Travis

Re: X factor winners to cover Hallelujah
kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:24 PM Quote
No, nothing is sacred with Cowell around.

But we can comfort ourselves with the knowledge he's surely going to hell.

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
yeah, as per Nikki's comment - Memory Almost Full is a good album.

And his new album is out this week. I've not listened to it yet, however he's worked with 'Youth' on it. Which is pretty progressive and cool for McCartney.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:37 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I'm not dening that McCuntney is not talented the beatles were amazing but he has done fuck all else of any worth since then.

Nothing to do with the thread, but I agree with this.

As for the renaming of Buckley and McCartney, a la Dubz, I think it's quite funny. And at least there is consistency :)

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:28 PM Quote
Oh, I thought you meant the Happy Mondays song! Haha.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:36 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Which version ?? Andy Weatherall, Paul Oakenfold or Kirsty MacColl

Dubz

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Which version ?? Andy Weatherall, Paul Oakenfold or Kirsty MacColl

Dubz

Oh, I dunno la. The one on the Happy Mondays Greatest Hits album. Hey, did I tell you I danced with Bez last night? He's fucking off his tits, bloody mentalist :D

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:49 PM Quote

HAHAHA nice onle lil' skanker!! I read his book a while back, he lived in Morocco selling dope for a while... he is indeed a proper mental.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 12:45 PM Quote
Listening to McCuntney right now Memory Almost Full.

It's crap, pure AOR (adult orientated rock), for the kind of people who listen to Dire Straights, Chris Rea, the Eagles, etc. etc.

The first track sounds like Garth Fucking Brooks for Fuck's sake.

The fourth track is obviously the obligatory "Rock" tune.

You Tell Me is this him showing his "sensitive" side

Mr Bellamy, I know that piano riff, (at the start not the end although the one at the end sounds influenced by Requiem for a Dream) it's a direct lift from something else, played on electric piano to show how modern and "with it" the cock is ??

Gratitude sounds like something off of Abbey Road

The rest of it just sounds like a pale Beatles imitation. Now I remember why I hate the bollix so much, it's a fucking waste of god given fucking talent, this is one of the five guys who practically changed the face of Pop music, who is now making mediocre, safe, crap, bland, insipid, twee, bullshit music for people who think they are cool but still want to be safe while rebelling. The type of tosser who was once a huge protester, fighting for everything during his college days and as soon as he's finished college goes to work for someone like fucking Shell or BP.

Even if i didn't know this was McCuntney I woulod still find it bland and uninspired, it sounds like any Beatlesque type band/singer/sonwriter.

This is of course just my opinion but I have backed up my opinion with reasons for not liking it. I'm of the opinion that if you are not going to do something new or at least better than it's already been done, then what's the fucking point.

As you may have guessed no apology will be forthcoming as I think my original statement That McCuntney has done fuck all decent since his days with the Beatles still holds true. This is nothing new (or particularly good for that matter)

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:08 PM Quote
If you look up the dictionary to define 'biased' there will be a picture of dubz, with a speech bubble saying these words.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
Erhmm Ok if you say so...

at least I have attempted to keep an open mind on both Memory Almost Full and Grace (which I will continue to try and get "it"), you however are being more stubborn by completely ignoring my opinion. I listen to Grace a few days ago and while I listened was looking out for the things you mentioned earlier in this thread, the voice/guitar style etc. and as I have stated already I just don't hear it.

Dubz

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:49 AM Quote
Never been a song that has meant anything to me. But i can understand that if it does , you wouldnt want a game show winner putting it out as a single.

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 1:03 PM Quote
I quite enjoyed my mate Andy's take on this in his weekly column:

article here

The second thing to take my boat and throw it off course was the announcement that the winner of the X Factor’s first release is to be a cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.

Remember the snow we had the other week? I was lucky enough to see it at 6am on a Saturday.

It was untouched, perfect and pure. Aberdeen looked beautiful. I don’t think anywhere else in the world can look as nice when it’s snowing.

Then out came the people and stomped all over it. Stomp stomp stomp, until all that was left was a horrible brown cold wet slush which no one liked and caused everyone hassle.

That’s what’s going to happen to Hallelujah.

The late Jeff Buckley covered Hallelujah and made it perfect.

Some songs are covered undeservedly because the original is too great, and then there are other songs that are covered and the cover makes the song something else – Johnny Cash singing the Nine Inch Nails’ Hurt is the finest example.

