Travis

Re: song to self uk chart
Wolfy
Wolfy Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 9:17 PM Quote
And that's only the beginning of another Travis succes!!!

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 1:13 PM Quote
Kaiser Chiefs latest single Good days Bad days didn't nmake the top 40 either, which is unheard of for them. Think that pop is making a major comeback at the moment, and its hard for other bands to get airplay.
I think bringing back something like Top Of The Pops would help bands like Travis to get across to a large audience.

mili
mili Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 1:24 PM Quote
Hodgy wrote:
Kaiser Chiefs latest single Good days Bad days didn't nmake the top 40 either, which is unheard of for them. Think that pop is making a major comeback at the moment, and its hard for other bands to get airplay.
I think bringing back something like Top Of The Pops would help bands like Travis to get across to a large audience.

Isn't Top Of The Pops coming back? I thought I saw some of it while I was in England recently. Or was it just a new year's one-off special?

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 7:33 PM Quote
Hey,

I need some technical help here. Yesterday I bought all the downloads from the Trinity St Download Service. I downloaded 7 songs very fast. The past 12 hours I've tried downloading Song To Self, the track I forgot to download. I can only get dial up speed transfers, whereas yesterday I was able to do it broadband/cable speed. I'm using the same computer too. Should I email technical support of this site?

Ta,
neo1011

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 14 Jan, 2009 7:55 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Isn't Top Of The Pops coming back? I thought I saw some of it while I was in England recently. Or was it just a new year's one-off special?

Just a Christmas and a New Year special :(

neo1011 wrote:
Hey,

I need some technical help here. Yesterday I bought all the downloads from the Trinity St Download Service. I downloaded 7 songs very fast. The past 12 hours I've tried downloading Song To Self, the track I forgot to download. I can only get dial up speed transfers, whereas yesterday I was able to do it broadband/cable speed. I'm using the same computer too. Should I email technical support of this site?

Ta,
neo1011

Hi Neo1011, if you can't download it you should email them, but if it works slowly then I guess that's easier. Other people have emailed them and haven't got replies so you might have to try to solve it yourself.

Liam182
Liam182 Posted Sat 24 Jan, 2009 5:02 PM Quote
its a great song so shame it didnt make it higher.
When will the next UK gig dates be announced?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 24 Jan, 2009 7:17 PM Quote
Hi Liam, no idea when the next tour dates will be unfortunately but probably not for a good few months.

S2S stayed at #2 in the indie chart this week which isn't too shabby given that none of us were buying it.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:22 PM Quote
Hasn't the digital revolution rendered the singles chart all but defunct and pointless?? Since you can purchase singles track at a time post album release, there's not much point in buying song to self digitally, when you have the album - just source the b-sides. Surely the more 'creditable' bands judge themselves on album sales now more than they ever did before?

Or on live shows - which Travis can still consistantly sell out.

Anyway, that said, the lack of radio play for song to self was criminal

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:26 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Hasn't the digital revolution rendered the singles chart all but defunct and pointless?? Since you can purchase singles track at a time post album release, there's not much point in buying song to self digitally, when you have the album - just source the b-sides. Surely the more 'creditable' bands judge themselves on album sales now more than they ever did before?

Or on live shows - which Travis can still consistantly sell out.

Anyway, that said, the lack of radio play for song to self was criminal

IMHO this is spot on. Singles charts are not worth the paper they're written on (so to speak), or even a thread in the forum. Complete waste of emotion getting upset over singles performance.

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:46 PM Quote
uk indie chart

Travis
Song To Self
(Red Telephone Box)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 4:49 PM Quote
But a single is promotion for an album. The higher charted the single, the better the album performs and the more tickets the band can sell for gigs. The last UK tour was not a sell out. Tickets were still available only days before the gigs. Maybe they sold out on the day but that doesn't bode well for the future.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
But a single is promotion for an album.

Hence the importance of radio play and a good publicity machine. If singles chart success follows then fine, but it's not going to fill a venue. Publicity is key!!! I'm sure we've had this conversation before :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
If singles chart success follows then fine, but it's not going to fill a venue.

No, but album success would. Even though the actual single charting well isn't of that much importance, it's the consequence of that which makes it worthwhile. :)

Intergalactic91
Intergalactic91 Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:42 PM Quote
Promotion of singles and albums is vital for chart placing

Colplay had a number 1 with vida lad vida (single & album)
but recently only reached number 54 with Lost and number 90 with Life In Technicolor without much promotion..even for a band as popular as coldplay & travis it just shows how vital promotion is.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:06 PM Quote
Life In Technicolour is yet to be released as a single I think. I assume it's reached 90 just through individual downloads from the EP. Out next Monday officially. :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 11:29 PM