Travis

Re: Be honest. How many bands are better than Travis right n
joss
joss Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 2:52 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Hahah this is kinda weird...reading all this. Cos as Ben already said, it's a matter of opinion.

I love lots of bands, which I cureently listen more to than to Travis, but just because I found some new songs or my shuffle puts them into that part. order.

Like: Greg Laswell, Amy MacDonald, Collective Soul, Damien Rice, Eels, Killers, Joseph Arthur, The Verve. Tote Hosen, KOL..

though..every second track is Travis again. So for me Travis is still #1. I love some songs of other bands, but the sparkling feeling's missing.
So no :) Travis is still the best band in the world, in my opinion.

Yes, Kol and Verve are great too!:)

leticia
leticia Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 3:16 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Hahah this is kinda weird...reading all this. Cos as Ben already said, it's a matter of opinion.

I love lots of bands, which I cureently listen more to than to Travis, but just because I found some new songs or my shuffle puts them into that part. order.

Like: Greg Laswell, Amy MacDonald, Collective Soul, Damien Rice, Eels, Killers, Joseph Arthur, The Verve. Tote Hosen, KOL..

though..every second track is Travis again. So for me Travis is still #1. I love some songs of other bands, but the sparkling feeling's missing.
So no :) Travis is still the best band in the world, in my opinion.

Of course, I listen to a lot of bands besides Travis but as Nora said, no band compares with Travis :)

Oh and I love KOL and The Killers too ; )

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 4:21 PM Quote
The only band i care for and love anywhere near as much as Travis, is Muse. They are the band i listen to most at the moment and the band that excites me most at the moment. They're exhilarating and incredible and i love Muse. But Travis are still my number 1 band because they were the first band i liked and they've done more brilliant songs than any other band i like. Songs on Ode like Quite Free, Last Words, Broken Mirror, Chinese Blues and Before You Were Young added to the long list of wonderful Travis songs from before. No other band has done so many amazing b-sides as Travis and Fran inspired me to play guitar etc. Love Travis.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 4:57 PM Quote

Yeah... Travis is still my favourite band, no question about it. But I'm listening to Beirut A LOT. A LOOOOTTT. I love Beirut. But it's like Nora says. It's a refreshing new sound (well, it's not that new, but for me it is), so it's very exciting. But Travis is always there too and, like Ben, so many things that have happened in my life link me to this band, even today (like singing for an audience for the first time, making new friends through the board), and it's all part of enjoying and loving iand feeling Travis' music, and the connection between that and your everyday life. I think I'm talking too much and it hardly makes any sense. Nevermind. I'll shut up now!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 7:09 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It is a biased view. Because it's your view, your opinion. ;) Snow Patrol are brilliant, Kaiser Chiefs are not. That's what i think.

I meant biased towards Travis more than any other Band :)although my addiction probably exempts me from having an unbiased view !! ( which is a shame because it happens to be a correct one)Maybe Travis will be like Van Morrison and get their later albums appreciated 25 years later :)

To be honest though I'm not a fan of KC or SP per se but the tv programme was about 'songs' and not Bands so that is where my comments were at odds with this thread - so sorry for the confusion.!

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 7:19 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Yeah... Travis is still my favourite band, no question about it. But I'm listening to Beirut A LOT. A LOOOOTTT. I love Beirut. But it's like Nora says. It's a refreshing new sound (well, it's not that new, but for me it is), so it's very exciting. But Travis is always there too and, like Ben, so many things that have happened in my life link me to this band, even today (like singing for an audience for the first time, making new friends through the board), and it's all part of enjoying and loving iand feeling Travis' music, and the connection between that and your everyday life. I think I'm talking too much and it hardly makes any sense. Nevermind. I'll shut up now!

yaaaa exactly! It's like going out, find new things (well not so new for me either) but always return to homebase - which for me is Travis :)

Or in chemicals :) Other bands are serotonine :) Travis is dopamine :).
I went to see Killers, Kol and Oasis and we had a ball in the back. But with Travis, the heart starts to race, every need like thirst, hunger or headaches are gone, there's just them....;)

hehe junkie, hei?

