Travis

Ode To J Smith at 20...
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
in the Official UK album chart. :) Nice it reached the top 20 anyway.

Re: Ode To J Smith at 20...
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
That's great!! :)

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
thats awesome, i wonder how its going to do on the US charts

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 5:56 PM Quote
The Boy got to number 4 so it isn't awesome. It's quite poor. But considering the amount of promotion, it could have been far worse.

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
I wish Travis could reach #20 in Spain, but I don't think so :(

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Well top 20 is better than nothing, but before this they've always managed top 10 so it's disappointing really. But it all depends on the promo of the next single(s) now - if we get another Why Does It Always Rain On Me effect it'll shoot up, but that's not gonna happen without a bit of effort.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 7:27 PM Quote
could have been a lot worse. A LOT worse. Well done - with so little promotion, top 20's a minor result.

Hopefully Song To Self will draw more attention to it....

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 7:34 PM Quote
It shows they have a solid fan base. Quite pleasing. But compared to previous albums, 20 is very disappointing. Though previous albums had a lot more promotion. It's ok but hopefully we'll see it do a bit better once more singles are released. :)

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:10 PM Quote
Thats an incredible posistion given that hardly anybody except hardend Travis fans will have heard a single from the album, therefore a great deal of people may not even know of Ode to J Smiths existance, untill now.

Closer (The Boy With No name) had loads of radio play plus Mr Stiller, so lots, maybe up to 10 times as many people may have known about that one.

People just need to know how good the album is, and somehow hear some of its content.

We are above Mcfly in only thier second week on the chart, with only a fraction of the people who might/would buy a Travis album, if only they knew how good it was.

Songs like Long Way Down, Last Words, Quite Free, Friends and Before You Were Young would capture a large percentage of the Radio 2 buying public if on thier playlist, of that i am sure.
That is where the sleeping Travis fans lie.
Probably 3 times as many potential fans there, who have not bought the album, because they have not heard any of it.

A show of hands at a recent Travis gig showed that only a small percentage of people there, actually bought the album.

You realy have to stand out from the crowd in todays music scene, to get noticed. J Smith does that in bucket loads.
Or play it SAFE, and take the Radio 2 route.
I don't always believe you have to be radio friendly anymore.

Thank god Travis did,n't play it safe, making this album.
Congratulations Travis.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:20 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Not bad for the 1st week, now we just need a big single release to push it right up there!! x

oflo84
oflo84 Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
Charting at 20 means like 5.000 copies? It's not too great...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:55 PM Quote
nickynooboo wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Not bad for the 1st week, now we just need a big single release to push it right up there!! x

No. I think it is bad for the 1st week. The last 2 albums have charted in the top 4 and then dropped down week by week. I would be very surprised if the album is in the top 20 next week. They should get Song To Self out as soon as possible. Catch the album before it drops too far. :)

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 9:03 PM Quote
By any means,it's a dissapointing position for a band as Travis,but as our English boardies inform,there have been tiny promotion for the new record so it's ok in these matters i guess.

Mike_Thomas
Mike_Thomas Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 8:33 PM Quote
GMS1968 - you are absolutely spot on and I completely agree with what you have written.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
Looks as if it will be outside the top 40 on only it's second week. 3,000,000 UK sales of The Man Who nearly. Over 100,000 of The Boy With No Name. Ode To J Smith will hardly reach 50,000 by the years end at this rate. The new Oasis album has sold 90,000 after 1 day. Yes, the music is the most important thing and it's a great album, but it is still sad to see this happen.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:03 PM