record of it? *fingers crossed*

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 3:45 AM Quote
cornax wrote:
I signed the 11 year old out of school ("cultural arts event" dontcha know)
Haha, that's so cool!!

cornax wrote:
Pipe Dreams
Friends (yay!)
Driftwood
Closer
Falling Down (with Andy playing on the resident baby grand piano despite no practice)
Sing

You're so lucky!! Friends, Out in space and a special Falling Down, not bad at all...

cornax wrote:
Andy even wrote "Great to see you again!" She couldn't believe he remembered her (I didn't point out that the photo of them together may have tipped him off).

A lovely guy, indeed :) Oh, but don't you dare tell her!
I also expect some videos to appear online, wouldn't hurt to see a little Frandy in action..

grace
grace Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 7:49 AM Quote
cornax wrote:
Well that was a delightful little Frandy show on a beautiful, sunny afternoon in Annapolis. I signed the 11 year old out of school ("cultural arts event" dontcha know) and we snagged a table with a good view. Even though I was 100% positive that I'd have no problem memorizing a short setlist I may not get this right:

Pipe Dreams
Friends (yay!)
Driftwood
Closer
Sing

Hmmm...I think that's right actually.

that's right and in the right order too :) falling down is already lovely but the baby grand definitely made it extra special. i love the sound of a piano played live. i'm so used to seeing andy rocking out on guitar and i never suspected i'd ever see him sitting at a piano.

man, i wish my mom was that cool when i was younger. the parents from california w/ their 5 year old son almost killed me w/ cuteness/awesomeness.

hburke21
hburke21 Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:59 PM Quote
Yay! Wonderful time, and what a beautiful drive down from Philly yesterday too. The weather couldn't have been nicer! What a GREAT set by Fran and Andy, I loved every second. How cute was it when Fran gave the little boy from CA his guitar pick, love it. We hung around afterward for a while, talked to the fam from CA (awesome people, and I too wished my parents were that cool when I was small). Met Fran and Andy, got pics, etc. They are such nice guys! Oh, and beautiful city too, my first time in Annapolis.
Going to the TLA tonight to catch the Travis show there, can't wait, what a GREAT week!!!

TheFourJs
TheFourJs Posted Sat 09 May, 2009 9:12 AM Quote
Hi. It's the family from California!

We had a great time at the WRNR Showcase! Bob Waugh and the radio station really made a big deal about us traveling from L.A. to Annapolis and really made us feel special. For us, it was well worth the trip to see Fran and Andy perform in such an intimate setting and to meet the guys. It was a really amazing experience! And to talk with such nice people at the show was an added bonus! Thank you all for being so nice! And, thank you Grace for taking such a great picture of us!!

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=533922007/PictureID=16632640007/a=76996047_76996047/t_=76996047

Here is another cool picture of the guys hanging out with my son Justin (It looks like they were missing their own boys.):

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=533922007/PictureID=16633791007/a=76996047_76996047/t_=76996047

Fran – If you happen to read this…Thanks so much for giving Justin your guitar pick! It will be a lasting souvenir of such a special event in our lives! And, I will never forget the image of you waving goodbye to us as your tourbus pulled away. That was really cute and sweet of you! You guys truly are genuine! And, here is the link to the ‘Song to Self’ video that I told you about. We didn’t finish it in time for the fan video, but we had fun making it anyway. Justin is really cute in it and not as shy as he is in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBJTNn9gjA

All our best,
The Four Js
(James, Juddy, Justin & Jameson)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:47 PM