Travis

Re: The Ballad of J. Smith
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:47 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Hi Mike. :)

That may be a ramble, but it is one hell of a good one. :) lol Totally agree with you, 100%. When I first heard it, and I think I said in this thread, I thought it was probably a top 10 b-side. Well, it's certainly that. I think it might be my favourite Travis b-side now. It was Sarah, then Used To Belong came along, now... The Ballad Of J Smith. :) Like you say, it's the perfect Travis single and like I said before, not only should it have been on Ode itself but it should have been a single. Release it with a performance on Wossie, a top video and a bit of promotion, it would chart well. :)

Maybe when they come to release the b-side album (which is becoming a GREAT album in itself) this could be a song to promote it. :)

Maybe when the b-side album comes out this could be the first b-side ever to be released as a single! :D

That's almost as confusing as having a track on a Singles album that isn't a single. Oh, wait...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:49 PM Quote
It fully deserves to be a single. It's better than J Smith itself I think. And Something Anything. And Long Way Down. And Friends. And Get Up... lol

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I love it. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:52 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It fully deserves to be a single. It's better than J Smith itself I think. And Something Anything. And Long Way Down. And Friends. And Get Up... lol

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I love it. :)

Is there any Travis song that you don't think is better than Get Up, Ben? ;)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:54 PM Quote

Hi....first: Thx for the mp3! Been listening to it all day! I love the song!

I only wish it was on the album - I think it's an amazing track - and it's kinda sad that on this way - less people get to know it...

Same as Sarah (although I like The Ballad of J.Smith more...) for instance!

Amazing work! ( I especially like the 2 voices at the refrain, and also the chords-suite and bass - line...really love them...)

So...I know what I'll be doing tonight....get back studyingf or my finals and listening to that song...;)

cu

Ps: The story of J Smith: "we" ( I mean - whoever wrote this great version of Smith' story) should try to integrate the B-sides....:) that'd be cool...;) ...who did the last - best - version?

Wish u a dreamfull night!

nell

Nell

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:55 PM Quote
I've been giving this all waaaaay too much thought. It beats actually reading a book on the train to work I guess.

I was thinking. I reckon this is an album where my absolute favourite of all of the recordings from that era is a b-side. The 'wow' songs on Ode for me are Ballad, Chinese Blues, Used to Belong and Before You Were Young. Others I very, very much like, but not quite on that huge level. And Ballad probably tops that list. Don't think that's true of any other album I've ever owned. I was thinking 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants' by Oasis (Let's all Make Believe) but decided Gas Panic was marginally better. So....nope. Ode's out on its own.

Yeah, I do like Ballad quite a bit, really. Dunno how you guessed ;)

Also think Used to Belong is brilliant because it's got this quirky, almost creepy, atmosphere all the way through, it's absolutely dripping in 'something', not sure what - but something that makes it truly stand out.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:57 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Is there any Travis song that you don't think is better than Get Up, Ben? ;)

LOL Good point. Though like I've said before, it isn't a bad song at all. It's ok. I just think it's probably the least best Travis song to make an album. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 9:06 PM Quote
I think Ballad will make it into the Travis League next season, it's gone from 1 vote to 6 votes in a day or so :P

Good for you boys, good for me ;)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 9:24 PM Quote
I certainly like it, but I don't think rate it as highly as some people. It's nowehere near the level of Sarah for me (favourite b-side), and I think that J. Smith, Something Anything and LWD are all a lot better, because they're brilliant. Try making your own Ode out of all the songs we have and you'll be happy :)

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Wed 07 Jan, 2009 9:46 PM Quote
The Ballad of J Smith is absolutely brilliant, and is far better than "that G song" which if we cast our minds back a few months was in fact a B Side on the J Smith EP.

I think it should have stayed as a B side so Sarah and TBOJS could have gone on the album. makes sense...

At the end of the day though, the people who love Travis like us are going to hear all the tracks they do whether theyre B-Sides or on the album, if the consumers out there aren't smart enough to research Travis more then they're missing out on great tracks like TBOJS and stuck with crap like Get Up. It's their loss not ours, I mean honestly Travis seemed to be fairly doomed to commercial failure so as long as they keep producing great music we'll keep hearing it no matter where it is.

oh and does anyone know the chords to the ballad of J smith?