But Jeff Buckley took a song which Leonard Cohen had obsessed over for a year of his life, a song for which he had written 80 verses and which he could never finish, and with a breathy mixture of misery, sexual release and optimism made it something incredibly special.

Whoever wins the X-Factor this year is no way going to match Buckley’s performance.

Like when Steve Martin thought he could bring something to the role of Clouseau that Peter Sellers hadn’t quite achieved or when some big movie company decided that our children were too stupid to read the original Peter Pan so they brought out a special movie tie in edition that removed all the words with more than two syllables.

If you strip away the cringeworthy “banter” of the judges and the horrible tension-raising flashbacks to the previous week’s episode, you have at the very heart a talent competition.

No one has the talent to cover Hallelujah.

If someone says to me ‘No, I don’t watch the X-Factor/Strictly Come Dancing/I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here’ I tend to think they’re a bit odd.

Not as odd as the people without TVs – for they are the strangest freaks you will ever meet in your life with the only exception being those who have been home schooled. It’s the way they say it. Somehow suggesting that watching any of these programs makes you an idiot.

I’ll be honest I don’t watch any of these programs, I mean they just happen to be on the TV when I’m in the living room.

But they’re not for idiots, they’re mostly starring idiots but they’re made for the Great British public and a lot of them won’t have heard Hallelujah as it should be sang.

The X Factor winner could ruin a very special song for people who’ve never heard it, so don’t. Cover Take That or Girls Aloud instead.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 1:16 PM Quote
people without tv's are a little nutty.
And i agree, Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is simply one of the most beautiful songs ever. And the video breaks my heart.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
I quite enjoyed my mate Andy's take on this in his weekly column:

article here

The second thing to take my boat and throw it off course was the announcement that the winner of the X Factor’s first release is to be a cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.

Remember the snow we had the other week? I was lucky enough to see it at 6am on a Saturday.

It was untouched, perfect and pure. Aberdeen looked beautiful. I don’t think anywhere else in the world can look as nice when it’s snowing.

Then out came the people and stomped all over it. Stomp stomp stomp, until all that was left was a horrible brown cold wet slush which no one liked and caused everyone hassle.

That’s what’s going to happen to Hallelujah.

The late Jeff Buckley covered Hallelujah and made it perfect.

Some songs are covered undeservedly because the original is too great, and then there are other songs that are covered and the cover makes the song something else – Johnny Cash singing the Nine Inch Nails’ Hurt is the finest example.

But Jeff Buckley took a song which Leonard Cohen had obsessed over for a year of his life, a song for which he had written 80 verses and which he could never finish, and with a breathy mixture of misery, sexual release and optimism made it something incredibly special.

Whoever wins the X-Factor this year is no way going to match Buckley’s performance.

Like when Steve Martin thought he could bring something to the role of Clouseau that Peter Sellers hadn’t quite achieved or when some big movie company decided that our children were too stupid to read the original Peter Pan so they brought out a special movie tie in edition that removed all the words with more than two syllables.

If you strip away the cringeworthy “banter” of the judges and the horrible tension-raising flashbacks to the previous week’s episode, you have at the very heart a talent competition.

No one has the talent to cover Hallelujah.

If someone says to me ‘No, I don’t watch the X-Factor/Strictly Come Dancing/I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here’ I tend to think they’re a bit odd.

Not as odd as the people without TVs – for they are the strangest freaks you will ever meet in your life with the only exception being those who have been home schooled. It’s the way they say it. Somehow suggesting that watching any of these programs makes you an idiot.

I’ll be honest I don’t watch any of these programs, I mean they just happen to be on the TV when I’m in the living room.

But they’re not for idiots, they’re mostly starring idiots but they’re made for the Great British public and a lot of them won’t have heard Hallelujah as it should be sang.

The X Factor winner could ruin a very special song for people who’ve never heard it, so don’t. Cover Take That or Girls Aloud instead.

This would be an excellent point and I do agree with a lot of it in principle but for the fact that Fuckley did not cover Cohen's version HE COVERED JOHN CALE'S that said I again reitterate I do agree with most of the above!!

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
I'm going to argue another point. How can you cover a cover version? Regardless of the similarities - he covered the original artists source material.

if I played Hit me Baby one more time on an acoustic, I wouldn't be covering Travis.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:15 PM