Travis

Any ideas???...
barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Fri 14 Nov, 2008 9:00 PM Quote
I love reading stories to my kids aged 10 and 8 , We've almost finished Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney...great spooky read.It's great to see there faces enthralled wanting to know what happens next. What books are you reading to your kids?Any ideas for our next read?

Re: Any ideas???...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:28 PM Quote
My oldest is 7, so we're not quite there yet, but when I was that age, I enjoyed the Paddington Bear series, funny books by Judy Blume like Superfudge, and books by Beverly Clearly (though those books are very dated now.) I don't know if you have boys or girls or both. My list is girly. My favorite, favorite book at about 9 yrs. old was Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink. It's about 2 sisters, 10 & 12??, who are cast adrift in a lifeboat with 4 babies. They float to an island and make a life for themselves until they are rescued. Caddie Woodlawn by the same author is good, too. It's about a large family during the pioneer days in the US.

barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
Thanks for the ideas, my two are boys and are into spooky/ ghost stories at the moment. We've read all the Harry Potter books.
I love reading to them , it's so rewarding, they love it.

barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
Thanks for the ideas, my two are boys and are into spooky/ ghost stories at the moment. We've read all the Harry Potter books.
I love reading to them , it's so rewarding, they love it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:08 PM Quote

Have you tried The Hobbit, it's the forerunner to Lord of the Rings and aimed more at kids, full of things like Dragons, Trolls, Dwarves and Wizards a bit more grown up than the Happy Rotter books.

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
You could try The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. BRILLIANT books :)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
Series of Unfortunate Events

barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 7:33 PM Quote
ooo YEH I forgot about those
thanks

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
Oooh yeah I'd forgotten those :)

Are they a bit too young for Anthony Horowitz? There's some light-hearted short ones which might be good to start on like this one.

mili
mili Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 8:54 PM Quote
My kids are really into Goosebumps series, but they're a bit older than yours.

barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
Thanks so much folks I've got lots of ideas for stocking fillers now.
Just watching stephen fry in america it's been such a good series

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:43 AM