Travis

Fleet Foxes
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:55 PM Quote
I've heard a few people (musico's and mag's) going on about this band for a while now, I've also heard a few tracks and I've been racking my brain trying to think who do they remind me of with the harmonies and the mellow vocal folky style, I've just seen them on BBC2's Culture Show...

It's the fucking Beach Boys isn't it??

Dubz

Re: Fleet Foxes
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:23 AM Quote
Allow me to reintroduce this thread.

But yeah, I've always thought they sounded like Beach Boys by way of Seattle.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:36 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Allow me to reintroduce this thread.

But yeah, I've always thought they sounded like Beach Boys by way of Seattle.

I know I really should pay more attention to more new music, I had a feeling someone had mentioned them on the board before. Then they started showing up on all these best of 2008 lists around November/December. I just couldn't place the sound until tonight, it's not just The Beach Boys, there's a certain amount of Neil Young/Eagles stuff in there too but it's mostly the Beachy boys.

Dubz

ps. Glad you agree, means I'm not going mental.... just yet

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:42 AM Quote
They have this Northwestern Pacific "thing" that I can't name. I'll just call it Alt-folk. I lump 'em together with Band of Horses, Blitzen Trapper (they're in town tonight! Maybe I should go to the show.), My Morning Jacket (MMJ is more gritty), and one of mine and Dak's favorites from last year, Okkervil River (Austin represent Anne!).

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:47 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I've been racking my brain trying to think who do they remind me of with the harmonies and the mellow vocal folky style

It's the fucking Beach Boys isn't it??

Dubz

Yeah Dubz!Their harmonies esp..I've read that one of their major influences are the Beach Boys;)

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:17 AM Quote
ah, that was a nice thread. I enjoyed re-reading that.

Can highly recommend Okkervil River. "Unless it Kicks" is one of my favourite songs of the moment. I'm very glad Lauren pointed me in their direction.

Dubz, they use Beach Boys harmonies yes, but I wish you'd stop writing off bands because you feel they're too derivative. You're really closing yourself off to some good new music. Fleet Foxes are a really valid, really tuneful and melodic band. Putting everything to one side, can you not just let the rythmn / melody / lyrics / etc hit you, in whatever order you want and then just enjoy from there? Put all preconceptions to the side and appreciate the songs for what they are.

I mean, you realise there was music before the Beach Boys, right? They just took their inspiration from rock and roll standards and added doo wop to it. Apparently according to wikipedia this makes it baroque & roll. Rock and roll took its inspiration from blues, etc, etc. I mean how far do you want to go back before you consider something truly 'original'?! Just relax mazn.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:42 AM Quote

Haha, now you have preconceptions of me ;-p

I didn't say it was bad, or a rip off, just that it reminded me of the Beach Boys. Listening to them last night was quite pleasant but I find them a bit to "soft" for my liking, that said maybe on further listening they'll grow on me. I do intend to find out

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:15 PM Quote
I am totally digging this band right now. I love the retro sound. Juli, were you ever able to find the Fleet Foxes' album in Argentina?!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:43 PM Quote
Saw them supporting Elbow last year, and they were good. Apparently the album is more of a grower than an easy listen. It's on my wishlist for my birthday! (2 months to go, but hopeful!!!)

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Haha, now you have preconceptions of me ;-p

I didn't say it was bad, or a rip off, just that it reminded me of the Beach Boys. Listening to them last night was quite pleasant but I find them a bit to "soft" for my liking, that said maybe on further listening they'll grow on me. I do intend to find out

Dubz

Ah sorry Dubz, I thought after reading your earlier thread about there being no original music these days, you were passing Fleet Foxes off as a cheap Beach Boys pastiche. i'm glad you're enjoying them then!

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 1:01 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

I did too. Mostly because you were completely shit faced for most of your posts. :o)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 1:04 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Moray wrote:

I did too. Mostly because you were completely shit faced for most of your posts. :o)

LOL

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 1:15 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Moray wrote:

haha, yeah, I was trying to gloss over that! Some of it was quite cringeworthy!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:45 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Ah sorry Dubz, I thought after reading your earlier thread about there being no original music these days, you were passing Fleet Foxes off as a cheap Beach Boys pastiche. i'm glad you're enjoying them then!

No worries maZn, I may still come back full of bile and vitriol if I decide I don't like 'em. ;-p I doubt it though

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 12:24 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I am totally digging this band right now. I love the retro sound. Juli, were you ever able to find the Fleet Foxes' album in Argentina?!

Oh, I just answered this in a PM xD. I couldn't get it, but I'm not giving up until I've visited some dark indie shops down Corrientes street :oP.

Nikki recently introduced me to Fleet Foxes' music. I really like it! Beautiful harmonies, and nice vibe. My favourite song so far is English House :o)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:44 AM