Travis

Re: Could Travis be acused of neglecting their UK fans?
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:47 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
To Alex: There is opinion. And there is fact. You claimed that they do more UK gigs than everywhere else put together. That is a fact. It is also a false fact. Wrong! Untrue! Not a matter of opinion, you simply made that up to suggest we get more than enough gigs. If that's your opinion, fine but please don't back it up with false information.

That's not what I said or what I meant, if you got me wrong. I said that Travis probably(yeah I said probably) have done more gigs in the UK than they have done elsewhere in TOTAL! I meant for as long as they've been doing gigs, not this year or the past two years. I only said that as an reason for them maybe wanting to concentrate on other countries, RIGHT NOW!

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cause I never said that it was a fact. I've never called you selfish either, so don't read in stuff that isn't there.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:04 PM Quote

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:05 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I don't think anyone here believes Ben is being xenophobic, considering he's friends with most if not all of the people who replied to this thread and we're all from different countries other than UK... Actually, I don't think anyone's being xenophobic. It's just a debate and it shouldn't be taken personally.

I don't agree with your point of view or Ben's, but it's cool that other people that agree with him start posting here.

I just wanted to clarify that thing about people being xenophobic. I think that's pushing things too far, that's all.

You may not, but earlier in the thread Ben was defending himself personally having to say he is not xenophobic.

Either way, it's a small point in the conversation. I'm just glad that I was able to redress the numbers on the pro side of Paulc's debate.

I agree also with everything Gladly wrote - launch the album with a tour, consolidate the sales with a further tour. Makes sense to me!

And for the record, this is not supposed to be a point scoring excercise, or an opportunity for fans in other countries to say "poor me, I've nver seen Travis/ only seen Travis once" (or whatever). This point is made in so many other threads, and we've read about so many gigs overseas that it doesn't need to be repeated in this thread! On this occasion it is the British fans airing a valid grievance. Agree or disagree, the stats from other countries don't hold any water in this context. It is not a competition, and they are wholly irrelevent.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:19 PM Quote
I would like to leave the discussion where it is now too, we're not going to convince each other anyway ;) I don't know why this thread stir up peoples feelings, but I think it has partly to do with the title. For example when the Argentinian fans did their little campaign they we're very humble and simply said: "Please Travis come back to Argentina". Here you start off with "accusing" Travis and defending your rights, as Travis mother-country, to see them. If it would have been a modest: "Please come back"-thread then I don't think people would have reacted as strongly.

Please forgive me if I have offended any of you in any way, Ben you know I like you and your socks!

I think only Travis can answer to weather or not this is intentional or not. Anyway I do respect your feelings!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:27 PM Quote
:) I think the question is fair because Travis used to perform here very often, used to perform on TV shows often (Ode is the only album era they've not been on Jools Holland), used to perform at all the festivals nearly every year, etc etc and suddenly none of that is happening and we have a massive decrease in gigs. That's why the question is the way it is as it honestly is something some of us here have been thinking. :)

That wasn't meant to continue the debate, only an answer to your question Alex. :)

Looking forward to putting this stuff behind us. I think it shows how passionate we are about Travis. A very good thing. :)

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:28 PM Quote
Mmm

I just think that UK fans patience will be rewarded. C'mon, at least you've seen the guys many time. I haven't.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:30 PM Quote
*smokes a huge pipe of peace*

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:36 PM Quote
*runs through the thread naked*

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:54 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
*runs through the thread naked*

Oh no, that's not the kind of pipe I was thinking of :S

Nell
Nell Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:53 PM Quote
I just think

"neglecting" is a very hard word for the fact that they missed the UK only THIS ONE YEAR (actually it's half of a year..since you had plently of shows in 2008). I mean...then lots of other countries have been "neglected" as well...and maybe it is about the selling - but maybe ppl don't really buy records anymore but download them for it is even legal in some places (CH f.i.!)...or maybe Ode was just not as successful in the UK then somewhere else - or what do I know or care...but just because they left out the UK in one lonely year I'd consider the word "neglect" as offensive..

And about this home crowd thing...have you (those who say this) been to other countries to be able to judge? To Argentina for instance? Or Korea?..and I know loooots of English ppl - who woulnd't consider themself as a "home crowd" of a scottish band...but one draws the line where one lives..is that right? Well then I draw it around The EU? Just for the sake of fun... :) America is counted as one country here as well..so surely no one minds...or better Europe :) (As we are not in the EU :) thankfully....)

(somebody get's the joke here..?)

well anyway..I find this thread more amusing than anything else...(cos i can't take it serious anymore..sorry...) so I looked up some numbers...

Maybe it all has something to do - that they're doing half as much shows than usually? Ever thought about that? Ah by the way..it's not 20 shows in the last2 years in the UK but a bit more..Orrr maybe, juuuust maybe they want others for once get as much shows as the UK did before?
True - I really think it's bad they did no gig at all there - but all this shit about "only" 20 shows in 2 years ...if they do 54 shows - 24 shows in the UK of it is rather much - and rather unfair. But no one said something back than about this...ah yes and again: this "20 shows in 2 years.."(Which is also a fact. (As I may quote) A false fact too! Wasnt' there something said about looking up the facts...?...haha..well anyway...

