Aída Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:22 PM Quote

Re: Genesis - how it should be read
kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:38 PM Quote
Aída wrote:
sorry for the double posting, but I couldn't help it

kiwi wrote:
Nell wrote:

I already got "Simon Amstell" from the Genesis-thread...

haha, you're welcome! Good to know something good came out of that pointless thread

oh, I'd be flattered if you could suprise us all with a pointful matter, Kiwi. Feel free to start, coz:

1. I think this is one of the most interesting subjects being discussed in the phorum right now

and 2, weren't you talking about respect like...5 MINUTES AGO in one of this 'showing respect' threads?

Aída

Pot. Kettle, oh and Black. And I was being ever so slightly jokey... you know... ha ha?? That's what I was trying to do with the video I posted... and my first response to the 'most interesting thread.' It might be interesting, but it's also been talked about several times and is getting old.

I called it 'pointless' because, at the start, it was pretty much solely attacking specific beliefs. I personally believe opinions can be void unless presented from both sides. I don't think much of what I say has a point, but I wouldn't start a thread just to have a go at someone/something over a period of months and then disappear inbetween. I'd call that pointless, if not vindictive.

I don't like how you seem to make things personal, I put an opinion across, how is mine not as valid? Just because you don't agree with it. Don't make something horrible and personal out of what was a flippant comment by myself.

Aída
Aída Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:44 PM Quote

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:47 PM Quote
I completely agree with what Kiwi's said so far.

I was brought up catholic too, I even received my first communion. But I don't know why, I could never believe in the catholic god (or any other). I can't stand the higher ecclesiastical authorities. But I do believe in many moral values of catholicism.
I've also been to jewish and evangelist events, and I thought they were very interesting.
I think it's cool that people believe in whatever they want to believe, it's a very personal thing. Faith (not fanatic faith) really does help people get through stuff, it's something they can rely on.
So I'm ok as long as people don't try to convert me to their beliefs, since I don't try to force them to agree with me that god doesn't exist or whatever.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:51 PM Quote
Aída wrote:
fair enough, I'm sorry. Sometimes I find it hard to get the joking intention in a written statement.

Is it really getting old? I can't remember having posted on anything similar in the time I've been a member :S

anyway, how is it that you have had so many interesting religious experiences? travelling?

That's alright. I don't have a problem with you, and I know how I can come across (a little bit of a hypocrite...) I just don't like how people on here seem to just start on each other for no apparent reason instead of saying 'oh, you think that? well I don't, here's what I think' not 'i just laughed, how stupid is that, you are wrong' it's so unintelligent and pointless... I might think a topic is pointless (cos I'm a bit stupid) but I would never think someone's fundamentally wrong, or not entitled to say something.. I just have noticed in the long term (ie: a few months) this topic has come up, and it seems to be one person trying to force quite a strong opinion on a single topic and using borderline inflammatory language to get a reaction. I just think it sucks how those threads just keep on popping up out of nowhere. The topic is all good, just if it wasn't so in your face and biased. Man... I've typed a LOT today.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 3:53 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I completely agree with what Kiwi's said so far.

I was brought up catholic too, I even received my first communion. But I don't know why, I could never believe in the catholic god (or any other). I can't stand the higher ecclesiastical authorities. But I do believe in many moral values of catholicism.
I've also been to jewish and evangelist events, and I thought they were very interesting.
I think it's cool that people believe in whatever they want to believe, it's a very personal thing. Faith (not fanatic faith) really does help people get through stuff, it's something they can rely on.
So I'm ok as long as people don't try to convert me to their beliefs, since I don't try to force them to agree with me that god doesn't exist or whatever.

I strongly concur with what you've said haha. Evangilism belongs in the middle ages, methinks.
It's kind of... you don't mess with my business, I won't mess with yours (which is my major problem with this thread, apart from anything) however the resultant comments have been cool as.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 4:37 PM Quote
I'm honestly so confused about what the last ten or so threads were about or who they were referring, but just to pre-empt the liklihood of the part about someone going away for months and resuming a topic etc, I've already explained that its the entire point that this subject does NOT consume my life's thoughts that its few and far between and when something in my life reflects something previous. I told aida the reason for this one is I found an old report card from me religeous education teacher who asked the class to draw 7 boxes, each one represnting a day of genesis. I drew in pictture form more or less what I described here the other day and was punished for trying to take the mick, but I wasn't - I 100% genuinely found it so confusing and ridiculous, I had no other choice than to put what was literally there.

