Travis

Re: Is Cursive Writing Important Anymore?
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:11 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I didn't know that countries had different types of cursive writing. I thought every person writes differently, no matter the country.

Everyone develops their own style for sure but the starting points are different. I can usually tell if someone is from Europe based on their handwriting. Yours also isn't a style you would normally see here.

But pretty!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
Rachel is learning it now, in 2nd grade. I learned in 3rd. I don't think kids have printing down neat enough in 2nd grade to go on to cursive so soon, but what do I know.

Max's teacher said that from a muscular standpoint, cursive is much easier than printing.

I know a lot of schools are moving to D'Nealian writing, which is sort of a combo of printing and cursive. It is supposed to make the transition easier.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:14 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Max's teacher said that from a muscular standpoint, cursive is much easier than printing.

Does this mean, given my preference, I am a muscular simpleton?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:20 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Does this mean, given my preference, I am a muscular simpleton?

Not at all. You are a total complicaton.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:22 PM Quote
Quote:
**Edit: I just noticed a major difference. LOOK AT THE Q! The way I was taught, the capital Q looks like a squiggly number 2

Yes! That's how I learned it! I will stick with the old school Q. It actually makes more sense visually. ;)

Quote:
Dak your handwriting is gorgeous!!

Thank you! It has improved over time. I too was accused of "Chicken Scratch" in grade school. When I do print it is usually the half printing half cursive thing anyway.

I also taught myself how t write the "a" <--like that. With the little handlebar on top, because I thought it was prettier than the regular a. That took forever to get used to but it's second nature now. :)

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:23 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
http://www.upub.net/images/desk_card_c.gif

Oh my...I can't remember the last time I saw tablet paper! Do kids still use it nowadays?

I think cursive writing is faster...it's funny b/c my handwritig isn't as "consistent" when I print.

At any rate, I just pray that kids learn how to write in general (whole words and sentences). Darn texting.

TTYL (hehe!).

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:30 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

This is a fairly good example of what we were taught in the US, except I was taught to put small loops at the beginning of my "canes" on capital letters like K, H, M, N, and on the top thingys of my T and F. Maybe they don't do the loops anymore.

Other countries do write differently, but someone else will have to point out the differences, since I'm not that familiar with it.

**Edit: I just noticed a major difference. LOOK AT THE Q! The way I was taught, the capital Q looks like a squiggly number 2.

Oh I loooove cursive writing, I think it's great how different people's handwritings look AND how much the handwritings differ from one country to another, too. You can usually see if someone learnt to write in France or in the UK for example.

This is the "Latin Cursive" we were taught to write at school:
http://www-gewi.uni-graz.at/staff/elis/1941%20Lateinische%20Ausgangsschrift.jpg
(my god, my handwriting looks so different now, but I was never good at imitating those letters...)

I still use cursive a lot. when I take classnotes, when I study for my exams and in the exams, too (no multiple choice tests here).

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:32 PM Quote
My normal writing is some sorta cursive/printing combo. But I always cursive my 'z's' so sometimes it looks like I have a funny looking 3 in the middle of my words if I am printing.
Learning cursive was fun. So was printing. On that awesome red, blue, blue, red paper. Anyone? The best was the stuff in grade 1 with the red, blue, blue, red and the big spot for a picture at the top
(sidenote, I once threw up on my story paper was I was in grade 1. My mother happened to be the teacher in the class nextdoor [childhood trauma that perhaps only Moray can also understand] so they took the sick child to her mother. I didnt want to sit there, I wanted to go back and write my effing story. What was wrong with me? I could have gotten out of work!)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:33 PM Quote
Yes, kids still use the paper like that. Mostly in Kindergarten and 1st grade. I don't think Rachel has used it at all in 2nd grade, except when learning new cursive letters. They have a worksheet for the new letter with the dotted line in the middle.

Teachers always praised my handwriting. It's not fancy, but it is very legible.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:50 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This is a fairly good example of what we were taught in the US, except I was taught to put small loops at the beginning of my "canes" on capital letters like K, H, M, N, and on the top thingys of my T and F. Maybe they don't do the loops anymore.

Other countries do write differently, but someone else will have to point out the differences, since I'm not that familiar with it.

**Edit: I just noticed a major difference. LOOK AT THE Q! The way I was taught, the capital Q looks like a squiggly number 2.

Oh I loooove cursive writing, I think it's great how different people's handwritings look AND how much the handwritings differ from one country to another, too. You can usually see if someone learnt to write in France or in the UK for example.

This is the "Latin Cursive" we were taught to write at school:
http://www-gewi.uni-graz.at/staff/elis/1941%20Lateinische%20Ausgangsschrift.jpg
(my god, my handwriting looks so different now, but I was never good at imitating those letters...)

I still use cursive a lot. when I take classnotes, when I study for my exams and in the exams, too (no multiple choice tests here).

Interesting! Very different lower case R. Both upper and lower Z's. And X is different.

mili
mili Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:56 PM Quote
The top part is roughlywhat I learned

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/16406/2903880300103397198S500x500Q85.jpg

and this is what my kids are taught

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/42960/2525249880103397198S500x500Q85.jpg

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:48 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

Dak your handwriting is gorgeous!! And Juli's is too though she will deny it. Moray's is....precious.

In my defence, I'm an Engineer. We have notoriously bad handwriting. I know it looks like I was kept back a year or eight though.

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I always write in cursive. I find print much harder and time consuming. I guess I am weird but that is no surprise.

Me too, Anne.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 8:21 PM Quote
Mmm l think Cursive writing is still important...
l don't use it that often, l use script writing.
You can choose, l think it's always cool to know two or more types of writing

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 8:36 PM Quote
Wow, this is so cool!
Looking at what you guys have posted, we're tought differently here in Argentina. But, to be honest, my handwriting has very little to do with what we're tought.

Google images isn't working for me now, I'll try to find the "argentinian cursive" later to show it to you.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:19 AM