Travis

'unpopular' Travis songs you love
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:01 PM Quote
The Paperclips thread got me thinking on this.

You look on the "least favourite Travis songs" etc threads and there are some regular suspects. Paperclips. Dear Diary. Peace the F*ck Out. Was wondering if anyone was brave enough to stick two fingers up to the rest of us and announce your undying love for one of these songs?! lol.

I'll start. Guess I should really!

I LOVE DEAR DIARY.

It was so long since I'd listened to it that I'd started to jump on the bandwagon on this one. But a few weeks ago it came up on random on my mp3 player and instead of skipping it, I listened and realised what a lovely song it is. Drips with atmosphere, lovely melody, something quite deep and personal about it. Ever since that moment I've been a reconfirmed fan, one of my favourite tracks on The Invisible Band and a good foil coming straight after the catchy cheeriness of Sing.

From now on, anyone who criticises DD WILL be shot. :)

Re: 'unpopular' Travis songs you love
Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:28 PM Quote
I've never had a problem with Dear Diary personally. I suppose it doesn't stand out as something brilliant on it's own due to it's short length and it's more subtle and less explosive in nature compared with the songs it's sandwhiched between. Beautiful segue between Sing and Side.

I'm trying to think of the most exceptionally unpopular song I'm big on.

Probably WALKING DOWN THE HILL. It's really quite left-field for Travis, has a haunting quality about it.

I'm also a massive fan of COLDER, which I seem to never read about on here. Probably in my top 5 Travis songs to be honest.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
I have to admit, I've always said Dear Diary was one of my least favourite Travis songs but I listened to it recently and really liked it. It certainly has loads of atmosphere.

One song that doesn't seem to excite others than much but I love is She's So Strange. Amazing guitars, awesome ambient vocals at the end, and just a generally cool vibe. I wish they kept the middle guitar bit in from the Glass Onion version though...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
agree, I adore Colder.

Especially the begining of it.

leticia
leticia Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:45 PM Quote
I LOVE DEAR DIARY!!! It's one of my favourites...

I wasn't too keen on PAPERCLIPS but I as I said before, I'm starting to loving it.

I don't know which other song is not popular, but PEACE THE F*** OUT it's great too...aahahahaa.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 1:52 PM Quote
Totally agree about Walking Down The Hill. Very different for Travis, but these days is probably my favourite song off 12 Memories, definitely one of the most interesting. Love Some Sad Song too, hidden behind it.

Colder & She's So Stange are example of 2 I just don't really 'get' however much I listen to them.

mayfly
mayfly Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
Last Train is the song that I've listened to most among all Travis songs but it's always listed at the top of the "Your Least Favourite Songs". hehe~

mili
mili Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:14 PM Quote
mayfly wrote:
Last Train is the song that I've listened to most among all Travis songs but it's always listed at the top of the "Your Least Favourite Songs". hehe~

Last Train has always been one of my favourites.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:28 PM Quote
I know quite a few people have said they don't like The Great Unknown and yet it's one of my favourite b-sides.

Great idea, struggling to think of one though. I like Paperclips. Though it seems to be their most popular song now! lol

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
I have always loved Dear Diary and Paperclips, it's great to see them mentionned more often now.

sakuras
sakuras Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 3:20 PM Quote
Dear Diary is a wonderful song and my favorite B-side is The Sea such a "soft" atmosphere!!

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
The Cage.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 4:03 PM Quote
I second The Cage. Beautiful song.

Also:

Out in Space
Last Train
She's so Strange
Indefinitely
Walking Down the Hill

turner150990
turner150990 Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
the kinda hidden track at the end of new amsterdam on the boy with no name, dont know the name of it but its very catchy

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 4:32 PM Quote
I love The Cage too. Always loved it. :)

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:25 PM