As for being vindictive and trying to force beliefs onto people, I've never tried, and never will try to do those things. I state an opinion on something I come across, if someone has a contrary opinion, thats great, but I think its only modern and civilised to give reasons for your opinion, then someone takes that as some sort of threat or argument. Its called a conversation, a discussion - discourse if you will - its not attacking anyone for any reason - its merely an interesting topic of conversation.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 5:19 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
I'm honestly so confused about what the last ten or so threads were about or who they were referring, but just to pre-empt the liklihood of the part about someone going away for months and resuming a topic etc, I've already explained that its the entire point that this subject does NOT consume my life's thoughts that its few and far between and when something in my life reflects something previous. I told aida the reason for this one is I found an old report card from me religeous education teacher who asked the class to draw 7 boxes, each one represnting a day of genesis. I drew in pictture form more or less what I described here the other day and was punished for trying to take the mick, but I wasn't - I 100% genuinely found it so confusing and ridiculous, I had no other choice than to put what was literally there.

As for being vindictive and trying to force beliefs onto people, I've never tried, and never will try to do those things. I state an opinion on something I come across, if someone has a contrary opinion, thats great, but I think its only modern and civilised to give reasons for your opinion, then someone takes that as some sort of threat or argument. Its called a conversation, a discussion - discourse if you will - its not attacking anyone for any reason - its merely an interesting topic of conversation.

You don't understand? Well everyone else seems to whether or not they agree, maybe you don't want to understand because obviously you don't agree and don't care. Or maybe it's an easy excuse to ignore any actual arguments.
I wonder why it seems to matter so much to you what other people think. It was nothing personal towards a specific person, none of this was. If you had problems at school, that's fine, everyone's personal experiences inform their opinions on life... hence so many opinions, but most people don't turn around and do exactly the same thing to other people... ie: purposefully seek to discredit peoples beliefs.

Quote:
God, you are a raving, narcissistic self-congratulation, genocidal manica with no comprehension of how you made the earth. After this first 25 lines, you REALLY want me to go on and read the rest?!?

That's not attacking someone? According to you, maybe.
If you think this is an OK thing to do, then that would mean what happened to you in school was in turn ok, or if not... that you're a bit of a hypocrite.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 5:39 PM Quote
Dave, you got me all lost. Again. I still enjoy reading. Does that make me sort of a masochist?

elfy
elfy Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 5:49 PM Quote
Bill explains it all.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 5:52 PM Quote

Wait... I thought Eddie Izzard's explaination was it... so confused now...

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 5:56 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

You don't understand? Well everyone else seems to whether or not they agree, maybe you don't want to understand because obviously you don't agree and don't care. Or maybe it's an easy excuse to ignore any actual arguments.
I wonder why it seems to matter so much to you what other people think. It was nothing personal towards a specific person, none of this was. If you had problems at school, that's fine, everyone's personal experiences inform their opinions on life... hence so many opinions, but most people don't turn around and do exactly the same thing to other people... ie: purposefully seek to discredit peoples beliefs.

Quote:
God, you are a raving, narcissistic self-congratulation, genocidal manica with no comprehension of how you made the earth. After this first 25 lines, you REALLY want me to go on and read the rest?!?

If you think this is an OK thing to do, then that would mean what happened to you in school was in turn ok, or if not... that you're a bit of a hypocrite.

Then you can't follow a string very well. I wann't even sure where the above quote about a pointless thread came from, that was the main confusion. I brought up the right point in any case. I'm not avoiding an issue, and I was pretty sure it wasn't directed at a specific person, hence why I said "well just in case, just to pre-empt" etc etc. What do you mean why dooes what people think of me matter so much? I never said it did - I didn't even imply it. I'm not remotely interested in what what people think of me as a person, certainly not a forum.

