Travis

Re: voting
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:14 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Oh, and Kristy...I did get my free Starbucks, lol.

good job! Vote and then stick it to the man by getting free stuff.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 2:52 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Oh, and Kristy...I did get my free Starbucks, lol.

good job! Vote and then stick it to the man by getting free stuff.

Heck yeah. :P

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:24 AM Quote
Obama Won XD

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 6:14 AM Quote
WooHoo Obama is PRESIDENT!

i have been watching tv the whole morning(i live in singapore and it's already the 5th nov here in the afternoon) and was ecstatic when it was finally announced that Obama won.

He deserved it!His victory speech was so uplifting,inspiring and believable!!Thank u to all the americans for voting for Obama coz finally the CHANGE has come to America and the world=)

It was great to be able to see that defining historic moment unfolding right in front of me..

akanksha
akanksha Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 7:20 AM Quote
frandougeil wrote:
WooHoo Obama is PRESIDENT!

i have been watching tv the whole morning(i live in singapore and it's already the 5th nov here in the afternoon) and was ecstatic when it was finally announced that Obama won.

He deserved it!His victory speech was so uplifting,inspiring and believable!!Thank u to all the americans for voting for Obama coz finally the CHANGE has come to America and the world=)

It was great to be able to see that defining historic moment unfolding right in front of me..

I've been watching it too, his speech was great!

Though I also felt McCain's concession speech was very gracious and warm. It's one thing to loose an election, but to face it and concede it with some humility and balance, that's challenging. I support Obama all the way but I respect the way his opponent handled the loss admirably.

Anyway yay Obama! :)

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 8:35 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
Also, it's great to see polling stations queued out the door isn't?! It's restoring my faith in the politics of the western world. That maybe we aren't a world of apathy, and that people do care and genuinely want to make a difference and affect change.

Phew. I'm getting all emotional!

Seems Barak agrees with me:

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America.

I got all emotional again when I heard that.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:18 AM Quote
'big sigh of relief!'

it feels the world is a better place today ! :)

akanksha
akanksha Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:31 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
Moray wrote:
Also, it's great to see polling stations queued out the door isn't?! It's restoring my faith in the politics of the western world. That maybe we aren't a world of apathy, and that people do care and genuinely want to make a difference and affect change.

Phew. I'm getting all emotional!

Seems Barak agrees with me:

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America.

I got all emotional again when I heard that.

It's enough to get anyone with heart to get emotional. That was great...

hburke21
hburke21 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 12:43 PM Quote
YAY!!!!!

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:01 PM Quote
we talked about it here in Zürich at the university...(during boring lessons...)

although it's clear Obama is the winner people still don't trust those results..well maybe they trust those results but what freaked me out was, that a lot of people think that Obama's not gonna make it into the white house. That he's gonna be attacked or anything else - just before he can actually start - well - anything...

how is it in America - if so- what would happen? Would McCain be the vice-candidate? .....
Seems I'm a bit naive not knowing such things...

here we have like 7 presidents - one is the head of the other ones - but that changes like every year...seems to work. (just not this year..)

What was also discussed and gave me even a heavier head was the point of religion.

Our (well Germany's) most famous and serious reporter did a docu in the US concerned voting and religious beliefs...

But shouldn't those things be strictly seperated from each other? So this reporter said something like: for lots of people in America it politics doesn't really matter - what actually matters is the belief in God of the new candidate for president...that was quite a shock to hear...

hburke21
hburke21 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:16 PM Quote
God forbid anything happens to Obama...the chain of command goes:
1. Vice-President Joe Biden
2. Speaker of the House of Representatives
3. President Pro Tempore of the Senate
4. Secretary of State
5. Secretary of the Treasury

It does go further than that but it has never gotten past Vice-president in our history...i don't believe.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 1:23 PM Quote
I just read something that I never thought of before. That I think is more progressive than the fact that a black man was voted president of the US for the first time (which i hope soon is no longer an issue. I hope that 20, 30 years from now, people look back and question how this was ever an issue, like how it seems ridiculous that Kennedy was questioned for being Catholic).
It is also the first time that the US, in a time of war, has elected an anti-war president.
There is hope...

edit: I just read that Prop 8 in Cali is too close to call right now, but it looks like it will pass, overturning gay marriage rights. Hopefully in 20, 30 years, this will be seen as ridiculous as well.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 5:18 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

What was also discussed and gave me even a heavier head was the point of religion.

Our (well Germany's) most famous and serious reporter did a docu in the US concerned voting and religious beliefs...

But shouldn't those things be strictly seperated from each other? So this reporter said something like: for lots of people in America it politics doesn't really matter - what actually matters is the belief in God of the new candidate for president...that was quite a shock to hear...

Well, if you were really hard-core into your religion, and there was a candidate who believed the same things you did, wouldn't you want him/her to lead you? Religious views are the same as political views. If a candidate believes the same things you do (religious or otherwise) then you're inclined to vote for him/her. Also, the US was founded on Christian principles, and I think that that is still really important to a lot of people. But I also think that it is an easy out for people who are too lazy to research the candidates.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 1:47 AM Quote
noreply9 wrote:
I am a 22 year old college student from GA, and no one in my family is any where near rich and I voted for McCain.

That's brave of you for being honest here.

noreply9
noreply9 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:07 AM Quote
Thats kind of sad when you're considered brave for admitting who u vote for. 46% of the people voted that way too, and in my home state, over 60%. Its nothing to be ashamed of, think if it was reversed and McCain would have won. No one would have been chastized (on this board at least) for voting for Obama, even if he didnt win. Why should i feel i have to hide anything. Im American and I did a democratic thing by voting with my gut. theres nothing wrong with that.

Pages Previous 1...5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:56 PM