Re: interview FaceCulture
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:33 PM Quote
Brilliant. Thanks very much. :)

akanksha
akanksha Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
Oh, awesome! I have a thing for relatively long interviews. Thanks so much <3

Edit: Am I imagining things or does Fran blow a little kiss(...that's what it looked like) after yawning at the start of the interview? Lol!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
Wow! Amazing interview! Thanks for posting. This was really great to listen to...it's helping me get through this busy day at work.

I think my favorite part is when Fran compared Travis' decision not to sign with a record company like floating away on a little rescue boat as the Titanic is sinking. I always love the way Fran explains things, lol...guess that's what makes him the songwriter he is.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Aaah this is a nice interview! Fran does seem a bit tired and I think he says "sorry" for yawning at the beginning.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
Love it when room service knocks as well, haha!

Fran did a really nice job on "Friends" by the way. : )

akanksha
akanksha Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:16 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I always love the way Fran explains things, lol...guess that's what makes him the songwriter he is.

Yes, yes, my sentiments exactly!!

I love how he creates beautiful metaphors sometimes - he's compared songs to fireworks, making music to digging in an oilfield(if I remember correctly...!), and um, lots of other stuff I can't remember. But yeah, the way he explains things. Really nice.

And his bewildered expression at room service!

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
The eye on OTJS is the window to the soul!!
Some really lovely comments during this interview - definately worth a listen :-)

mili
mili Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:30 PM Quote
Thanks, lovely interview!

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 6:53 PM Quote
akanksha wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I always love the way Fran explains things, lol...guess that's what makes him the songwriter he is.

Yes, yes, my sentiments exactly!!

I love how he creates beautiful metaphors sometimes - he's compared songs to fireworks, making music to digging in an oilfield(if I remember correctly...!), and um, lots of other stuff I can't remember. But yeah, the way he explains things. Really nice.

And his bewildered expression at room service!

I loved it when he talked about choo choo trains in Belgum! Then when the final train went passed he went f**king trains.. I need to write a song about f**king trains! lol

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 7:04 PM Quote
Aw, this was great to watch! Great interview. Thanks so much for posting the link. Friends was quite lovely too. :D

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
Thanks for the link.

I want to be able to play Friends but it looks really tricky... :/

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:53 AM Quote
so i watched the interview from last year, and Fran said that while compiling TBWNM, he really wanted New Amsterdam and no one else did, and that he did not want Eyes Wide Open but everyone else did. well, i must agree w/ everyone else cuz New Amsterdam is my least favorite song on the album (i am glad it is at the end cuz i usually turn the album off right before) and Eyes Wide Open is one of my favs on that album.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:41 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:
so i watched the interview from last year, and Fran said that while compiling TBWNM, he really wanted New Amsterdam and no one else did, and that he did not want Eyes Wide Open but everyone else did. well, i must agree w/ everyone else cuz New Amsterdam is my least favorite song on the album (i am glad it is at the end cuz i usually turn the album off right before) and Eyes Wide Open is one of my favs on that album.

Yeah, it was very interesting to hear about how they chose which songs were going to go on album No. 5 and which ones almost made it/didn't make it. Fran's right, sometimes that reporter asks really out-there questions, but every once in a while he'll ask a great one that you've never heard the answer to before. I'd like to hear the same question asked for Ode, but I supposed this album was different because it was done so quickly. They didn't have 2 years worth of song to go off of.

I like New Amsterdam, it's a nice song, but I don't think it's a great album-closer. I always thought "Sailing Away" should have made the album. Like Dougie said, it's a very eclectic album, so I think both work on The Boy, but "Sailing Away" is a better closer. Dougie said everyone else was pulling for "You Bring Me Down"...which is one of my favorite B-Sides. LOVE that song. I think it would have worked better as the final song as well...it's got this great cinematic quality to it, I don't know why, but every time I hear it, I think it should be in a movie. And yes, I'm so glad that the rest of the guys lobbied for "Eyes Wide Open"...probably my favorite song off The Boy...tied with "My Eyes". :)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:58 PM