POP

Re: Dear american boardies
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 12:50 AM Quote
Detroit is tearing this nation apart

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:03 AM Quote
people people people....it's soda, not pop.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:04 AM Quote
Yeah. It's pop. Sorry Ric. And the Z is pronounced! It's more fun that way, maZZZn.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:08 AM Quote
Meridith wrote:
people people people....it's soda, not pop.

you heard her , it's a SODA !

I'm going to buy a soda now to chill out with

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:54 AM Quote
but is the Z pronounced zed?

spid
spid Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 8:40 AM Quote
funny thread ! Fizzy pop not soda, al-yoo-mini-um, ise not ize, colour not color etc Good choices through America and what a funny letter!

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:02 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
POP

I know I am late into this conversation but you call it pop in Canada, too? I thought it was only in Ohio. And is it ok to refer to them as soft drinks? Or is it not cool? I heard people calling it soda pop, is it completely a no-no? And why would anybody drink anything other than (diet) coca cola? Then, even if they do, can we refer to it simply as coke? As in I will go and get a coke. Does coke refer to Coca Cola only or would some people think of pepsi when you say coke? Or if you want pepsi do you say pepsi, not coke? Totally confused.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:17 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POP

I know I am late into this conversation but you call it pop in Canada, too? I thought it was only in Ohio. And is it ok to refer to them as soft drinks? Or is it not cool? I heard people calling it soda pop, is it completely a no-no? And why would anybody drink anything other than (diet) coca cola? Then, even if they do, can we refer to it simply as coke? As in I will go and get a coke. Does coke refer to Coca Cola only or would some people think of pepsi when you say coke? Or if you want pepsi do you say pepsi, not coke? Totally confused.

In Texas , anything with bubbles is called a coke

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POP

pop is the generally used phrase. Sometimes menus or something will say "soft drink" but no one actually says that, and as far as i know no one says "soda/soda pop" (maybe out West or something. I havent taken a nation wide poll). I generally say "coke" if i am refering to coke, and "pepsi" if I am refering to pepsi, but i like coke better, so if i dont know which one they serve i say "Coke, or whichever one you have."
pops is also slang for beers. Generally amoung 50 year old aging hockey players. "Wanna go out for some pops after the game?"

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:30 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POP

1. You can refer to them as "soft drinks" only when making the distinction that you are not serving alcohol. Like you could say, "Come over for a barbecue tonight. We'll have plenty of beer, but there will be soft drinks for the kids."

But you wouldn't say, "I'd like a soft drink, please."

2. Saying the complete "soda pop" sounds old fashioned. Like the 1950's. Say "pop" since you are in Ohio.

3. People would drink something other than Diet Coke because diet pop has a weird taste and I avoid artificial sweeteners. Bleh!

4. In Ohio, Coke refers only to Coca-Cola. Texas has their weird way of calling everything that fizzes a coke. In Ohio, you specify Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7-Up or whatever.

5. If you are in a restaurant, they will serve ONLY Coca-Cola products or ONLY Pepsi products. If you ask for a Coke in a a Pepsi place, they will give you Pepsi. If you ask for Pepsi in a Coca-Cola place, they will give you Coke. That is interchangeable since they are both colas and you really have no choice. But it's not a big deal to most people.

Welcome to wonderful world of "pop" culture in the midwest!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:38 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
sebnemy wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POP

1. You can refer to them as "soft drinks" only when making the distinction that you are not serving alcohol. Like you could say, "Come over for a barbecue tonight. We'll have plenty of beer, but there will be soft drinks for the kids."

But you wouldn't say, "I'd like a soft drink, please."

2. Saying the complete "soda pop" sounds old fashioned. Like the 1950's. Say "pop" since you are in Ohio.

Welcome to wonderful world of "pop" culture in the midwest!

In Ontario (im not going to speak for Canada as a whole. there are too many of us) you would say "we have pop for the kids"
I agree, soda pop does sound like it is from 1950. I'll put on my poodle skirt and bobby socks if i want soda pop at the Sadie Hawkins dance.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:50 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Generally amoung 50 year old aging hockey players. "Wanna go out for some pops after the game?"

they say soda in the western part of CA ? What do they say in Alaska ?

th74
th74 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:37 PM Quote
I'm way late in this discussion, but here in Minnesota we call it pop, too.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Generally amoung 50 year old aging hockey players. "Wanna go out for some pops after the game?"

they say soda in the western part of CA ? What do they say in Alaska ?

are you asking me about Western Canada or is this a statement? There is a question mark, but i already said i dont know, so i am confused.
And im pretty sure ive never been to Alaska and I'm pretty sure its part of your country, not mine. Maybe you should give Palin a call and ask her. She has nothing better to do today

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:14 AM