Travis

Re: The Ballad of J. Smith
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 4:51 PM Quote
gotta be honest, I'm still totally cold to all this J.Smith stuff. I just take every song as it comes like in every other album. I have no soul. :)

Never really thought of Sarah fitting in, really. I suspect a few of the songs really don't, they were just written in the same way as everything else Fran's written for years, then, I dunno, something was tweaked/a back story loosely put in afterwards to make it fit. Dunno. It's just a good song to me.

Good on the guys really thinking about this whole J.Smith story, but that's one thing about 'Ode' I just can't find any real interest in, it seems slightly pointless.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 4:51 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

"you'd look shit upon my family tree"? So either you are together with someone - and then you love that person or you're not - but can't be ashamed of him while you're in love with him.......

I love the refrain!
Well I love the whole song, but the refrain is when J. Smith finally wins my sympathy.

He said pretty baby will you marry me?
She said you'd look shit upon my family tree

That's my love story mr Smith!!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 6:19 PM Quote
I agree Mike. I listen and enjoy as individual songs and don't take the 'story' aspect too seriously. :)

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 6:54 PM Quote
yeah i agree as well, its an album not a book.

i think as long as the songs are good whether they all link up to make a story or not doesn't really matter, we should be focusing on the music itself not the life of this fictoinal character at the centre of it all.

i mean travis' best-selling albums were about a man who thought his wife was a hat and an invisible band, and they were both full of great songs so I think some people have taken the whole looking deep into the songs a tad too far.

not the albums fault btw..
love that album.

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:08 PM Quote

Haha.....yeah me too...well I too love the song and I too found some sympathy for Smith and started to like him ...

but now to you :) that's YOUR love story? hehe...that can be understood as you experienced thatas well.....I'm listening...

hehe

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:12 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Haha.....yeah me too...well I too love the song and I too found some sympathy for Smith and started to like him ...

but now to you :) that's YOUR love story? hehe...that can be understood as you experienced thatas well.....I'm listening...

hehe

Maybe we shouldn't discuss my love life in this thread!
But don't worry there's not much to tell and the most of it is crap :P

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:26 PM Quote

Hahah...but so there IS a love life :)

maybe another thread? :P we can open one for this you know...I think it's a matter of public interest :p (or just mine..)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 2:23 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Hahah...but so there IS a love life :)

maybe another thread? :P we can open one for this you know...I think it's a matter of public interest :p (or just mine..)

Haha I think you're the only one who's interested in my love life, if you really are? :P A thread isn't necessary!

Back to the wonderful Ballad! :D

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 4:19 PM Quote
SamHolden wrote:
yeah i agree as well, its an album not a book.

i think as long as the songs are good whether they all link up to make a story or not doesn't really matter, we should be focusing on the music itself not the life of this fictoinal character at the centre of it all.

(..)

I think you're right about the music: The main thing still is the music - And i love it.

But it's also interesting to see the point behind the lyrics. Not just in this case - also on other songs of Travis or any other artist (whose not just covering - but actually writing and putting some thought in it)

A song is kind of a connection between music and a poem - like in a musical or the musical backround on a film. (Lord of the rings wouldn't have been half as good without the music ;) ) the lyric/ a poem represents the artificial side of the prosa - the speech - wich usually wants to "say"/"tell" something - anything :)

Music and lyrics emphasise the meaning of the song - what the artist wanted to express, don't you think?

whether it's on song or a whole record or a musical....doesn't matter. For example: "One night" has a pretty sad melody - the chord suite is similar to the one in "Love will come through" - and the lyrics in "one night" express a certain dispair. It all fits together brilliantly.

I love One night - fell in love with the music first - but then "discovered" the lyrics - it's like a little story....love it.

Well, at least I like it.

And yes - there are songs just made to be songs nothing more - :) of course I'm not disagreeing there - but sometimes there actually can be more behind it.

Ps: Alex: well :) Since I'm still interested in your story :p why don't u write it down :) "Biography of Alex, The boy with a name" ;) I'd buy it! hehe

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 May, 2009 2:48 PM Quote
Every time I hear this song, I wonder, why 7 candles?

The first time I heard the song, I thought it was silver candles, which I thought meant by the time you get life figured out there isn't much of it left. But 7 candles...all I can think of is the "7 year itch." He was in a relationship for 7 years and got dumped. That's probably really stretching it, but it's all I can come up with, since blowing out candles usually represents years.

Anybody got other ideas?

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 27 May, 2009 10:18 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Every time I hear this song, I wonder, why 7 candles?

The first time I heard the song, I thought it was silver candles, which I thought meant by the time you get life figured out there isn't much of it left. But 7 candles...all I can think of is the "7 year itch." He was in a relationship for 7 years and got dumped. That's probably really stretching it, but it's all I can come up with, since blowing out candles usually represents years.

Anybody got other ideas?

or maybe just because of the lyrical flow to it (poetic function) - as it rhymes...

But like ur answer....I wish they'd would have made the videos about the story :p but easy :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 27 May, 2009 10:55 PM Quote
Oh so it's 7 candels? I thought it was silver candles too!

Intersting! I don't think it's a coincidence, why "7 candles" when he could have sung something completely different to go along with the melody?

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 4:58 PM Quote

Welll after all "7" is a "magic" number. Appears almost in every story tale (like 3,6 or 13)

Well maybe it's because of that - but still - it'd need 2 syllables. :) and no other number til ten has that :)

but I guess Ben's right...7 years - feels right - at least for me

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 5:12 PM Quote
Maybe mr Smith is refering to his childhood?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 6:00 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
Welll after all "7" is a "magic" number. Appears almost in every story tale (like 3,6 or 13)

We know that Fran is interested in the significance of numbers and how they seem to follow you around (eg. 44 in Love You Anyways, 19 and 22 in 1922) but chances are there's no great back-story. It's always reminded me of the religious candle stand things which fits in with the whole J Smith life/death story, in my mind at least :)

http://www.brentbrain.org.uk/brain/braincf.nsf/images/menorah/$file/menorah_content.jpg

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] All Times BST Current Time 8:49 AM