Travis

Fireworks
Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:32 PM Quote
Fireworks are nothing on what I gave my boss today. A real rocket for his crap behaviour towards me the past 24 hours. I got a humble apology back, but I'm still steaming mad and completely pissed off.

Who needs outdoor entertainment tonight? Come work with me!

TBH, I'm not that keen on the whole Guy Fawkes thing. I'm a wuss, and find the whole thing a bit dangerous and scary. And, as they said on the radio last night, GF was a terrorist, so why are we celebrating terrorism?

Despite my misery guts outlook, (partly the result of a shitty day), I do hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable bonfire night, full of colour and sparkly things.

Re: Fireworks
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
I'm a bit confused about the whole Guy Fawkes thing, like you say, he was a terrorist, but I read a list of 100 Best British people (or something like that) and he was on it. So is he regarded as a hero or a terrorist? Sorry if that's a dopey question!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
I have a very basic knowledge, cos I don't really buy into it all. He tried to blow up the houses of parliament, way back in the 17th century, but failed. Depending on your viewpoint on the establishment back then, he was either hero or villain.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:53 PM Quote
Aw right, getcha, so it's all down to personal opinion really. Thanks!

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
i think it's all down to ppl just wanting to blow stuff up and reek havoc.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
Forward 400 years, and it's another commercial date in the calendar, where fireworks companies charge the earth for pretty things to burn. And how strict are they on age restrictions, I wonder? The thought of some kid getting hold of one, with or without trouble in mind, is pretty disturbing.

And I passed a supermarket today selling toffee apples for 99p each. That seems quite expensive for something that falls off next door's tree into my garden for free, plus a bit of melted down sugar, especially when you add on the cost of the filling you're going to need after you've eaten it!

Bah humbug.....I really am in a crap mood!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 5:14 PM Quote
Oh, and as for the work-related fireworks at the start of the thread, omg, the apology emails are flying in. Very humble. Very crawling. I really started something here - my grievance has spread like wildfire! (groan)

I just wish they didn't make me feel so patronised to.

Keeping to topic, I think I'll print them off and burn them later!

jambut
jambut Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 6:42 PM Quote
errr guys

sorry to rain on your parade its actually a celebration of the establishment triumphing terrorism hence the rhyme "remember, remember ....."

Also why when you do penny for the guy your meant to burn it on your bomfire. If people still have fires anymore.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
jambut wrote:
sorry to rain on your parade its actually a celebration of the establishment triumphing terrorism

It's ok. That's what I said:

Tonie wrote:
He tried to blow up the houses of parliament, way back in the 17th century, but failed.

My kitties are looking pretty terrorised at the moment, listening to armageddon outside.....

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
They have Guy Fawkes in NZ, but I only ever vaguely knew the details... was just a cool night for fireworks and being able to stay up late :)

Reading briefly into the details, I don't think it's simply about one man trying to blow up parliament (there were actually 13 men involved directly) and they look like they had their reasons.. slightly insane ones...

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
Essentially, it was about a group of radical Catholics who attempted to blow up the heart of a Protestant Democracy. There's a brilliant text on the BBC History website which explains what the consequences of it succeeding would have been (namely no Civil War, thus no real democracy today).

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
Damn it. My posts always come like my drinks; in doubles.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 10:00 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
Essentially, it was about a group of radical Catholics who attempted to blow up the heart of a Protestant Democracy. There's a brilliant text on the BBC History website which explains what the consequences of it succeeding would have been (namely no Civil War, thus no real democracy today).

That sounds about right, though I don't like how historians like to guess at would have happened, who knows things could have been better? Or worse, whatev. The reaction was pretty freaky, pegs not being hung drawn and quartered...

varz
varz Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 10:30 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
Damn it. My posts always come like my drinks; in doubles.

Hahaha! Like it :)

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 11:46 PM Quote
perfect way to describe life in the us at the moment "full of colour and sparkly things", hey don't let your boss get you down, i'm sure that he will get his in the end, they always do

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:54 AM