Travis For Ilegal Download Campain
Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 1:26 PM Quote
[url=]http://www.nme.com/news/nme/43403[/url]

Good to see the boys amoung the people supportin this

Re: Travis For Ilegal Download Campain
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 2:06 PM Quote
I really think that the new bills and the witch-hunt of illegal downloaders are ridiculous! Personally I would support a deal that gives you free access to the world of music for a monthly fee or something. Spotify is a great example of this, but still the record companies are being greedy and are not willing to give away the rights for their music.
If the people of the music industry could collaborate and come up with a modern solution that would fit the music-listeners of today instead of putting restrictions everywhere, it would suit everyone... I don't think that bills will increase the record sales anyway cause the problem is a matter of technology-revolution actually.

Do this instead:

* Introduce monthly fee's for fre access to music online.
* Increase the amount of tracks being avaible for digital download (I know I-tunes has pretty much everything, but I would rather see an easier way of downloading tracks that's avaible for everyone. Let the online stores focus on selling digital products instead of putting cd's on sale all of the time. CD's will soon be unmodern as we live in a digital world now)
* Punish the people who upload cupyrighted material instead of those who're downloading it.

I'm really dying for a modern solution for this!
It could be so easy if everyone could come to an agreement that would serve all parts involved. I really think people are willing to pay for the music they like, don't you?
If there were free acess to music and a monthly fee that would be divided equally(or something) between the largest record companies and an easier way of buying music digitally, then everyone would be happy in the end :)

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 3:15 PM Quote

I just think a CD costs too much - I know it's a lot of work to make a record and it costs a fortune - I'm totally aware of that - that's why I do buy CDs from artists I really like.

But to spend about 17 £ / 22 € or 32 SFr. for a record is too much for me as student (I mean: I love Travis: 7 records, I like Beatles, Amy McDonald, Killers etc.)

And about the singles: f.i: The B-Sides: So you buy for instance the single "My eyes" and get 1 B-Side but for the other you gotta buy the same single again - just for 1 song - witch is another 10€ (at least here: Zurich!)
(And stores keep telling me they don't sell LPs anymore! WTF!)

Anyway...see the point?

I really do wanna support the artists - and whenever I see a single from them I buy them (I really want have them) but I can't order all these singles in - nor buy all the singles from all those other artists.....

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 4:05 PM Quote
I don't think music should be free. Next we'll be saying it's human rights to have food and we'll be wanting 3 course meals for nothing. Why should we get music for free when we have to pay for everything else? Are people going to expect films for nothing? I'm off to New York later in the year. I was worried about the cost but apparently it's going to be free, so that's ok.

Also, a download is soulless. I buy my CDs from Play.com. A lot of the time it's cheaper than a legal download. Got Amy Macdonald CD for £5 recently. Point being, downloads need to be cheaper. I will continue to buy CDs though for my albums. B-sides is different, I get them from iTunes.

martina
martina Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 4:29 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't think music should be free. Next we'll be saying it's human rights to have food and we'll be wanting 3 course meals for nothing. Why should we get music for free when we have to pay for everything else? Are people going to expect films for nothing? I'm off to New York later in the year. I was worried about the cost but apparently it's going to be free, so that's ok.

Also, a download is soulless. I buy my CDs from Play.com. A lot of the time it's cheaper than a legal download. Got Amy Macdonald CD for £5 recently. Point being, downloads need to be cheaper. I will continue to buy CDs though for my albums. B-sides is different, I get them from iTunes.

I find downloads soulless too... had to download the new album by Starsailor as it hsan't been released in Italy yet, I miss having a CD in my collection. But I also think CDs are still a little overpriced - at least in Italian shops. I only buy two or three a year now.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 4:44 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

No not completely free, but something like Spotify(repeating myself over and over again ;)) would be nice. You pay about 10£ per months and the record companies involved all get their share based on which tracks you chose to play. And if you really like something there could be a direct link to buy the track digitally.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:16 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

No not completely free, but something like Spotify(repeating myself over and over again ;)) would be nice. You pay about 10£ per months and the record companies involved all get their share based on which tracks you chose to play. And if you really like something there could be a direct link to buy the track digitally.

ya but with spotify you can only listen to the songs - but not own them , as I understand, right?

So I can't download them - put them on my giangt cool creative-player and take'em with me wherever I go? :..

That's not quite the same ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:20 AM Quote
Alex, so you pay £10 a month... and you don't even get the songs. You have to pay to download them still. Probably at a price too. I said i bought from iTunes and that's true, i used to. I download from 7Digital or even Play.com now. But that's only for b-sides. I buy proper albums on CDs. It's just a personal thing, i like to have the CD. I'm a geek.