As for the comment about god, that was a fairly witty sumise of what I'd been discussing. He's narcisistic and self-congratulating because he keeps saying how 'good' what he'd done is - its hardly for him to say, its us who have to live here. Besides if he made that awful mess as described we'd all be dead. He's geonicidal because that method would have killed everything existing on the 'planet', but various other points in the bible and through history have shown him to have meniacle and genocidal tendancies (as well is racist, sexist, and childish personality traits). He wanted people to believe for no reason that thats how he made the earth, but obviousl it wasn't true. In any case, it was written so badly and horrificly, not to mention inaccurately, that my comment, why on earth should I read on, is a fair one. Its not like I zipped out a few badly chosen insults and laid them out - i meant each one for a specific reason based purely on those 25 lines. I've done exactly the opposite of what you seem to keep accusing me of. What happened to me in school wasn't a big deal, I think she was wrong to even have us carry out that excercise and wrong not to listen to my unbiased sensible opinion, but what I just said is not nearly on a par - its only an opinion - I'm not punishing someone for questioning what theyre being told.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 6:03 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
kiwi wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

Quote:

Then you can't follow a string very well. I wann't even sure where the above quote about a pointless thread came from, that was the main confusion. I brought up the right point in any case. I'm not avoiding an issue, and I was pretty sure it wasn't directed at a specific person, hence why I said "well just in case, just to pre-empt" etc etc. What do you mean why dooes what people think of me matter so much? I never said it did - I didn't even imply it. I'm not remotely interested in what what people think of me as a person, certainly not a forum.

As for the comment about god, that was a fairly witty sumise of what I'd been discussing. He's narcisistic and self-congratulating because he keeps saying how 'good' what he'd done is - its hardly for him to say, its us who have to live here. Besides if he made that awful mess as described we'd all be dead. He's geonicidal because that method would have killed everything existing on the 'planet', but various other points in the bible and through history have shown him to have meniacle and genocidal tendancies (as well is racist, sexist, and childish personality traits). He wanted people to believe for no reason that thats how he made the earth, but obviousl it wasn't true. In any case, it was written so badly and horrificly, not to mention inaccurately, that my comment, why on earth should I read on, is a fair one. Its not like I zipped out a few badly chosen insults and laid them out - i meant each one for a specific reason based purely on those 25 lines. I've done exactly the opposite of what you seem to keep accusing me of. What happened to me in school wasn't a big deal, I think she was wrong to even have us carry out that excercise and wrong not to listen to my unbiased sensible opinion, but what I just said is not nearly on a par - its only an opinion - I'm not punishing someone for questioning what theyre being told.

Seriously... if you were actually open minded... unbiased... etc... you wouldn't feel the need to go on repetitive rants, and say how right you are, or feel the need to use words like 'accuse' and 'horrifically' your garbled arguments, which make them come across like something from a tabloid... it's quite funny really.
Infact the last person I met who called themselves 'opened minded' then went on to say there were too many immigrants in britain, and colonialism was a good thing because native people couldn't look after themselves.

Are you actually incapable of listening to other people? You just come across one of those people who argue down people by dint of loudness and repetitiveness. I see your rants, I get where you're coming from, but I don't see the point of your going on about it, and why it matters so much. That's not a question, I'm finished talking to a brick wall for today.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 6:11 PM Quote
All I did was say I didn't see where that argument came from.

I've read intently through what you've said, your history with catholisism among other religeons, understood it, respected it, identified with it having had similar experiences.

I listen to what everyone says to me - you said to me, is that not a bad thing to say (referencing my comment about god). Am I just supposed to say "you're right kiwi - praise be! Thats the ticket indeed. I should change my awful ways." No, I'm supposed to clarify what I was saying since you've taken it out of context. Brick wall? If brick walls could see mate, you really want to look in the mirror. You'll find few people as open minded as me when it comes to this topic. IF you don't see the point of my comments (despite 'seeing where I'm coming from') then just don't venture there. The point is the same as any other thread (and now I'm having to repeat myself becuase you'e asked yet another rounded question) its here because its something I, and obviously a dozen or so other people find interesting. No other reason. Just that. Its not like I've ever posted this topic or any other before - to date I remember evolution, crystal therapy, the miracle power of prayer, your thoughts on an 'afterlife' - Theyre all pretty different. How different is "what are yo ulsitening to now" and "your top three music for today" "favourite peice of music this week" "least favourite song in the charts" - I like to think I occasionally bring some interesting conversations which OCCASIONALLY are about religeon, and much more often about science (admittedly, obviously). It seems any time I reference religeon you take this defensive and pseudo-offensive tone. Interesting for such an open minded person as yourself.

PS - nothing wrong with a strong vocabulary, it preserves the language, stimulates a conversation, makes it less repetative (you know, one of your requirements on someone not being a 'brick wall')

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 24 Feb, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
jeebus i only clicked once!

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:08 PM