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 8:00 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
The only band i care for and love anywhere near as much as Travis, is Muse. They are the band i listen to most at the moment and the band that excites me most at the moment. They're exhilarating and incredible and i love Muse. But Travis are still my number 1 band because they were the first band i liked and they've done more brilliant songs than any other band i like. Songs on Ode like Quite Free, Last Words, Broken Mirror, Chinese Blues and Before You Were Young added to the long list of wonderful Travis songs from before. No other band has done so many amazing b-sides as Travis and Fran inspired me to play guitar etc. Love Travis.

Quite agree. And i'm like you in that. Except for the fact i hate Coldplay.
But Travis are my Number one, actually is on the podium with the Gold trophy. And Muse are very close. This are the Bands that inspire me. Their songs can cheer me up when i'm down, or make me happier when i'm happy, and play with lots of feelings. And the fact that i love the way this bands can create a story, play with feelings, and make everything they want in a brilliant way.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 8:10 PM Quote
Well I certainly feel most familiar with Travis, and they've been a favourite of mine for a long time. I don't view them as being alone on some pedestal above everyone and everything else in terms of quality though. Elbow, Radiohead, Keane, Muse and others, at their best, can more than match Travis.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 8:30 PM Quote
I do have Travis and Muse on a pedestal, I mean, on the Podium, 1st Travis, 2nd Muse, don't know who's the 3rd place. But i love other bands as, Radiohead, Stereophonics (the new album is amazing!) Kasabian (their last album is one of the best of the year) The Killers, Pilot Speed, The Hoosiers, Keane, Snow Patrol, etc

alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Thu 31 Dec, 2009 1:58 AM Quote
Nell wrote:
[...] It's like going out, find new things (well not so new for me either) but always return to homebase - which for me is Travis :)

Or in chemicals :) Other bands are serotonine :) Travis is dopamine :).
I went to see Killers, Kol and Oasis and we had a ball in the back. But with Travis, the heart starts to race, every need like thirst, hunger or headaches are gone, there's just them....;)

Oh maaaan!
I wish i have just a bit of your wisdom, Nora :)

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:39 PM Quote
Hahahahahah I was just kidding..that's what I remembered from our last biology class before graduading high school.
serotonin-adrenalin-dopamin; those things make you reaaaaally happy :) and people keep telling me "they have a concious and a will" when really: these 3 kings are ruling our minds :P

elmfai
elmfai Posted Fri 01 Jan, 2010 8:12 PM Quote
Many!!! ;)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 02 Jan, 2010 12:47 PM Quote
Travis are like my favourite old t-shirt. I always come back to it and can't seem to throw it out. Too many memories and good times in that t-shirt, plus it's comfortable. But I do love all my other t-shirts and love buying new t-shirts. But usually when I feel a little homesicks or in need of comfort, I go back to the old reliable t-shirt.

Basically, Travis will always have a little place in my heart but meantime I'm always discovering new and awesome music and developing my own musical tastes.

davidbova
davidbova Posted Sat 02 Jan, 2010 4:34 PM Quote
right ok.. seriously. would this thread please fuck off and die. its a stain. its such a horribly uncessesary question, that cannot be answered.

Being fair though, its just a reflection of society. Everything has to be boxed into its little compartment and im sick of reading and listening to this kind of thing.

When you listen to good music.. .. do you think its essence was painted by numbers? 1-20? was it created by statistics? Did the musician go out on the street to canvas the people on what he should make?

Great music wasnt confined in its birth, so why should it be confined and boxed afterwards?

Music is abstract. Its ART. Its feeling. Its emotion. It should not be pigeon holed so it makes the lifes of broadcasters and journalists easier.

And its a travesty because people are missing out.

Theres a fucking world of music out there thats being ignored. And theres no excuse anymore. The internet - Myspace and spofity etc makes it SO easy to journey into the world of music.

But no we still get daft questions like this.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 02 Jan, 2010 5:09 PM Quote
There will never be a band, imo, that's better than Travis. Maybe the Beatles. But right now? None.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:24 AM