Intergalactic91 Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:47 PM Quote
healyramirez wrote:

What is the uk singles chart position?

I'm not sure yet..but I know it didn't make the top 40

Update: it didn't make the top 75 :(..things aren't going so great

Re: song to self uk chart
travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 8:20 PM Quote
I don't really understand how they range those guys anyway. Do internet sales count? So,I could be contributing to Travis' chart position right? Because if that's the case it's not a "UK" chart at all.CD Wow and couple of other UK cd websites have a worldwide delivery free policy which makes it quite tempting to go and buy something from there,even if you are,say,from Mars.

I do know the lack of promotion this album has,but if a Travis' single doesnt make it to top 100,well there's a problem.Lots of re-releases from 2-3 years ago ARE in top 100.I'm guessing that most of the shops there don't even offer Travis Cds.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 8:31 PM Quote
For the official chart, CD, vinyl and download sales count. I was be amazed if S2S had made the top 100 - maybe even top 150 or 200 - because Something Anything was around 120 before the album came out. I think S2S is the most sellable song they've written in years so that's a shame.

EDIT: Oh, and we don't have a CD release this time so I'm guessing that it will chart awfully, if at all.

Intergalactic91
Intergalactic91 Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 8:44 PM Quote
It's a real shame were talking of numbers such as 100-150 even 200 when just 2 years ago closer hit the top 10

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:01 PM Quote
J Smith reached 115. Something Anything reached 113. Song To Self... they don't seem to release the information of such pathetic low charting songs until the Monday. We'll find out tomorrow probably.

Edit: Mmm, struggling to find where we can see such information at all. Only on Wikipedia do I know where the other 2 charted. Might have to wait until some clever person Wikipedias it. lol

Stop embarrassing everyone and either 1, don't release singles or 2, promote them more. It's sad to see Travis songs perform so poor in the charts.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:09 PM Quote
Intergalactic91 wrote:
It's a real shame were talking of numbers such as 100-150 even 200 when just 2 years ago closer hit the top 10

Closer only 18 months before Something Anything. It is proof that Travis can still chart well. Song To Self could have done. :) On iTunes, singles from a few years ago out sold it. A few Muse songs, a few Coldplay, Snow Patrol and Keane songs. Nobody should be shocked though.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:25 PM Quote
Case study:
Take That - Rule the World charted over 14 months ago, that's one month after My Eyes tickled the outer reaches of the charts. Since then, Travis have released 3 singles which haven't troubled the top 100 whilst Rule The World is still at #59. Admittedly they have a new single and album, but so did Travis.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:33 PM Quote
Muse - Feeling Good. It charted at 24 when it was released over 7 years ago.

It sold more downloads on iTunes than Song To Self last week. According to iTunes anyway. Song To Self is available to buy but I've got no idea where it charted on there as it's not in the top 100 'alternative' or top 100 'rock' or anything. :(

1922 Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 1:07 AM Quote
S2S missed the top 100 on the UK chart.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 8:39 AM Quote
I think its a mixture of things :

Marketing- this obviously gets to non Travis fans who then hopefully want to hear the whole album.

Chart corruption - its just a mish mash of hit and miss and clearly , now, has no
definitive monitor or meaning of true success or popularity.

Album released prior to single - got to have some impact .It would in the old world.

I don't think Coldplay's 'Lost ' did much either. ( I may stand corrected) Either way I didn't hear it much.

Radio stations seems to play a lot of old music that used to chart properly so its like there is a problem generally !.

(eg; bet you hear Sing, Flowers and Rain instead of S2S !) Weird!

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 3:05 PM Quote
I think we are at the stage that there not botherd about charting i mean the lack of Cd release proves it there is no way a post album single will chart just on downloads and a few records, i think its just a way of getting the b-sides out there and stuff.....in sayin that i think if song to self had been relased with a massive push and everything it would prob have done aswell if not better that closer !!

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 3:06 PM Quote
Top 30 Independent Label Singles : 11.01.2009

Oasis
I'm Outta Time
(Big Brother)

2 NEW
New Entry
Travis
Song To Self
(Red Telephone Box)

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 9:12 PM Quote
Safe Side wrote:
I think we are at the stage that there not botherd about charting i mean the lack of Cd release proves it there is no way a post album single will chart just on downloads and a few records, i think its just a way of getting the b-sides out there and stuff.....in sayin that i think if song to self had been relased with a massive push and everything it would prob have done aswell if not better that closer !!

Downloads now account for 96% of the purchases counted in the charts so Hit 40 UK (it's an alternate chart for commercial radio stations) this week dropped CD sales from its chart, so they're not essential.

healyramirez wrote:
Top 30 Independent Label Singles : 11.01.2009

Oasis
I'm Outta Time
(Big Brother)

2 NEW
New Entry
Travis
Song To Self
(Red Telephone Box)

Excellent news, that's more like it!

rebekah
rebekah Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 9:15 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It's sad to see Travis songs perform so poor in the charts.

:( Owwww and it's so ridiculously annoying! I mean WHY? Travis are soooo much better than some artists!!! Yeah okay they have been round awhile..but arrgh!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:55 AM