2009:
Total: 36
US: 13
De:6
Mx: 3
JP: 3
CH:2
CA:2
Fr:1
SK:1
KR:1
NO: 1
SP:1

2008:
Total: 54
UK: 24 (almost half of all shows!!!!)
IE:1
De: 4
No:3
US:2
AT:2
TR:1
F:1
CH:1
Ru:1
LY:1
JP:1
TH:1
HK:1
SG:1
TW:1
ES:1
PE:1
NL:1
DK:1
BE:1

2007:
Total: 87
UK: 26
IE:2
US: 25
DE:7
ES:5
CA:4
No: 3
JP:2
CL:1
AR:1
LU:1
FR:1

Well I'm thankful that I could use a train and see them in Munich...yes..not my country as well..but hell I'm just lucky to see them at all...

Sorry but I had my fun and thought I'd share it with you..since it's all about Travis and stuff like that..

now here come my ONLY personal notes I make (everything else was fucking impersonal - so if someone feels offended :) get a therapist :)!)

Ben: get a sock ;) (only one though ;) )
Alex:...ohhh yes the size always matters...what is it with you guys...haha...size is very important :p

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:05 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
I just think

"neglecting" is a very hard word for the fact that they missed the UK only THIS ONE YEAR (actually it's half of a year..since you had plently of shows in 2008). I mean...then lots of other countries have been "neglected" as well...and maybe it is about the selling - but maybe ppl don't really buy records anymore but download them for it is even legal in some places (CH f.i.!)...or maybe Ode was just not as successful in the UK then somewhere else - or what do I know or care...but just because they left out the UK in one lonely year I'd consider the word "neglect" as offensive..

And about this home crowd thing...have you (those who say this) been to other countries to be able to judge? To Argentina for instance? Or Korea?..and I know loooots of English ppl - who woulnd't consider themself as a "home crowd" of a scottish band...but one draws the line where one lives..is that right? Well then I draw it around The EU? Just for the sake of fun... :) America is counted as one country here as well..so surely no one minds...or better Europe :) (As we are not in the EU :) thankfully....)

(somebody get's the joke here..?)

well anyway..I find this thread more amusing than anything else...(cos i can't take it serious anymore..sorry...) so I looked up some numbers...

Maybe it all has something to do - that they're doing half as much shows than usually? Ever thought about that? Ah by the way..it's not 20 shows in the last2 years in the UK but a bit more..Orrr maybe, juuuust maybe they want others for once get as much shows as the UK did before?
True - I really think it's bad they did no gig at all there - but all this shit about "only" 20 shows in 2 years ...if they do 54 shows - 24 shows in the UK of it is rather much - and rather unfair. But no one said something back than about this...ah yes and again: this "20 shows in 2 years.."(Which is also a fact. (As I may quote) A false fact too! Wasnt' there something said about looking up the facts...?...haha..well anyway...

2009:
Total: 36
US: 13
De:6
Mx: 3
JP: 3
CH:2
CA:2
Fr:1
SK:1
NO: 1
SP:1

2008:
Total: 54
UK: 24 (almost half of all shows!!!!)
IE:1
De: 4
No:3
US:2
AT:2
TR:1
F:1
CH:1
Ru:1
LY:1
JP:1
TH:1
HK:1
SG:1
TW:1
ES:1
PE:1
BE:1

2007:
Total: 87
UK: 26
IE:2
US: 25
DE:7
ES:5
CA:4
No: 3
JP:2
CL:1
AR:1
LU:1
FR:1

Well I'm thankfully that I could use a train and see them in Munich...yes..not my country as well..but hell I'm just lucky to see them at all...

I think these numbers shows that Travis do less gigs in general, not only in the UK.

Nell
Nell Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:11 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

I think these numbers shows that Travis do less gigs in general, not only in the UK.

Great now you're saying I could've said this whole thing in just one little sentence?....

Haha...But I agree: they just doing less shows in general - but they should've done at least one show in the UK - but something like 10 shows in the UK would've been unfair...

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:24 PM Quote
I'm looking in the tour archive and actually it seems like we've all been wrong the whole time...

2001 during their "peak" they did 100 shows, 14 of them was in the U.K + 2 in dublin

2000: 100 shows, 5 of them in the U.K and 1 in Dublin.

Actually it proves that they're doing less shows abroad and more shows in the UK than they did 7-8 years ago.

1996 - 1999: During the beginning of their career they mostly toured in the UK though

1997: 146 shows, over 110 of these in the UK or Ireland.

So it's less gigs in the UK and a bit more gigs abroad than 10-12 years ago, but we're all getting less Travis now...

Sorry, but I just had to check it out.

leticia
leticia Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:44 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Fact: We're all getting less Travis!

Yes.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:00 PM Quote
Hmmm ....I tried not to think this.....I decided to share them wiv the world as the world loves them as much as we do and I can understand that they enjoy some better receptions abroad now . As well , UK seem to have a high fashion in music and I think that to do well here again they need EXPOSURE . I feel that the music can't get any better, its already top drawer so its also about timing and so by the time they arrive back we should appreciate them more , yes? That said ...... I do think that they have to touch base :)

ps : Franny likes us to queue in the freezin cold :)

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:39 AM