DANIBLU3001
DANIBLU3001 Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 4:43 AM Quote
I wanna buy the Last album Ode to J Smith but i can't find here to import is very expensive and is not fair to pay for a album more than four or 15 times the original price to compared with others.
MP3 is good and the same time is bad, good because you find news artits and don't need to watch MTV and listen to radio to see the same songs that they choose to you to listen, is a powerful tool for bands for marketing for fans to share songs and show for friends for free.
The bad side is for bands, the money, record industry... i'ts time to think to find the new ways cos this will never stop and is not today that this happens since the K-7 and VHS... the industry don't wanna sells albuns for a good price and left the band to do more shows. Compare de sells albums from 80's to today the trend is falling more and more. But I prefer to buy when i can.
*sorry for my english

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 9:52 AM Quote
Spotify is a step forward because you can try before you buy and listen to odd songs that you like for free. A flat fee for unlimited downloads would never work because some people want to download 5 albums a year and some people want one every other day. You should have to pay, though if the band decide otherwise then it should be their choice.

Loubsi
Loubsi Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:27 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I download from 7Digital or even Play.com now. But that's only for b-sides. I buy proper albums on CDs. It's just a personal thing, i like to have the CD. I'm a geek.

The same for me. ;)
Honestly, in France, the CD is one of the very few things that have not become more expensive since the change to euro: a "normal" album (no deluxe or bonus edition or whatever) is around 15€ but I understand that it's expensive for many people and I'm in this case myself.

But 10 years ago, when I didn't have money for a CD, I wouln't steal it! I would say "next month" or "next time"; now everybody wants everything NOW!! And I know people who have thousands of songs in their computers (illegally downloaded, of course) and they don't listen to half of them!
I'm no expert, I suppose the problem is more complex and I can only speak for France (where stealing or cheating when it's not really punishable in practice is often considered as normal... yes, it must be in our genes really, I admit that!) but basically, when you work you prefer being paid, don't you? I do!

Legal download is a good solution: you can have one song for one euro (once again in France) and do you know we don't have a ticket for the bus at this price? So if artists do well out of this deal, it really works for me.
Some artists agree with the fact of giving their music totally for free? Good for them. But I don't know if it's a good solution to say "Go get it for free, I really don't care!" And I'm not sure that procecuting people for illegally downloading is a good solution either.

The more I think about it, the more it seems inextricable to me!! Professionals have to rethink the way they work but people really have to rethink the way they buy anyway.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 3:03 PM Quote
Safe Side wrote:
http://www.nme.com/news/nme/43403

Good to see the boys amoung the people supportin this

Travis frontman Fran Healy said: "As money has been drained out of the record business and the record companies have panicked, it has all got very confusing."

Actually, I think music is very cheap. What else is there that costs £10 that you can cherish forever?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 5:46 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Spotify is a step forward because you can try before you buy and listen to odd songs that you like for free. A flat fee for unlimited downloads would never work because some people want to download 5 albums a year and some people want one every other day. You should have to pay, though if the band decide otherwise then it should be their choice.

Yeah it's like having your very own customized radio-station ;)

I enjoy having CD's too, at least from my favourite bands. I still think that there should be a lot more digital downloads out there. As I'm pretty new at this, how does I-tunes work? Do I have to have an I-pod or something to use it? Can I download the program, download a song that I can't find anywhere else and then delete the program and still have the song saved on my computer?

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:37 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I enjoy having CD's too, at least from my favourite bands. I still think that there should be a lot more digital downloads out there. As I'm pretty new at this, how does I-tunes work? Do I have to have an I-pod or something to use it? Can I download the program, download a song that I can't find anywhere else and then delete the program and still have the song saved on my computer?

iTunes uses the .aac file format which is compatible with your Zen X-Fi and some programs like realplayer, but not others like Windows Media Player. It's easier to download the program and leave it installed on your computer, then you can definitely play back the files and download the weekly free track (that's what I do :)), but you could uninstall it without removing your new tracks, especially if they're on your mp3 player too.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:56 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

iTunes uses the .aac file format which is compatible with your Zen X-Fi and some programs like realplayer, but not others like Windows Media Player. It's easier to download the program and leave it installed on your computer, then you can definitely play back the files and download the weekly free track (that's what I do :)), but you could uninstall it without removing your new tracks, especially if they're on your mp3 player too.

Thanks for clearing it out James, really appreciate it =)
I might give I-tunes a try, that stuff about a weekly free track sounds nice :)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:06 PM