Travis

"Travis have forgotten the good melody"
Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:02 AM Quote
This is not my opinion, but an album review in a Danish paper. Ode to J. Smith gets 3 hearts of 6. The journalist argues that although it sounds nice with all the guitars, Fran’s voice isn’t up for it. They need much more melodic tunes which fit his voice better. Quite Free, Last Words and Broken Mirror are the best songs according to him.

Re:
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 10:18 AM Quote
aww well, its only his opinion.
I bet he's refering to BYWY and frans voice. Well it'll just show you, no everyone likes that song. I do, hell its great!

Thanks for posting that

Re:
Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 10:47 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:
This is not my opinion, but an album review in a Danish paper. Ode to J. Smith gets 3 hearts of 6. The journalist argues that although it sounds nice with all the guitars, Fran’s voice isn’t up for it. They need much more melodic tunes which fit his voice better. Quite Free, Last Words and Broken Mirror are the best songs according to him.

I guess there will be a few reviews like this. This album is quite different, peeps need to get used to it. I think the more you listen to it, the more melodic it gets. apart from Get Up.

What your 'pinion by now Hanne ? :)

Re:
winatel
winatel Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 11:01 AM Quote

Hmm. Interesting.
I think Ode to J Smith is melodic enough.
It's true Ode to J Smith is different from other albums,
more rocky and has more guitar sounds, but in my opinion, still, it didn't lose Travis' beautiful melody.

Re: Re:
Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 12:08 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

I guess there will be a few reviews like this. This album is quite different, peeps need to get used to it. I think the more you listen to it, the more melodic it gets. apart from Get Up.

What your 'pinion by now Hanne ? :)

Actually, I partially agree with him, but only partially. When I first heard the album, I simply thought that Fran’s voice wasn’t strong enough for some of the tunes. However, as you say, the tunes get better the more I listen to them :o)

Re:
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 1:13 PM Quote
out of 6? what an interesting grading system

Re:
milos
milos Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 4:10 PM Quote
I think the album is full of great melodies. I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion and taste.

Re:
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
I certainly don't have a problem with Fran's voice. A couple of times on The Boy i thought he sounded a little off but no way on Ode. Totally brilliant vocals. Same with Sarah and Used To Belong. With the melody thing, i can understand and i agree a little bit. But i've said a load of times now, 6 of the songs are just amazing! :)

Re:
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 6:59 PM Quote
I think both points are complete cack, to be honest.

Fran's voice is perfect on this record. Never misses a note, perfectly suited to each song. I thought on some of TBWNN it was a bit too sugary sweet for some of the tracks. Maybe thinking of Selfish Jean especially. Hard to explain.

The melody thing is kinda half and half. Some of them are a bit flat and lack the instant 'hook in your head' radio-perfection that made the band famous, I agree. But step forward Last Words, Quite Free, Chinese Blues and BYWY and take a bow. At least these show they've still 'got it'.

Re:
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
That's a load of crap. Travis' melodies are some of the best in music. It's what their known for and best at.

BOOOO!

Re:
RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
I will be completly honest.
I am a big Travis fan, but also i considere that this is not my favorite album.

Travis is doing different things, and i dont like them at all.

Why? Travis sounds like a Indie band.
Some days ago i was thinking about the kind of music of travis.
Some places the people say that the play BRITPOP, other people say that´s SOFT ROCK.
In the shops the cds are like alternative music, in other like Indie music. What kind of music is Travis?

i fall in love when i saw my ode to j smith vinil and something anything vinyl and CD, but i think that TBWNN have best quality in all.
Indie band? Well, the sound, the videos made by themself and later the upload to youtube, the art cover, much more appariences at festivals.
I prefer 100% TBWNN and TMW albums, but Ode to J smith have a good tracks.

Re:
OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:24 AM Quote
OTJS is melodious to me.
One of their best, in my opinion.
But everyone is different. The reviews I've seen are mostly 3 out of 5 and up. Some say it's not bad, some say it's very good.

But 3 out... 6? Weird rating system... :)

Re:
Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 6:27 AM Quote
What is strange about the rating system? You can get six hearts if it's over-the-top brilliant. One heart means it's crap. Most things are rated in between. What is strange about that?

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:42 AM