Travis

SXSW
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 7:46 PM Quote

Industry folk will soon descend upon Austin again.

I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing. It's just gotten more and more commercial. The wrist bands are more and more expensive and it used to be if you had one you could get in anywhere no problem. Now industry folk (who get a different color wristband) get priority so who knows if you'll get in.

Also the people walking around get on my nerves. They are trying so hard to look too cool for school. If you are too cool for Austin, why exactly are you here?

But...there is at least one act I really want to catch

Steve Burns

That's right ladies!! Steve from Blue's Clues is playing a show here! I know several of us admitted a crush on him. Don't deny it.

(SXSW = South by Southwest Festival. Used to be just music, now it's music, film, and interactive <-- has to do with creative technology SXSW )

Re: SXSW
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:51 PM Quote
I've always wanted to go, but it seems like it's Hipster hell. I don't do Hipsters... and it seems like in recent years it's more about schmoozing then seeing the talent. And it looks really expensive...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 9:19 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
I've always wanted to go, but it seems like it's Hipster hell. I don't do Hipsters... and it seems like in recent years it's more about schmoozing then seeing the talent. And it looks really expensive...

Every sentence is 110% correct. Austin usually doesn't have a lot of hipsters and then poof! suddenly they are everywhere. And they seem so miserable when you know that they did everything in their power to get here. Only to walk around acting as if they are too good for this scene.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 9:37 PM Quote
I know Graham Coxon is gonna be there this year, which would be enough for me (except of course for the fact that I live nowhere near Austin, or even in America). I'm not even going to Oxygen this year though, I'll be out of the country :(

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 10:13 PM Quote
...and you have to get a hotel and what not, and there's a monopoly, so the prices go up. If I make there someday I need a friend to stay with (Anne!). It just seems like a giant clusterfuck... with Hispters. So then it's ten times worse. But it's a great opportunity to see a bunch of different bands.

It goes on for the whole week, right?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 11:25 PM Quote
this would be cool to attend .

http://www.americanposterinstitute.com/flatstock/

I would if I lived in Austin, TRAVIS County Texas

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sun 15 Mar, 2009 3:38 AM Quote
Is this really what it costs to go to SXSW? If so then no way jose. The cheapest wristband is $695!!! Ridiculous!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:52 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Is this really what it costs to go to SXSW? If so then no way jose. The cheapest wristband is $695!!! Ridiculous!

Sadly that is for real. Most people I know who go volunteer because then you get a wrist band for free.

The cost is why it's become more and more of an industry thing. What normal person can afford that? Especially knowing you might not get into shows since industry people with the special wrist band get top priority??

bombus
bombus Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 9:43 PM Quote
I just got back, actually the $600 + is the industry badge price, the wrist band was $165 for non-locals I bought one, but really I shouldn't have because I probably only watched 2 or 3 official show cases, everything else I went to was free daytime bbqs and night parties. had a great time though, didn't do what I did last year trying to fill every hour with music, just went with the flow and enjoyed the energy of the city filled with music everywhere.

Weirdmom did you get out to see anything?

I saw the mae shi - 5 times
future of the left - twice,
pre - twice,
po po,
casio kids,
slow club,
thee ohsees,
the afternoons,
the lost brothers,
health...

I mostly went to see a bunch of noise bands, haha. was a great time though, honestly everyone should try it once. Austins a great city and if you like obscure new bands from afar SX is the best opportunity you have to see them all. But I think I'm getting too old for it, I just cant hang that well these days, it took me a good two days to recover this time.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:32 PM Quote
Yes, it is a ridiculous amount of money for a concert. There's a huge new festival on the west side of Michigan called Rothbury that started up last year. It's July 2-5 and I really wanted to go this year because Bob Dylan, Guster and Sam Roberts are going to be playing, but tickets are $250!!!!!! They're out of their miiiiindssss!

Oh! And a big time LOL @ Steve Burns from Blues Clues, Anne! I totally forgot about that whole thing!! :P He has quite the following here. Much like Ryan and his milk bags.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:05 PM Quote
uber FIAL on wired mom cause she didn't go to ROKY ..

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:03 PM Quote
bombus wrote:
But I think I'm getting too old for it, I just cant hang that well these days, it took me a good two days to recover this time.

Too old?! C'mon now! If you're too old, what am I? Never mind, don't answer. Good to see you're good :)

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:04 PM Quote
Flippin' double post

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:25 AM Quote
My Poli Sci T.A. said she just got back from it. And she went for free! Boooo!

bombus
bombus Posted Sat 28 Mar, 2009 1:30 AM Quote
carlottarocks wrote:
bombus wrote:
But I think I'm getting too old for it, I just cant hang that well these days, it took me a good two days to recover this time.

Too old?! C'mon now! If you're too old, what am I? Never mind, don't answer. Good to see you're good :)

yeah seriously first few nights i was complaining about how bad my back hurt... haha, man i just cant do it like i used to. but yeah i am well, this will be my last sx for a while. are you back in tx? i just bought myself a one way ticket to asia, im getting out of this place finally. well take care carlotta

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:41 PM