Travis

Re: Long Way Down lyrics
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 1:31 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
I reckon it could be a subtle reference to The Matrix

'...run little rabbit back to your hole in the ground, it's a long way down...'

I love this song. Can't get it out of my head.

I wish this would be a a single!

Reminds me a bit of Madonna's Die Another Day.

'...they will never take me alive...'

I qonquer, the lyrics are brilliant!

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 3:47 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
The lyrics to LWD are cool. I think the "run little rabbit" might refer to J. Smith to J. Smith being too scared to jump, being caught in the headlights and getting confused. Then the "They're never taking me alive" could be a resolution to try again... or to not try again... either way, it's cool.

Oh bloody hell, don't start all this again! lol

I would like to state categorically that I don't want to start a huge lyric speculation festival again, so if you're feeling the allure of the speculation please ignore my post completely and erase it from your memory. :P

Whilst we're on soon-to-be-taboo topics, if I hear anyone talking about removing/chopping and changing/replacing/improving/disproving/rearranging/analysing the song order on Ode, I'll scream :|

Haha...:) why not? I think it's fun :) This story is actually pretty amazing :) And it's fun to figure it out...

about your screaming-event: You may start: Didn't Fran say he thinks about removing "Get up" from the record - ;)..hehe..

it's probably too late for that, but still:)

One can talk about the "order" of the songs - for the story meant to be -otherwise: it's fine with me :)

Cheers

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
Rammsfer wrote:
Please J Smith, don't commit suicide!

I thought he wanted to commit suicide in the bathroom and just when he was about to do hit fate beat him to it - and he died because of the radio that fell into the bathtub. So he definitely didn't commit suicide.

I also thought I read somewhere here - in this forum - that "long way down" refers to the way down from heaven to hell - as he gots thrown out from heaven :)....wasn't that in the story of ..huh..I don't know - the "final" story -somebody wrote....

u got me confused guys....

Haha
l don't really know...

But this is confusing me :S

Anyway, the song is great :D

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 7:16 PM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:

Sorry to break this to you, but it's a bit late now ;)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:55 PM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:

Hahaha...

what shocking news! hehe - damn, and I thought he could be safed...hehe...but he actually is back on earth isn't he? (heaven didn't want him, hell didn't want him ... well where else can you go :) )

so he's now a ghost...uhhh spooky (Scully and Mulder would have had their fun about this story...)

and about the confusement: there was once a thread:story of JSmith...someone did write a story containing all the record-songs including all our lyric-interpretation-conclusions...so if u wanna read that :) have fun - and tell us what u think of it and how the new songs could fit in :)

Sorry for the long post...I'm dead tired - and yet awake....

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 2:56 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

I also thought I read somewhere here - in this forum - that "long way down" refers to the way down from heaven to hell - as he gots thrown out from heaven :)....wasn't that in the story of ..huh..I don't know - the "final" story -somebody wrote....

When I hear the song I pretty much think the same. When I hear it I always think of Dante's Divine Comedy. I don't know but for me this song (and basically all Ode) represents the journey of mankind from Heaven to Hell, going through Earth. Moreover it represents to me the journey of humankind through the inner self. But also I think I'm just crazy xD.

Aída
Aída Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:38 AM Quote

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:45 AM Quote

that'd be no. 3 of the songs in Alice in Wonderland :) Humpty Dumpty Love song, Coming around....hehe...

I really should start to read that story...;)

glad it's not playboy story :P

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 3:16 PM Quote
Aída wrote:
neo1011 wrote:
I reckon it could be a subtle reference to The Matrix

'...run little rabbit back to your hole in the ground, it's a long way down...'

noooooooooooo it's Alice in wonderland!

Could be! Very ambigious+ Though it's interesting to note that the download site of the shop on this website is called Trinity, which just in case people aren't familiar with The Matrix, is a major character. Hope I'm not pushing down my wacky interpretations now anyone's throat!

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 4:50 PM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:

Haha lmao
Poor J Smith =(

akanksha
akanksha Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 7:10 AM Quote
Is it really about him committing suicide? I kind of had another impression...

Fran said that the song "J Smith" was how he died, went to "Heaven" and the angels in heaven told him(in Latin) to go back, right?
So I kind of thought "Long Way Down" came after that - the long way down back from heaven to earth. And while his soul is coming back down to earth, he looks at all the people, the steeple, the seagull swooping...etc. And he doesn't WANT to go to earth again, he wants to be dead, he doesn't want anyone to "take" him alive.

Ok ok, it's a bit of a strange idea and doesn't really fit with some lyrics such as "Papa I'm too young to die..." but that was the weird, weird intepretation I got out of it...(:

Edit: Whoops sorry, didn't read Nell's post which said almost the same thing ! :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:36 AM Quote
The feeling I've always had is that the The Mama/Papa-thing is about Frans own parents. Even though the rest of the song goes in theme with Ode, the last sentences feels more Fran than J.Smith, I think :P

He has always had a big need to write about his childhood, it's therapy for Fran ;)

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 1:41 PM Quote

confusing...but right...

ok - but after he finds out his girlfriend is pregnant he actually wants to be there right?

I thought this whole record is ( in relation to the story) about fate? First he wanted to commit suicide - but dies in the very last minute of something else in an accident and gets pushed around (angels/devil who/whatever :) )

poor J.Smith...hihi...but maybe he deserved it...although Sarah seems to be a rough one too

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 3:10 AM