Travis

Re: The
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Fran wrote:
No. Not number 2. Look at the lyrics in Chinese Blues. He's saying "It's the gun in your back, it's the heart attack, it's the way you look back before you step out in time to see the number of the bus that's running you down"
What is he saying??
The last line of is "There was nobody keeping him here"
It's all in the lyrics.
This is turning into English class...or Scottish class
Maybe have a look at the poem Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Fran. I don't remember home work being this fun? ;) I'm really going to study hard Mr. Healy. :) Thanks for the tips.

What a brown nose. lol

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:01 PM Quote
MoreThanMe wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Fran wrote:
No. Not number 2. Look at the lyrics in Chinese Blues. He's saying "It's the gun in your back, it's the heart attack, it's the way you look back before you step out in time to see the number of the bus that's running you down"
What is he saying??
The last line of is "There was nobody keeping him here"
It's all in the lyrics.
This is turning into English class...or Scottish class
Maybe have a look at the poem Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Fran. I don't remember home work being this fun? ;) I'm really going to study hard Mr. Healy. :) Thanks for the tips.

What a brown nose. lol

I'd be a teacher's pet too if Mr. Healy was my English Professor. :P *hands Fran an apple*

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
i think i figured out Chinese Bules. not sure.
J.Smith is dead and on his way to heaven, thats why in the last verse "And he watched as the lights came on below" he saw the light. And like Fran said "There was nobody keeping him here" (here = Earth)

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:13 PM Quote
oh my GOD, you're crazy! how much TIME do you have, people?

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
Kimmy256 wrote:
i think i figured out Chinese Bules. not sure.
J.Smith is dead and on his way to heaven, thats why in the last verse "And he watched as the lights came on below" he saw the light. And like Fran said "There was nobody keeping him here" (here = Earth)

But if he was going up to heaven, then the song J. Smith would be a continuation Chinese Blue's you would've thought... but Fran said it isn't the second song. It seems to me that songs like Something Anything and Song To Self are before J. Smith since they're about his loneliness and struggle to find something worth living for. 'By the time you hear this I'll be gone' perhaps means he has suicide on his mind by this point? Although maybe he has suicide on his mind on every song... he's a miserable bloke aint he? lol

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
I think Get Up is the first one back on earth (hell) but whether there is something between J Smith and that, I don't know. Chinese Blues the ways of dying are out of your control. Before you know it it's too late. He kills himself in J Smith. I think Chinese Blues is followed by Song To Self. Quite Free possibly after that. 'Free to make your mind up, free to choose your fate' and I think he does in J Smith.

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
argh. this is so confusing.
Song To Self
Something Anything
Chinese Blues
J.Smith
i thought it was Fran who said that the first song and last song are in place. Right I'm not sure??

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
I think Last Words is after Get Up. He's starting to put things right. 'rip it up and start it all again. turning all your enemies to friends'

Talking nonsense?! Haha.

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:42 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I think Last Words is after Get Up. He's starting to put things right. 'rip it up and start it all again. turning all your enemies to friends'

Talking nonsense?! Haha.

I think it was in one of the blogs, Fran said the intro and the ending songs were in the right place but the rest is mixed.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
Ok, I don’t have the album yet, but this is way too intriguing not to participate! :)

Some of you were wondering about what Fran said the first and last songs were in the story and some of you are already coming up with ideas for what’s first and last that aren’t right and it’s gonna throw you off so…Fran said in his Blog that Chinese Blues is first and BYWY is last, so that’s sorted. “The first song is the first scene and the last song is the last scene.” -Fran

Jesusaremus, you asked if Fran is always singing as J. Smith throughout the album or if there’s another character (which you were theorizing might be the girl singing in Friends). You might be on to something here because Fran did say back when he first posted the lyrics to Friends that it was written from a girl’s point of view. So, I agree with you that some songs are sung from J’s point of view, but a few may be sung from this girl’s point of view – his friend and lover. BYWY is one of the songs I HAVE heard and I thought right away that J isn’t singing this song. J is already dead and someone is singing about him and his days before, when he was young and used to sit in the sun, turn the radio on, etc. In the part where the gong comes in, this other person (probably the same girl singing on Friends) is yelling out in frustration – “If you ever need me call, you know I’ll be there when you fall, you know I will, l love you I love you..” So, she’s saying she would have been there for him, he didn’t have to kill himself and she loved him, but it’s too late…he’s gone.

That’s all I got so far…I’ll have to wait until I actually have the album to fill in the blanks, lol.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Talking nonsense?! Haha.

Well there is certainly the 'phone' reference in both songs so I can see that they're together in the chain. Where exactly I just don't know... it's mind boggling. :P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Talking nonsense?! Haha.

I think it was in one of the blogs, Fran said the intro and the ending songs were in the right place but the rest is mixed.

Yes. That's correct. Sorry. I meant was I talking nonsense. I wouldn't question anything anyone else is saying. :) If you thought that. :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
oh my GOD, you're crazy! how much TIME do you have, people?

hahaha, so true.

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
i know the character singing Friends is a girl also BYWY. but I still don't get Last words!
first i thought i was like a confession of love, but i thought it might be a suicide note. :O

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Ok, I don’t have the album yet, but this is way too intriguing not to participate! :)

Some of you were wondering about what Fran said the first and last songs were in the story and some of you are already coming up with ideas for what’s first and last that aren’t right and it’s gonna throw you off so…Fran said in his Blog that Chinese Blues is first and BYWY is last, so that’s sorted. “The first song is the first scene and the last song is the last scene.” -Fran

Jesusaremus, you asked if Fran is always singing as J. Smith throughout the album or if there’s another character (which you were theorizing might be the girl singing in Friends). You might be on to something here because Fran did say back when he first posted the lyrics to Friends that it was written from a girl’s point of view. So, I agree with you that some songs are sung from J’s point of view, but a few may be sung from this girl’s point of view – his friend and lover. BYWY is one of the songs I HAVE heard and I thought right away that J isn’t singing this song. J is already dead and someone is singing about him and his days before, when he was young and used to sit in the sun, turn the radio on, etc. In the part where the gong comes in, this other person (probably the same girl singing on Friends) is yelling out in frustration – “If you ever need me call, you know I’ll be there when you fall, you know I will, l love you I love you..” So, she’s saying she would have been there for him, he didn’t have to kill himself and she loved him, but it’s too late…he’s gone.

That’s all I got so far…I’ll have to wait until I actually have the album to fill in the blanks, lol.

Yep I'd go with all of that. I always thought that Before You Were Young was a weird phrase though... surely before you were young is before you were born?! lol. Can someone explain that one to me...

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:46 AM