Travis

Re: The
Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
Nattasha wrote:
I was thinking in Song to Self.
Maybe this song is sung by the girl.. She just knew J. had dead and she got depressed (deeply). She asks J. if he see the light.... and wants to kill herself (she loved J. very much) and then last words comes in...

I'm pretty sure Fran has said in interviews that it's J. singing it to his girlfriend as a goodbye.

Bellringer, I was wondering about "checking notes" in the song Get Up as well...hmm. :/

Whether my theory is totally wrong or on the right track, oh well...that's just what I got out of the songs based on Fran's clues and our discussion here. This is fun for me. :O)

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
Nikki, I like your story. Maybe that's THE story ;)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
Hey Nikki, I like your storyline, it certainly fits together well.

As you and fer fer have basically said, I think Long Way Down is a song about J's hesitation and the thoughts going through his mind as he stands on the ledge of a window or a skyscraper roof etc. it's like a mental battle between his stubbornness in ending his life, and his cowardliness of not being able to quite literally take the final step. I think his parents may actually be at the scene, but I'm not sure... trying to convince him not to jump (maybe the police and everything are there too, like those typical person-trying-to-commit-suicide scenes you see on TV). I see the "they're never taking my alive" bit as a kind of childlike defiance that 'they', the police, his parents or whoever, aren't going to stop him. Yet really he knows that he's not going to go through with it, he doesn't have the guts. The tension in the song is released at the end, it gets calmer, as perhaps someone is able to take J's hand and stop him from jumping.

I don't think that it necessarily means J. Smith and Long Way Down are intermingled though (although they could be). Long Way Down could be an earlier attempt to commit suicide. The "there's a man on the street and he looks at his feet from his window" is a kinda confusing lyric, but it could mean an everyday man off the street is standing at the window of his apartment, looking downwards and daydreaming about his suicide aspiration - to jump out of that window. And not saying that I particularly think that's the correct reading, but just that it doesn't have to be connected to Long Way Down in any real way. J's death is a result of being frazzled in the bath, and that could have been ages after his 'long way down' suicide attempt.

Regarding the Quite Free thing, it's true that the padded cell concept could just be more of a metaphorical thing referring to his mental state. But what if it is a more literal thing (as well), since he may have been locked up after his suicide attempt - after his mental breakdown? You would no doubt put someone suicidal in a padded cell to stop him hurting himself. Also I think the Friends lyric "and I'm glad you're better now" could refer to all this, after they let him go and he had (at least seemingly) stabilised.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 8:32 PM Quote
Thanks for the thoughts, Nikki, you've been busy! before I start I'd like to say that I agree with most things you've said... just a few points I'm not sure about.

Your story goes very quickly around J. Smith and Long Way Down, whereas I think the dodgy mental state has been there for a while. I like Luke's interpretation of this bit.

Friends is, in Fran's words "Written from girl to boy who treats her like shit." It's one of the only Travis songs with seemingly positive lyrics but an underlying nastiness, most of the rest are the opposite. I need to think about this bit more.

Love what you said about Chinese Blues btw, it makes a lot of sense.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 8:34 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Hey Nikki, I like your storyline, it certainly fits together well.

As you and fer fer have basically said, I think Long Way Down is a song about J's hesitation and the thoughts going through his mind as he stands on the ledge of a window or a skyscraper roof etc. it's like a mental battle between his stubbornness in ending his life, and his cowardliness of not being able to quite literally take the final step. I think his parents may actually be at the scene, but I'm not sure... trying to convince him not to jump (maybe the police and everything are there too, like those typical person-trying-to-commit-suicide scenes you see on TV). I see the "they're never taking my alive" bit as a kind of childlike defiance that 'they', the police, his parents or whoever, aren't going to stop him. Yet really he knows that he's not going to go through with it, he doesn't have the guts. The tension in the song is released at the end, it gets calmer, as perhaps someone is able to take J's hand and stop him from jumping.

I don't think that it necessarily means J. Smith and Long Way Down are intermingled though (although they could be). Long Way Down could be an earlier attempt to commit suicide. The "there's a man on the street and he looks at his feet from his window" is a kinda confusing lyric, but it could mean an everyday man off the street is standing at the window of his apartment, looking downwards and daydreaming about his suicide aspiration - to jump out of that window. And not saying that I particularly think that's the correct reading, but just that it doesn't have to be connected to Long Way Down in any real way. J's death is a result of being frazzled in the bath, and that could have been ages after his suicide 'long way down' suicide attempt.

