Travis

Re: user/screen names
Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
irenesfor wrote:
It's the mix of my name and surnames: Irene Espejo Fortea
irenesfor... very simple!

lemme see, if i did that, i would be... elijeber
i like it! i think ur onto something there ;)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:09 PM Quote
lets see. I would be...
Krislymar.

odd. But not that much different from my name, actually.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:55 PM Quote
No cool story behind mine...just the name my parents gave me. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Darran wrote:
minnmess wrote:
What does Dannar stand for than?

Then?

That's all down to Nikki's bad spelling.

*ahem* It was a typo, not bad spelling. ^.^

And Kristy...great hockey player? Yes. Best leader? Hmmm...I think Stevie Yzerman has him beat. But that would be a never-ending debate between us, lol!

PS: Wings won again last night! Woop! They're going to visit W. at the White House today with the Cup.

Erg! Im forever getting than and then wrong, even when i stop and logically think about it! Now let's move on from the fact that I can't spell, have horrible grammer, and can't type due to my long nails (or what my friends refer to as "my talons").
Haha, Nikki you know what it is funny. I actually had this writen, but then deleted it: Ya, Nikki, I said it! Whatcha gonna do about it? lol. I have Stevie at #2 if that helps"

While I greatly respect the leadership abilities of Yzerman, no one can match that of Mark Messier. It is what he is known for (besides his bald head). He is "The Captain." 'nough said! 6 Stanley Cups. Only person to captain 2 different teams to the Cup. And kick ass Lays chip commericals (right. that hasnt nothing to do with leadership, but...hilarious!)

ps- I wouldnt want to meet W at the White House. Hope he doesnt put the cup upside down like Dep Lepperd though. Actually, I hope they don't let him touch it. Did he pronounce "Yzerman" really horribly one time?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet Bush either. I honestly can say I wouldn't shake the man's hand if I met him.

They're both great players and it's silly to compare them, really, because they're both so great- two of the best ever. What's special about Steve Yzerman to me is that he played his entire NHL career with the Red Wings and led them to three Stanley Cup championships. He's the longest-serving captain of a single team in North American major league sports history and his nickname is also "The Captain." His number 19, which now hangs in the rafters at Joe Lewis Arena, even has a "C" on it. He's had to carry the team on his back so many times and set such a great example of leadership throughout his career, on and off the ice. He selflessly changed his style of play from a scoring machine into a two-way player to better the team and often played on one leg due to a knee injury early in his career that never fully healed. Many said he'd never be able to play again when he underwent a knee realignment surgery in 2003, but he surprised everyone and came back to play another three years, earning him the the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for perseverance, just one of the many awards he won throughout his career.

I'd have to say that the Selke Trophy (which Stevie won in 2000) is probably my favorite of all the hockey awards. I have a lot of respect for two-way players (like Yzerman was and now Zetterberg and Datsyuk) who can score, but back up their teammates and aren't just showoffs like Sidney Crosby. It's not easy to be a defensive forward.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
you are right. We are never going to agree, lol
BUT, we both respect both players, so i think we can agree to disagree.
(and while i totally respect and admire that Yzerman played for one team for his whole career, it's hard to use that as a measuring tool, since a lot of times it's out of the players control. Even Gretzky played for 4 teams. the day Gretzky was 'sold' from Edmonton is burned in many peoples memories. BUT, like i said. I think its really cool and wish it happened more often. It is so rare in the modern game.)

agree to disagree, boardie twin? *extends hand*

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:17 PM Quote
I'm originally from Paisley in Scotland but moved to Dublin for work in November 2000, We were gonna get pissed and party for 3 months and then head home... I'm still here. A few of the old boardies shortened it to ScotsDub then to Dubz or Dubs, which why I still sign my posts "Dubz"

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:32 PM Quote
I picked mine cause it's a fuckin cool guitar that I yearned for for decades .

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
We were gonna get pissed and party for 3 months and then head home... I'm still here.

hahaha, guess it's just that great to stay, huh? i visited dublin last month, and it really is a nice city. never been to Paisley though, so i can not compare....

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:47 PM Quote
my "real" name is Lilian -> Lili/Lily -> 10 years ago, a friend decided to put a second l in it. Boring.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:50 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

I've often meant to ask you what it's for since your name isn't ric.

Mine is because I am weird and I'm a mom.

I've always been told I'm weird but I've also always taken it as a compliment. I've been compared to Phoebe on "Friends." People say I'm not that flighty or ditzy but you definitely can never be sure what's going to come out of my mouth.

Normal = snoozefest. Even if I'm doing seemingly normal things (like being married and having kids and a house and blah blah blah) I always feel confident that I'm doing it on my terms and not because it's what is expected of me. So I guess by normal I mean conform or do something out of a compulsion instead of desire. That indeed is a snoozefest.

I especially have been told I'm weird since having kids because I still go out to concerts and things like that. People have even said, "but you're a mother now!" (And???)

But I also am on the PTA and enjoy baking a whole whole lot. So both groups think I'm weird because I don't fit completely into either world.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
Eledh is just my name. :P
It's elvish and it means Star. My mum was a bit of a Tolkien Freak. XD

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:

How do you pronounce it? That's so awesome by the way...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I've often meant to ask you what it's for since your name isn't ric.

Mine is because I am weird and I'm a mom.

I've always been told I'm weird but I've also always taken it as a compliment. I've been compared to Phoebe on "Friends." People say I'm not that flighty or ditzy but you definitely can never be sure what's going to come out of my mouth.

Normal = snoozefest. Even if I'm doing seemingly normal things (like being married and having kids and a house and blah blah blah) I always feel confident that I'm doing it on my terms and not because it's what is expected of me. So I guess by normal I mean conform or do something out of a compulsion instead of desire. That indeed is a snoozefest.

I especially have been told I'm weird since having kids because I still go out to concerts and things like that. People have even said, "but you're a mother now!" (And???)

But I also am on the PTA and enjoy baking a whole whole lot. So both groups think I'm weird because I don't fit completely into either world.

While I cant relate to the mommy stuff, I totally agree: Normal=boring! I never want to be normal, or have normal friends. And if i ever decide to have children (and someone please look out for those kiddies...any child of mine is likely to need a lot of therapy)...I hope to be able to maintain some sorta life, like you have done! Concerts and hockey games, etc arent going away just because I (might) have children. I think the world will be a better place if i dont procreate, however.

Ric, what is your name? I thought your name was Ric, lol.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Eledh wrote:

How do you pronounce it? That's so awesome by the way...

I've been wondering where "Eledh" derives from, looks kind of Old English, but Tolkien never came to my mind :)

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
Mine's simple : my real name is Debbie and the French always pronounce it deebee plus DB are my initials!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:21 AM