Travis

Re:
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 8:16 PM Quote
Maybe zee was just made up to fit into the rhyme :)

Re:
kiwi
kiwi Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
NZ = ZED

+

J=Jay, G=Gee. I think this might be backwards for the UK though, cos no one ever understands me when I spell out things over the phone, etc. I hate my accent!

Re:
Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
Zed!!!

Re:
spid
spid Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:17 PM Quote
zed, jay, gee

Re: Re:
Joe
Joe Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:17 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
In American English dialects, its name is zee, deriving from a late 17th-century English dialectal form.

Ah yes, that good old Saxon-derived dialect we like to call... Scouse.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:20 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
In American English dialects, its name is zee, deriving from a late 17th-century English dialectal form.

Ah yes, that good old Saxon-derived dialect we like to call... Scouse.

Is that ou pronounced like Soup, or ou as in Mouse?

Re:
Joe
Joe Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:22 PM Quote
Mouse, not soup. Easy to remember as their cooking's shite and their voices are high-pitched.

Re:
varz
varz Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:34 PM Quote
z - zed, j - jiy and g - jee! :)

Re:
Joe
Joe Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
Just remembered that episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to find out what the "J" in Homer J. Simpson stands for. Turns out his full name is "Homer Jay Simpson".

Re:
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:24 PM Quote
USA- zee
J-jay
G-Jiy
:)

Re:
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:34 PM Quote
Zed and for the fucking record it's Jaye (J) the letter didn't exist in certain alphabets but it is so close to I (aye) that there can e no arguement it's not fucking Zed or Jay in this part of the world (Paisley) and that's before we even mention stuff like Daziel (Dee Ell) or Menzies (Ming-gus).

Dubz

Re:
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
I have another one unrelated to pronounciation. I dont know if this is an American thing, or an American tv thing, or just a..something other than here thing.
Do people wears shoes in their/others houses?
I would never think of leaving shoes on in someone's house unless specifically being told i should.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 11:09 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Zed and for the fucking record it's Jaye (J) the letter didn't exist in certain alphabets but it is so close to I (aye) that there can e no arguement it's not fucking Zed or Jay in this part of the world (Paisley) and that's before we even mention stuff like Daziel (Dee Ell) or Menzies (Ming-gus).

Dubz

Isn't Zed the other name for Satan ?

In West Oakland stylee , chea !

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 11:12 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I have another one unrelated to pronounciation. I dont know if this is an American thing, or an American tv thing, or just a..something other than here thing.
Do people wears shoes in their/others houses?
I would never think of leaving shoes on in someone's house unless specifically being told i should.

I think more and more it's the trend to take your shoes off when you enter someone's house. When I was growing up, people never did this. You just left your shoes on. In the past 15-20 years I think it's been the way of taking your shoes off. At least in UT anyway. I always take mine off, and I appreciate people taking theirs off when they come into my house so my carpet doesn't get all gross and dirty.

Re:
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:40 AM Quote
oh and what about this one:
check (check mark, hockey check, etc)
cheque (those things that give you money)

I know the US used check for both. what about in your land? I dont know if this is just a weird Canadian thing with the french influence.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:11 AM