Travis

Re: voting
noreply9
noreply9 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:01 AM Quote
I did an absentee ballot, and I voted for McCain, Ill be glad when its all over with though. Ive never seen so many fights break out because of differing opinions. Come on people, its America! We're allowed to formulate our own thoughts and opinions.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:04 AM Quote
I'm argentinian, and I prefer Obama all the way, but I'm not sure it'll be the huge difference everyone says it'll be, to be honest. At least for the rest of the world, judging by the debates I've seen.
But anyway, I hope Obama wins tomorrow!!!

And about the "american" debate, I agree with Jesús. I'm American. America is a continent and Argentina is part of it, therefore, I'm American. Just like Spanish, French, German, etc. people are European.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:07 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
We kinda hijaked this thread, didnt we? Like arguing with you Jesus, lol.

*extands hand*

and Nikki, Im with you, my boardie twin. I understood.
This got more heated than our normal hockey debates! lol

haha finally, i think i could make this clearer before, look, just for final opinion if you let me, is the last time i talk about this i promise haha. With other words, look, Mexico a long time ago was called "United States of Mexico" nos it's just called Mexico, and we are Mexicans. now the USA "United States of America" yes, they're Americans, what was actually the point was about people saying "i'm going to America" and even in a Mexican movie i see "let's go to America" and i said "but you're in America..." well, now let's talk about Obama haha, we hijaked actually.

*extands hand* it was just a little arguing, nothing personal, you still very cool ;)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:12 AM Quote
i think this might also be a geographical thing, because no one here would say they are American, but i guess as Juli said, people there would say they are.
we are all right.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:21 AM Quote
yes, actually i'm not saying that people from USA called "Americans" is wrong, 'cause as i said that "united states of america" it would be more difficult for us to called them "unitedstatevian" haha, though i even think we are all Americans, and though my point was about whole america, if you say "i'm going to America" lots of people use it referin only as the USA, when people here in America say "I'm going to Europe" yeap, but where in Europe are you going? France, Italy, Spain? that was all my point :) i think is clrearer now, and as you say, i think we are all right, so nothing to argue :) haha this was really a debate, starting as arguing but i'm glad it got clearer ;)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:23 AM Quote
I'm Mexican and I can't vote, but I hope Obama wins tomorrow.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

And about the "american" debate, I agree with Jesús. I'm American. America is a continent and Argentina is part of it, therefore, I'm American. Just like Spanish, French, German, etc. people are European.

Yes, I agree with you Juli. Also I think is a matter of differences on languages, I mean, in Spanish doesn't sound very good (at least not to me) to call an inhabitant of the USA, an American, so we call them "estadounidense" instead of "americano". That's what I think Jesús was trying to explain, right Jesús? Hope I got it right xD.

Edit: but since we're speaking/writing in English here, and it seems to be a rule to call Americans to the Americans I guess we have to call them like that. Yep, is pointless to argue about this, we will always disagree xD. So in English they are Americans, in Spanish they're not :o).

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:24 AM Quote
I think it just boils down to the fact that people you know say "Americans", people i know say "North Americans."

what a ridiculous pointless debate, lol.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:27 AM Quote
bogusblue wrote:
I'm Mexican and I can't vote, but I hope Obama wins tomorrow.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Yes, I agree with you Juli. Also I think is a matter of differences on languages, I mean, in Spanish doesn't sound very good (at least not to me) to call an inhabitant of the USA, an American, so we call them "estadounidense" instead of "americano". That's what I think Jesús was trying to explain, right Jesús? Hope I got it right xD.

yes, haha, thanks! i think in most part of LatinAmerica we called them "Estadounidense" it's very rare for us to called them "Americano"

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:28 AM Quote
Haha, you're right Kristy xD.

I agree with Almond, it's a geographical but also a language thing. The word in English to call US citizens is "american", in Spanish is "estadounidense" (Estados Unidos = United States), not "americano".

But we all understand what we're talking about, so it's ok xD.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:32 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I think it just boils down to the fact that people you know say "Americans", people i know say "North Americans."

what a ridiculous pointless debate, lol.

very pointless, 'cause i think now is more than regional thing. I was on Canada once, but never knew how they called people from the US, or themselves. Thanks for clearing that. People from LatinAmerica called USA "estadounidense"
So the point was that actually haha, that was why the argue began XD, 'cause we know different things. Glad to clear this, so, another *hands shaking* haha

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:35 AM Quote
where were you in Canada? (continuing to hijak the thread...but in a nice way)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:36 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

*extands hand*

What? Hockey??

Just kidding. I won't turn this into a hockey thread. But that's just because I don't wanna make Fran mad. It's his thread, lol.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:40 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
where were you in Canada? (continuing to hijak the thread...but in a nice way)

(haha it's grreat) I was on Montreal. Was really great to be there. Though, it was winter, and was freeeeeeezing XD. there was a lot of people of everywhere, I met some turkish, French, and asiatics people. I would like to visit other places in Canada but in spring, I was about to going to Ottawa, but the visit was canceled :(

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:45 AM Quote
Montreal is a gorgeous city! But you are right, soooo cold! my best friend is living there for the next 2 years so it gives me an excuse to go.
It's a shame your trip to Ottawa for cancelled. It's my second home. I lived there for 4 years. Your spring plan sounds like a great idea. Wait until the snow melts! Or just go to the west coast in the winter. it doesnt get very cold there.

Hahaha, Nikki, we CANNOT turn another thread into a hockey thread. I think we are THIS close to being kicked off the general chat side!

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:45 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

*extands hand*

What? Hockey??

Just kidding. I won't turn this into a hockey thread. But that's just because I don't wanna make Fran mad. It's his thread, lol.

So you was about to play a dirty hockey game heh...haha just joking XD, the debate is ended good. Maybe Fran would say "what a fool, pah!" but he would enojy a little reading XD

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:56 PM