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Thu 08 Jan, 2009 12:23 AM Quote
Finally l got the song!

l love it!!
Simply awesome, and i specially love the chorus...

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 09 Jan, 2009 2:20 PM Quote
SamHolden wrote:
usic we'll keep hearing it no matter where it is.

oh and does anyone know the chords to the ballad of J smith?

Not so sure about the chords - would need a piano to check - and I'm not at home right now - so plz. correct me - I'm probably wrong:

Verse:
em ¦C ¦D ¦G G/Fsharp
em ¦C ¦D ¦D H7
em ¦C ¦D ¦H7
em ¦C ¦D ¦ D

Chorus: 4x em ¦C ¦ G ¦H7

Verse2 same as 1

Middle8 or Bridge:
D ¦G ¦H7 ¦ em
D ¦H7¦ em C ¦D G

Chorus again...

¦<->¦ = 1 measure - wih 4 beats.

but as said...i'd need an instrument to check.....can do here..

cu

Verse:
Em________________C
He watched the shadows
D G G/Fsharp
On the walls of his room
Em C D D H7
And the silence when you speak too soon
Em C
And he held her tightly
D H7
So tight he could tell
Em C D D H7
He knew the feeling so well

Chorus:
Em C
He said "Pretty baby will you marry me?"
G H7
She said "You'd look shit upon my family tree"
Em C G H7
And that's when he realised he'd have to start agai…n Em C
And just when you think you've got it figured out
G H7
They light seven candles and you're blowing them out
Em C G H7
You know that you're going to have to light them all agai…n

Verse:
Em C D G G/ Fsharp
You see her turning night into day
Em C D D H7
And the broken television display
Em C
And I know you're hurting
D H7
But tonight I can pray
Em C D D
Cos you've got to think for yourself

Middle8

D G
Lie down everyone
H7 em
Close your eyes and look for the sun
D H7
Even they don't know where it's gone
Em A D G
Reminiscing of days when you knew that you belong

Chorus

Ps: the formation here is shit! I've been editing this like 10x now - and it's never how it should be! -So you have to listen for yourself when the chords change - or I'll send it to you in a word file.

enjoy

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 3:33 PM Quote

Seriously...

Fran told us about J Smith - that he wasn't a very nice person especially to his girlfriend - but it seems to me that Sarah wasn't very nice either...

I mean "you'd look shit upon my family tree"...kinda harsh....

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 3:37 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Seriously...

Fran told us about J Smith - that he wasn't a very nice person especially to his girlfriend - but it seems to me that Sarah wasn't very nice either...

I mean "you'd look shit upon my family tree"...kinda harsh....

So is Sarah part of the same story? I have never thought about it that way :O
Great job with the chords btw! :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 3:45 PM Quote
I think it's up to us to make what we want of it as on Songbook, Fran said he wasn't going to say what things were about with Ode To J Smith. :)

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 4:02 PM Quote

Thx Alex,

Yeah..but he should! I mean we all have our theories..(well we mainly have all the same by now...proably - after the big thread of the story of J.Smith...) - And now it'd be the best time to solve the mystery and tell us what can be or won't. He gave us hints after all - like he didn't commit suicide - the thing with the radio etc.

....even if the song Sarah was just out of the blue - and not about his girlfriend at all - J.Smiths girlfriend is still pretty mean...

"you'd look shit upon my family tree"? So either you are together with someone - and then you love that person or you're not - but can't be ashamed of him while you're in love with him.......

I kinda feel sorry for J.Smith right now - even though he was a egoistic person....

As I understood it, Sarah is his girlfriend (how the song "Sarah" makes sense in this story...I haven't figured out yet) I'd be so glad if some geniouse here could include all those B-Sides in the story :)....

;)

Ps: If anyone wants any chords - of any songs just write me - you'll find the most of them on the internet somewhere- or versions of them - but almost none B-Sides....:(

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:57 AM