Travis

The "story" of ode to J smith
paulo
paulo Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
So Fran said that the album is like a script,and the album is the story of a day in the life of J smith.I'm interested in what people's interpretation's of what the "story" of the album is?

Re: The
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 6:02 PM Quote
I'm really looking forward to getting the album and listening to figure out the order of this story as well. :)

You may want to look over in the Travis chat...I think there was a thread about this already.

Edit- LMAO...wow. I'm losing it. This is the Travis side. *sigh*

milos
milos Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Well Fran said that J. Smith dies and goes to heaven but they don't want him there so they send him to hell where he's also not welcome. :) Then they send him back to earth because earth is hell for him. I think what happens after is that he must "learn his lesson" and make things right so that he can go to heaven. Or maybe he gets to stay on earth! :D Who knows!

I think it's interesting that the album is dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut, because i recently read Slaughterhouse-Five (after seeing Vonnegut mentioned as one of Dougie's favourite writers) and in that book the main character "travels" through time - from one moment of his life to another. And in one of the recent blogs Fran mentioned that the songs on Ode To J Smith are not in the chronological order, that they wanted "to mix it up". So maybe there's a connection there! :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 6:12 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I'm really looking forward to getting the album and listening to figure out the order of this story as well. :)

You may want to look over in the Travis chat...I think there was a thread about this already.

haha, nikki, i saw your original post, but didnt want to question it. You really are getting old! lol

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 6:18 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:

haha, nikki, i saw your original post, but didnt want to question it. You really are getting old! lol

LOL! >.< I'm such a dork. *goes to eat her cake*

paulo
paulo Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:09 PM Quote
I wonder where each song fit's into the plot?If it was a "script" but the songs where not in a chronological order then it wouldn't really be a story would it?Just a "normal" album.I think it's a great album anyway but would like to know more about the story if indeed there is one?

OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:07 AM Quote
milos wrote:
Well Fran said that J. Smith dies and goes to heaven but they don't want him there so they send him to hell where he's also not welcome. :) Then they send him back to earth because earth is hell for him. I think what happens after is that he must "learn his lesson" and make things right so that he can go to heaven. Or maybe he gets to stay on earth! :D Who knows!

I think it's interesting that the album is dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut, because i recently read Slaughterhouse-Five (after seeing Vonnegut mentioned as one of Dougie's favourite writers) and in that book the main character "travels" through time - from one moment of his life to another. And in one of the recent blogs Fran mentioned that the songs on Ode To J Smith are not in the chronological order, that they wanted "to mix it up". So maybe there's a connection there! :)

Ah, thanks, I just understood the meaning of the song.
And if there is a connection, I'm way too stupid to see it.
I'm not good at seeing invisible things... Well, wonder if by listening a hundred to the album I could hear things.

Fran
Fran Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:46 AM Quote
In the song J. Smith he dies, goes to heaven and is sent to hell. But for J, earth is hell so that's where he ends up at the end of the song.
I think it's time y'all got busy with your personal story lines.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
Where do you think J. Smith fits in? That's important in figuring out the meaning of the story. I don't quite understand the whole not being wanted in heaven or hell thing... but maybe if we figure out what comes before and after, it might make sense. Because if they're calling it a dark fairy tale or whatever, it must have at least some meaning.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:08 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
In the song J. Smith he dies, goes to heaven and is sent to hell. But for J, earth is hell so that's where he ends up at the end of the song.

So do you think maybe like he was sent back to earth, which is hell for him, because he wasn't ready to die and thus he wasn't ready for heaven, so he was sent back to earth to face life--no ducking out early? That is where Get Up could fit in.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:24 AM Quote
Fran wrote:

Thanks Fran. :)

That is probably number 2 in the story then. No? Oh... i wouldn't be able to work this out. Haha!

minsidesoutside_lds
minsidesoutside_lds Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:29 AM Quote
OHMEATPIES wrote:
[quote="milos"] Well Fran said that J. Smith dies and goes to heaven but they don't want him there so they send him to hell where he's also not welcome. :) Then they send him back to earth because earth is hell for him. I think what happens after is that he must "learn his lesson" and make things right so that he can go to heaven. Or maybe he gets to stay on earth! :D Who knows!

nice!... i wouldn't figured it out without this comment...

(still thinking)... that..perhaps.. if earth starts being heaven for us instead of hell, whatever shit happening, it would be a way to enjoy heaven before death?
(well, just thinking, don't kill me yet.. :D )

Great album, Travis!!! My favourite is "Before you were young"...

i will be there waiting
waiting for you know i will
i love you for ever
i'll never say never

but i've only got two hands
and i'll never learn to dance
i'll never get a second chance
whatever
i'll take the breath away from your sighs
and wipe the tears away from your eyes
and hope the fire never dies
inside you

and if you ever leave me come
i will be there waiting
waiting for you know i will
i love you
i love you
i love you...

L´ds. (lourdes @ argentina)

Fran
Fran Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:37 AM Quote
No. Not number 2. Look at the lyrics in Chinese Blues. He's saying "It's the gun in your back, it's the heart attack, it's the way you look back before you step out in time to see the number of the bus that's running you down"
What is he saying??
The last line of is "There was nobody keeping him here"
It's all in the lyrics.
This is turning into English class...or Scottish class
Maybe have a look at the poem Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns.
Good luck.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:45 AM Quote
We know that Before You Were Young is the last song... so... maybe the moral is (I don't know if that's the right word but...) love! Maybe J has to go back to find love and/or be loved? Because BYWY seems to be about love transcending age and death and time. And maybe also transforming death and time and age and taking away some of its power.

Edit: I keep being in the middle of typing while Fran posts! Lol, knew I should work on being a faster typer!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:00 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
No. Not number 2. Look at the lyrics in Chinese Blues. He's saying "It's the gun in your back, it's the heart attack, it's the way you look back before you step out in time to see the number of the bus that's running you down"
What is he saying??
The last line of is "There was nobody keeping him here"
It's all in the lyrics.
This is turning into English class...or Scottish class
Maybe have a look at the poem Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Fran. I don't remember home work being this fun? ;) I'm really going to study hard Mr. Healy. :) Thanks for the tips.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:38 PM