Regarding the Quite Free thing, it's true that the padded cell concept could just be more of a metaphorical thing referring to his mental state. But what if it is a more literal thing (as well), since he may have been locked up after his suicide attempt - after his mental breakdown? You would no doubt put someone suicidal in a padded cell to stop him hurting himself. Also I think the Friends lyric "and I'm glad you're better now" could refer to all this, after they let him go and he had (at least seemingly) stabilised.

Really interesting! I like all your points as well, Luke. They make sense. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:17 PM Quote
Franny has just said about Long Way Down, imagine this guy standing on the edge of a building. Will he jump? :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:21 PM Quote
Like I said recently, Fran has said fans read too much into songs sometimes. I love the theory though Nikki. :) I couldn't work anything out. lol

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:27 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Like I said recently, Fran has said fans read too much into songs sometimes.

We've digested the meat. We can quit gnawing the bone? Oh, good! I was never skilled at analyzing.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:46 PM Quote

Yeah, but you know. If you make up a riddle - you can't expect people - especially fans - not to try to solve it.

And about their songs: Well they mostly did write poweful lyrics...so - logically people try to interpret it...I mean you don't read a book - without trying to focus on what's the author's telling you....

But what he said earlier - that we should go on with our personal storylines...that's totally true. You (no one specially!!) can't give up your life for a star...you can love music - art (or dulce de leche..) or whatever - but it would be totally wrong to fall for it like crazy. You know - travel round the world - just to get an autograph - or ;) spend all time solving this riddle ;)

Of course I spent a lot of time solving it - (quite happy with this solution though). But I did like...when I was jogging - or on my way to the college..or just before sleep...
The point of enjoying other ones lifes/music/art...whatever - is having an own one. Otherwise it makes you quite sad, doesn't it? :)

So I'd say go ahead with the interpretations...but don't fall for it ;)

besides: it's quite funny reading all this stuff...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:07 PM Quote
Absolutely. I was just saying to help people who are working it out, it might be more simple than you might think, maybe. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:14 PM Quote
I guess I must be really sad then, lol! Thaaanks. No, actually, reading, writing and editing is what I do for a living, so I enjoy analyzing song lyrics, poetry, books, etc.

Ben and Kayte, Fran may have at one time said that fans read into lyrics too much, but now he's encouraging us to solve the riddle and said "it's all in the lyrics!!"...I think it's a bit different with this album and he'd probably be pleased to see that the fans are getting so into it and enjoying the songs as much as we are.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:21 PM Quote
I wasn't having a go, i was trying to help. And i'm also loving the songs, i don't think that has anything to do with it. Franny said tonight that Long Way Down is about a guy standing on the edge of a building. Will he jump, won't he? It's a long way down.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:26 PM Quote

of course :) that's why they did make a riddle, right? would be stupid not to try to solve it - ...

but he also said the thing about own storylines...

ok, it's not about what he said or not (don't wanna make him a god) - - but there is (stress that) a big difference between solving a riddle and get totally -...well..kinda wicked/spacy/freaky about it...(and doing it for a living was not what a mean...but hey kinda cool job you got yourself.. ;) Did you study English then too? I'm jus studying it...and it( interpreting old lyrics) really get's on my nerves..)
(no offence to no one ...;) I've just been waiting for 2 hours today - and had time reading some of the entries...not just here ;) and it's kinda...weird ;) )

I wonder though whether Nikis story's right...Has Fran ever said when he's going to solve this whole riddle? Although if your boyfriends being an ass (to you anyways) - would you be so damn sad?...I guess love makes you...

So goodnight everyone...hopefully no one hates me now ;) I don't mean it in a bad way. Just wanted to show you - how this looks from the outside ;)..(i love smileys...)

Sweet dreams

Nora

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:29 PM Quote
I'm all for reading into lyrics etc and Nikki and Luke and everyone else has been very clever (a lot cleverer than me) in thinking about what it might mean etc. Because my brain is very literal and i really can't look past the main words.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:54 PM Quote
I wasn't criticizing you guys, I was just...I don't know...taking permission not to analyze, I guess.

In one of my poetry classes (I was an English major) I was told by a teacher that I was short-changing the poets by not getting out of it all that the writer put into it. I thought she saw things the writers never intended. Maybe I'm just shallow. :o(

Pages Previous 1...13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:56 AM