Travis

Back in the Day
Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:51 AM Quote
Wow - so I finally heard "Back in the Day" for the first time today (thanks, Lucile!)and I am blown away. Truly one of the most beautiful little songs I've ever heard.

Re: Back in the Day
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 1:35 AM Quote
It is really good! :) I don't know why we no longer hear Dougie b-sides. Fran seems to sing them now. I can understand that for albums and it's something I said before Colder got on TBWNN that Fran should sing all album tracks even if written by Dougie (Fran is the voice of Travis, and I wouldn't want that to change) but I'd still love to hear Dougie sing his songs as b-sides. Maybe on the next single. :)

Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:03 AM Quote
Glad I could help Cynthia :) It is a lovely little song indeed :)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 5:35 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It is really good! :) I don't know why we no longer hear Dougie b-sides. Fran seems to sing them now. I can understand that for albums and it's something I said before Colder got on TBWNN that Fran should sing all album tracks even if written by Dougie (Fran is the voice of Travis, and I wouldn't want that to change) but I'd still love to hear Dougie sing his songs as b-sides. Maybe on the next single. :)

Sorry I disagree here :)

I really love "back in the day" - even more "enemy" or "distance"...but I what I wouldn't wanna hear it with Fran's voice! Especially "Distance" or "Just the faces change" is kinda perfect with Dougies voice.

I know what you mean, with he's the "voice" of the band - he's got a beautiful voice, but I like Dougies too -
I'd prefer him to sing his songs...also on the record.
They'd still be Travis...

I'd love to hear "ring out the bell" live, last week, I was asking myself how "long way down" or "tail of the tiger" would sound like, sung by Dougie :)

I think they're the band Travis - no matter who of them wirtes or sings the songs....

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 5:57 PM Quote
It would be kinda strange to have 1 or 2 Dougie tracks on an album. I think that Dougies voice is very different from Frans, so I don't know if it would fit in the context of a Travis album. I love Dougies songs and voice though so maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps it would be a perfect move to have two lead singers in the band. A Dougie album would be very welcome indeed, perhaps Travis could release a 2-disc album with Fran on cd A and Dougie on cd B :) Travis are so talented and in the position that they could try almost anything at this point.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:10 PM Quote
Fair enough. :) I stick by it though. I wouldn't want Dougie singing on a Travis album. After 6 albums it wouldn't be right. I like Dougie's voice and enjoy his songs but Last Words wouldn't be as wonderful if Dougie sang because I believe Fran has a beautiful voice and I love Fran's voice. :) Also, it would be strange to have 9 songs sang by Fran and then 2 by Dougie. It would be strange. It works for Oasis because it's what people know and expect. Not Travis. :) I'd also be unsure about a Dougie album. I don't think he writes enough truly great songs to make an album. Perfect solution for me: If Dougie's written a good song, let him sing it and put it as a b-side. Also, Fran wrote the lyrics to Long Way Down so it's fair enough he sings that one. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:32 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Fair enough. :) I stick by it though. I wouldn't want Dougie singing on a Travis album. After 6 albums it wouldn't be right. I like Dougie's voice and enjoy his songs but Last Words wouldn't be as wonderful if Dougie sang because I believe Fran has a beautiful voice and I love Fran's voice. :) Also, it would be strange to have 9 songs sang by Fran and then 2 by Dougie. It would be strange. It works for Oasis because it's what people know and expect. Not Travis. :) I'd also be unsure about a Dougie album. I don't think he writes enough truly great songs to make an album. Perfect solution for me: If Dougie's written a good song, let him sing it and put it as a b-side. Also, Fran wrote the lyrics to Long Way Down so it's fair enough he sings that one. :)

I think I agree with you, Ben.
Or maybe the song fits Fran's voice perfectly, so Fran can sing it and if it's brilliant, it can be on the album.

My favourite Travis song right now is Tail Of The Tiger (I seriously don't know why but I'm fascinated with it). It's a Dougie song, but I don't know if I'd love it this much if Dougie sang it.
I think it's a matter of what fits the song better. For example, I don't think I'd like it if Fran sang The Score.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:41 PM Quote
Oh absolutely. If it's good enough and Last Words certainly is then give it to Fran to sing and put it on the album. If not quite good enough, Dougie sing it and put as b-side. :)

It got me thinking and even though I honestly really do like Dougie's voice and like I said at the top, want to hear him sing more, I think quite a few Dougie songs would be even better if Fran sang them. :) Some might not suit his voice but Ring Out The Bell, as wonderful as it already is, would be even better if sang by Fran. But he is my favourite singer. :)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:46 PM Quote

well then maybe not all of them?

But imaging "I forget my name" with Fran's voice....I love the song just as it is...

or Distance...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:56 PM Quote
Great songs indeed but they're b-sides. :) I'd love more Dougie sang b-sides and have been saying that since the Closer single nearly 2 years ago. I love Dougie songs but they've still only released about 15 Dougie written songs since the first ones 8 years ago. :) I think Last Words shows that Fran can sing a Dougie song wonderfully well. I don't think the song would be as good sang by Dougie but more than that, I don't think it'd suit the album having Dougie pop up suddenly half way through. lol :) Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:58 PM Quote
I do like Dougie's voice, too.
Maybe it's because I haven't heard them otherwise, but I think that the songs that Dougie sings sound great that way. I don't think Ring Out The Bell would sound better with Fran's voice...

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 8:04 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't think it'd suit the album having Dougie pop up suddenly half way through. lol :)

LMAO! Sorry Ben, but that sounded SO funny that I almost fell of my chair laughing!

I got a picture in my head that he jumped out of a giant cake with a guitar and started singing: I'm so lonely God won't know me, or something...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
You're probably right Juli. I mean, maybe Fran wouldn't improve the song but (and I know I was the one who brought the point up) but it isn't really the point anyway. Fran should be the Travis album lead singer. :) That's what I think. :)

LOL Well, for me personally that's what it would be like. Some bands have 2 lead singers but to change after 12 years is a bit silly I think. :)

I mean no offense to Dougie. It would just be strange to change after so long. I don't think it would be right.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 18 Feb, 2009 8:16 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
You're probably right Juli. I mean, maybe Fran wouldn't improve the song but (and I know I was the one who brought the point up) but it isn't really the point anyway. Fran should be the Travis album lead singer. :) That's what I think. :)

LOL Well, for me personally that's what it would be like. Some bands have 2 lead singers but to change after 12 years is a bit silly I think. :)

I mean no offense to Dougie. It would just be strange to change after so long. I don't think it would be right.

Oh yes, I agree with you on that. And as much as I like Dougie's voice, I still think Fran is a better singer.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:39 AM